+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6975Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4065131;
    Congratulations on your new house, Gut!!!!

I hope you'll post some pics once you get settled in a little bit.

That must have been scary for you son when he started swelling up so much. I wonder if there was some weird chemical in the sushi that made him ill.
    Unfortunately, some of us are just violently, allergic to certain foods. It's called anaphylaxis. When your blood pressure drops and your breathing is compromised, it's called anaphylactic shock. It can be life-threatening. It's not the food; it's our internal makeup. I can eat all of the shellfish I want, but white fishes are my life-threatening Achille's heel. You learn to spend a lot of cautious time asking what is in certain dishes, or simply making other choices. And being consciously aware of where the nearest hospital ER is. People who are viciously allergic to stings are known to carry epi pens; I don't know of any people with food allergies who do. We just know to stay away from the offender.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Most people with nut and shellfish allergies carry epi-pens (or should).

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4065318;
    Unfortunately, some of us are just violently, allergic to certain foods. It's called anaphylaxis. When your blood pressure drops and your breathing is compromised, it's called anaphylactic shock. It can be life-threatening. It's not the food; it's our internal makeup. I can eat all of the shellfish I want, but white fishes are my life-threatening Achille's heel. You learn to spend a lot of cautious time asking what is in certain dishes, or simply making other choices. And being consciously aware of where the nearest hospital ER is. People who are viciously allergic to stings are known to carry epi pens; I don't know of any people with food allergies who do. We just know to stay away from the offender.
    I've never visited this thread before; but, did tonight and wanted to add to this. I have 2 friends with food allergies that carry epi-pens. (I think one would be okay with out - her allergies aren't that bad they are just to really commonly used and not listed ingredients and the other is deathly allergic to any shellfish, even the smallest trace sets her off.) But I actually go into anaphylactic shock if I have ibuprofen and don't carry an epi-pen, just stay away from it and wear a medical id bracelet.

Having gone through it I'm glad that gutmutter's son is okay. It can be really scary to go through.

If I carried an epi pen it would, no doubt, expire before I had a need to use it. You just learn to ask questions and avoid anything questionable. I've dealt with it all of my life. People are extremely understanding when I start giving them the 3rd degree about what is in the food; I've even had them go back to the kitchen to ask the chef. I've learned that white fish is commonly used as a filler in certain restaurant foods.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Thank you for the discussion on food allergies and epi-pens. The scary part is he ate so many different things at the buffet, there's no way to tell what caused it. I'll discuss the epi-pen question with him.
    I'll get some better pictures today, but this is my new house on the edge of a nature preserve.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 09-21-2010 at 05:50 AM.
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We live on the outskirts of the Phoenix metropolitan area, but still NOT in an rural area. I thought.

A couple of months ago, we had a brown bear in our enclosed yard. Fish & Game wardens tranquilized him nearby and returned him to the national forest. Last night and this morning, we had a SKUNK in our yard. Thank goodness, the dog didn't mess with it. I called our community patrol, and they said that they catch them near the community lakes periodically. We don't live on the lake!

This city slicker is NOT amused!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

FORT Fogey

AZChristian -- maybe that is why they call it the "wild west?"

Gut! Its adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4065686;
    We live on the outskirts of the Phoenix metropolitan area, but still NOT in an rural area. I thought.

A couple of months ago, we had a brown bear in our enclosed yard. Fish & Game wardens tranquilized him nearby and returned him to the national forest. Last night and this morning, we had a SKUNK in our yard. Thank goodness, the dog didn't mess with it. I called our community patrol, and they said that they catch them near the community lakes periodically. We don't live on the lake!

This city slicker is NOT amused!
    I live near downtown in the largest city in Canada and we have skunks galore. Fortunately I happen to love skunks (they're so cuuuuute ) so they're not a problem for me. Not far from us there is a ravine that is surrounded on both sides by dense housing and runs from one main streetcar route (technically a highway) to another main streetcar route, and in that ravine reside coyotes. And Mr. Rattus goes for a lengthy walk every weekend morning down at the beach, which is again surrounded by dense housing and crowded with dogwalkers even at 5:30 in the morning, and recently down there he has seen foxes, rabbits, beavers, a deer and an otter. Because I am disturbingly lazy, my sole urban wildlife spottings (apart from the aforementioned skunks, and of course, racoons and squirrels) is a couple of milk snakes, a pair of northern ravens and a gyrfalcon.

Personally I am delighted that the beasts have finally said, to hell with it, I'm not being pushed off my land anymore, and are doing their best to survive in an increasingly hostile world.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4065485;
    Thank you for the discussion on food allergies and epi-pens. The scary part is he ate so many different things at the buffet, there's no way to tell what caused it. I'll discuss the epi-pen question with him.
    I'll get some better pictures today, but this is my new house on the edge of a nature preserve.
    I'm sure the ER docs have already told him to see an allergist for testing. I found that to be a very un-fun, but necessary thing to do. You can even have a reaction while it's happening, but they monitor you closely and are ready for whatever may come. They told me that I was also strongly allergic to chicken and green beans, but I have never reacted to either. I'd rather them be wrong about something than miss something huge. I no longer go to the allergist, but I stopped them from testing me for what I know is going to make me miserable since I just stay away from it.

+ Reply to Thread