+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5770Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

We had a very pleasant experience today. My husband went to sign up for Social Security and he wanted me to go with him. The man who did the application was such a nice and pleasant man. We left there feeling as if we'd visited with a friend. He is blind and had a braille attachment to his computer. I couldn't see it really well, but would like to have seen how it worked. He had a picture on his desk (don't know why) of the Mackinaw Bridge and we talked about that and several other topics. Isn't it great to deal with someone like that when so many workers are dour and unpleasant?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Can I ask you guys something? I read today that Julio Iglesias and his girlfriend are going to have their fifth child together.

It also said that his marriage to Isabel Preysler was annulled in 1978--he has 3 children with her and they were married for 8 years or so. How does one go about getting a marriage annulled? Do you just throw enough money at the church until they give you one? Does that make his 3 kids with her "bastards"? The whole thing just sounds crazy and off.

Iglesias also has three adult children from his marriage to Isabel Preysler, which was annulled in 1978.

http://people.aol.com/people/article...553755,00.html

Didn't Ted Kennedy also get an annulment from Joan? I think so anyway. I have also wondered how that works. You may have the answer though, when you mention the money.

And if he (Iglesias) is such a devout Catholic, why's he having children out of wedlock with his girlfriend?

Muduh, I think you're right about Ted Kennedy. And if he didn't, he tried awfully hard to get one... grrrr...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I think I remember someone I used to work with was thinking about getting an annulment, and I want to say that I remember she had this huge questionnaire that she had to fill out and return. That's about all I can remember about it, though. I think that once you get married in the Catholic church, you are considered married forever...unless the marriage is officially annulled. You can always divorce and remarry outside the church but, in the eyes of the church you are always married to the person that you married in the Catholic church. At least that's the way it used to be, I do believe. I don't know the ramifications for the children whose parents got an annulment. The person that I knew didn't have any children.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

One of my old high school girlfriends got an annulment for her first marriage.....married in the Church at 19 (to a non-Catholic) and realized at 21what a big mistake that marriage was. She was raised Catholic, but wasn't really all that into it. Her mother was also Catholic and divorced her first husband. When she married again, she just had a civil ceremony. I would still see her in Church every now and then, but she never received Communion (since she had not gotten an annulment from her first marriage, she could not receive any of the sacraments, etc.)

So my old friend got a divorce from this guy. Then she met "Mr. Right" and I really think it was he who pushed for the annulment. He was also Catholic, had never been married before and wanted to be married in the Church. So the only way she could get married in the Church was to get an annulment.

She first went to her parish priest who gave her the info about how to go about getting this whole thing started. She also had to fill out a huge questionnaire. Then she met with a panel of priests at the Diocesan Center and deal through them....it was not something that was done on the parish level. She and her first husband had no kids, so maybe her quest was not as complicated as one who does have kids.

She never mentioned anything about money involved, so I don't really know anything about that. At the time of her annulment, she was 24 and had gone back to college, her soon-to-be husband was 28 and a teacher. Neither really had any money. She did say that she had to read the Bible though, so maybe there was a quiz from the priests before she could get an annulment. Who knows! I do know that it was a long drawn-out affair and took quite a while from start to finish....like almost 2 years to finally get the annulment.

As far as children are concerned, the Catholic Church does NOT consider them to be illegitimite kids.

MRD
    I have a friend who is Catholic and her daughter has a baby out of wedlock. It's ok to do that, but its not ok to "live in sin" with the baby's father. Her baby was allowed to be baptized. My friend was saying that its not ok to teach birth control, but that then its ok to have a baby out of wedlock.

and the church does do things according to how much money you throw at them. We had a similar experience in our family when my brother went to marrry a Catholic. The priest actually asked for a "donation" to speed up the wedding as my future SIL was pregnant. I'm sure that not everyone has to spend money, but I'm sure the money helps.

Now for a different story. I posted about my 2 day job in bad bosses. It's taken me until today to even be able to write about the experience it was so bad and I quit on Tues.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Oh, Rosie, that's too bad! You were so excited, it sucks to have it go sour so soon.
    (off to read your post....)

Back now... Well, there isn't much to say about someone like that other than you were right to quit with your integrity intact. Didn't you post earlier that the head office was fed up with him because he has driven off so many employees? I wonder what he has on them that they keep ignoring these red flags.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 11-03-2006 at 09:25 AM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

myrosiedog, I'm so sorry. I hope you're feeling better not having to deal with that jerk anymore!

MRD
    Thanks. I now know that both the employment agency and this man totally misrepresented the job to me, so now I have to question the integrity of the staffing service as well.

I won't be as naive next time. I know there is no perfect job or perfect boss, but there is something better than this situation.

And I'm glad to know that when the cards are on the table, I'm not willing to compromise myself and my beliefs. At least I can sleep at night and hold my head up.

I don't know how this idiot can do it nor the rep at the staffing agency.

And the head office isn't happy, so maybe now that I've quit, they'll check into why he has such a turn around. And they have to know he's a jerk or maybe not. But its not my worry anymore.

I appreciate the support from you guys more than you know.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread