+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6925Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I saw a sign that wanted 2.99/dozen (or it could have been 3.99) for farm fresh eggs. $1.00 is CHEAP.

I agree, $1.00 a dozen is cheap. I buy farm fresh eggs from the farmers market for about $2.00 a dozen.

$1 a dozen for farm fresh eggs?! That's so cheap! I think I pay $3 or $4 for a half dozen, and they aren't farm fresh, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4070880;
    We have laying hens....She asked how much they were. I told her $1.00 a dozen. She kind of hesitated and said, "That much? ...Farm fresh, cage free eggs and she thinks a buck a dozen is too expensive....
    On what planet is a buck a dozen -- especially for farm-fresh, cage-free, (organic?)--eggs expensive?!! Shoot, that's cheap for even the crappy factory-farmed, salmonella-tainted eggs. At least in my neck of the woods. I gladly pay twice that (give or take) at Trader Joe's for free-range organic. (And TJ's is relatively cheap.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

In the United States, free range chicken eggs are not regulated; they do not need to come from free range chickens, it's an unregulated marketing label only. There are no requirements which must be met by producers who sell eggs as free range, and so paying these higher prices is just throwing money away. Know what you're paying for. Do your own research.
    And even 'free range chickens" are only required to have 'some access" to outside, even if it's just a window or tiny area to go out which might be anything from pasture to gravel or concrete. There are no rules that give more space per chicken than for any other farming method.
    Again, research. methods

If you are talking about eggs or chickens raised right where you buy them, and you see how they are cared for, great. I have a friend whose chickens have the run of the farm and they are much better tasting, and I'm happy to pay more on the occasion al trip there.. if you can't see for yourself, though, suit yourself, but personally I will not pay more for commercially raised so called free range poultry/eggs that still come from factory farms, and are not even legally required to fe farmed by organic.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

My ex was giving us eggs when he got chickens. They were often covered with fecal matter that I had to wash off if I wanted to use them. It was really gross. Do you wash them? I would be loathe to buy from an individual again after that experience.
    Current avatar is "before" of my room with a view. It's where my soapstone woodstove and big round blue chair will go. Right now it's piled with boxes and stuff.
    Count your blessings!

I wash the eggs, but they are usually pretty clean. My husband keeps the hen house really clean and they have nests that are up off the ground, where they lay their eggs. We also gather every day so they don't get much of a chance to get dirty.

That is one awesome window Gutmutter. I'm so glad this all worked out so well for you.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

She probably thought you would give them to her $1.00 is cheap, next time go up on the price...she might buy them. People make me crazy... I had a gararge sale, had a nick nack priced .25 and a woman asked me if I would take a .05...

Love your room with a view... I bet the fall color will be outstanding... do you have any dogwood or sasafras trees ? I'm jealous of the soapstone stove...
    good book, comfy chair, warm stove and great view..... ahhh...

I know! I'm so excited about living in that room! And there's a BIG (long) living room in the front of the house. Bedroom, bathroom kitchen, and long attic "eaves" room and huge outbuilding, full basement. Sorry. I know I'm obsessed right now.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How wonderful! Your house looks like fun! The cool part is that you are only limited by your imagination. Are you going to have another library?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread