+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4432Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I had to get rid of a lot of books when I thought I was moving to Ohio (and I do have a Kindle in case you hadn't heard ), but I still have bags and bags of them. That is one of the things I'll have to ask my friend's son who is going to do some carpentry work for me. I could definitely use a lot of book shelves, but I don't have one room that lends itself to a "library".
    Count your blessings!

Could the orgy room double as a library?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

So does this mean we are all going to retire to Massachusetts?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4071818;
    I had to get rid of a lot of books when I thought I was moving to Ohio (and I do have a Kindle in case you hadn't heard ), but I still have bags and bags of them. That is one of the things I'll have to ask my friend's son who is going to do some carpentry work for me. I could definitely use a lot of book shelves, but I don't have one room that lends itself to a "library".
    Gut -- my SIL also has a gazillion books and has non-custom bookshelves on either side of her bed. From IKEA (don't know if you have that in MA). I have the same bookshelf arrangement in my guest room and these bookcases come with optional glass shelves (for less cleaning, ya know). I believe the line is called "Billy."

Since I'm so nosy I just googled IKEA. They have a store in Stoughton, MA and one in New Haven, CT. They also have mail order. For the most part their stuff is pretty well made and the prices are good.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Thanks. I'll look into that. I did get some book shelves at yard sales this summer.
    Count your blessings!

I have some really old books that I like to have out so I stack them together and will sit a lamp on top of them or a really nice knick knack.

btw love your room Gutmutter. It looks so peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4070880;
    We have laying hens. They just started laying eggs a couple of weeks ago and they are now big enough to sell. A woman that I used to work with told me that when we had some eggs to sell, to let her know, so I called her today and told her we had eggs. She asked how much they were. I told her $1.00 a dozen. She kind of hesitated and said, "That much? Well, I still have some in my frig so I'll let you know." Wow! Just Wow! Farm fresh, cage free eggs and she thinks a buck a dozen is too expensive. I told my husband that if we can't get at least that much, I'd throw them down the disposal!
    That's the way I've always felt about selling any kind of baking, art or craft; people always seem to want you to give them a piece, or charge next to nothing. When you add in what it actually costs to produce it, the work involved would not even be half of minimum wage. And yet they gripe.

MRD, Rosie and Bogie will be just fine. Luckily for us, animals can't tell time (But I think they do know if it's been over a day or so since they have seen you). So they are thrilled when we come back from being gone an hour, or all day. Don't feel guilty and convince yourself if they are acting some odd kind of way it's because you are gone all day, just keep treating them the same and they will adjust. I know you can't wait to get them back!
    Last edited by queenb; 09-28-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4071727;
    I know! I'm so excited about living in that room! And there's a BIG (long) living room in the front of the house. Bedroom, bathroom kitchen, and long attic "eaves" room and huge outbuilding, full basement. Sorry. I know I'm obsessed right now.
    Very cool. Don't worry about obsessing. I'm right there with you. I think it's neat that we are going through the same thing. I got the queen bed in my room and have tons of space. I found a white whicker settee for cheap at a consignment shop and have the perfect place to put it. All my bedroom furniture is white wicker (belonged to my grandmother). So the settee will probably be Rosie's bed, but I'm setting up that nook as a reading corner.

Gut we have to much to share.

Glad you are loving yours. I head to SC tomorrow to get stuff and dogs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Have a good trip, MRD - both you and Gut are inspiring me to enjoy my house even more and put some excitement into taking care of it. After 20 years in the same house, I take it for granted and sometimes overlook things that could be better for very little effort. I am currently working on my bedroom, making new curtains after painting, moving furniture, etc. I found some artwork in my cupboard that looks very nice on the walls, how about that! My husband likes it, I think. I got a new duvet cover today which will be nice when it is cold out.

I have some things I plan to get rid of, too. I am sure there is someone nearby that can use my extras...

Thanks for sharing your stories!
    Last edited by Cootie; 09-29-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Hubby and I don't have anything as exciting as a house, but after 12 1/2 years in the same apartment, we moved into a different unit in the same complex (same size & layout, but quieter & cooler location in the complex) in July.

We were surprised at how much stuff we'd accumulated, and didn't even know it was possible to accumulate so much stuff in a storage-challenged one-bedroom apartment! We threw away the crappy stuff and donated boxes and boxes of good stuff that we didn't want/didn't have room for. (We're committed to "no clutter.")

We couldn't afford new furniture, but we put our stuff in different places so that our new apartment would look different from the old one. The way we rearranged it makes it look bigger than the old place (lack of clutter, too) -- but I doubt we'd have taken the time to revamp the old place.

When we had our staycation in August, we put fresh flowers in the living room and referred to our place as the "vacation rental" for that week. (It was new enough at that point so that we could fool ourselves!) Actually, we've kept up with the fresh flowers, as we can get really nice ones for cheap at the farmers' markets.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread