+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6433Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I had mine last October after the prep it was a piece of cake. Even the prep wasn't so bad aside from the quantity I had to drink. During the actual procedure I was watching it on the screen and was up shortly thereafter. The only they I didn't care for was that they insisted I have someone for a ride home.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Shay,

I had to take my first about 13 years ago because of IBS problems.
    I went without anesthetic and didn't find it at all painful.
    I liked the stuff they gave you back then a lot more than what they give you now. The new stuff, I think it's called go lytely or some such aptly named thing, is not all that bad, though.
    I took my 2nd with anesthetic. Like I said, neither was really bad, though.
    I actually prefer it in many ways to certain other, ahem, ridiculous exams, that befall us ladies.
    Good Luck! You're doing a great thing by getting the test!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Shay, I was scared, too, when I had mine last year. None of it was as bad as I was anticipating. The prep wasn't horrible -- no cramping, just having to walk (not run, which I was dreading) to the bathroom often. And my gastroenterology office, as standard procedure, gives everyone light anesthesia -- so I slept through the whole thing. They found and removed two tiny (the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen) polyps, thus preventing that particular possibility of cancer. The only trauma was the bill afterwards: a $500 copay.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4060805;
    I had to schedule a screening colonoscopy today. It doesn't happen until the first week in October. That gives me, almost, a whole month of anxiety to work on. Everybody says it isn't the test so much as it is the prep that will be the drag. I did have a friend die from colon cancer about 2 years ago, so that is when it really started coming home to me that I should do something. Can't believe it took me this long to do it. I am not a good patient. I just wish I was going in on the "buddy plan"! Then, it might not be so nerve-wracking.
    I had one a year ago after putting if off for about 5 years. The prep involved great quantities of liquids that tasted unpleasant, they taste better cold, by the way if you have the go litely stuff. I may have had something called half litely or something like that. The drugs they used on me during the procedure were wonderful and I woke up feeling extremely hungry! Most of all, I was relieved to hear that I got a clean bill of health and didn't need another for 10 years! I hope your procedure goes smoothly - don't worry on it too much, just follow what your doctor says to do to prepare.

MRD

Shay I've had 2, don't get anxious.

Here is my advice for the prep.
    Clean the bathroom and put in some candles. Take your portable music in there and play your favorite stuff. Put in reading material. Buy some wet wipes with aloe (bum tends to get a little sore after a few times of going).
    Make the bathroom pleasant and inviting because you will be in there a lot.
    But other than that the hardest part for me? Having to eat yellow jello and chicken broth for 2 days. I hate jello. The stuff you drink isn't that great, but you can get it down. And then it's just go, go, go.

The procedure is easy, they knock you out. Make sure that whoever takes you has time to stop for lunch on the way home. I swear as soon as I was released I could have eaten a car seat so we stopped for lunch.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I must have been knocked out more than you guys because I don't even remember the car ride home.
    Count your blessings!

Way to put a humorous spin. MRD, I was rolling about how "romantic" your bathroom visual was!

I had to do the prep before abdominal surgery, and wasn't told to eat anything special prior, so maybe that was just your doctor's way of 'helping' MRD.
    Anyway, Phroshay, I bet you are going to be at how apprehensive you were just as soon as it's over!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The literature says I'm having Versed for my medication, and maybe some pain medication (why?) which has always been wonderful for me. I also have a scrip for 2 phenergan for the prep phase, should I need it. I can have clear liquids (cola, included), and nothing red the day before. Not that I would want it, but I can even have beer or white wine the day before....which I'm pretty sure would make me need the phenergan. The instructions say to leave the jug of liquid sitting on the counter, do not refrigerate. Luckily, the ER is super-close to home, as is kind of around the corner. Thanks for the suggestions on getting ready. Now, the big decision will be what to eat afterward! Will I still have "the trots" when it's over? I think everybody has had one of these things, but me! I'm glad to be joining the club!

And, mrd, I've been looking for a reason to go Yankee Candle shopping! I was just on their site last night!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 09-15-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

You're right prhoshay, it's the prep that is the pain, but that isn't even so bad. The actual procedure is a breeze and the benefits far outweigh any inconvenience the prep causes. I was really nervous before my first colonoscopy too, though, so I understand where you're coming from.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread