+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6755Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

What kind words! Thank you, dragonlady!

Here's my next aggravation: I moved into my neighborhood 11 years ago, and marveled at how quiet it was. My (then) high school son hated it because it was toooo quiet, in his estimation; the heck with it that it was within 3-4 blocks walking distance of his high school (he was just going into 9th grade). People who visited at how quiet the neighborhood was; I was really tickled with my purchase. Then....some people moved in 2 doors down from me who had a lot of visitors...young people....and here came the bumping, thumping speakers. Eventually, they quieted down and the visitors decreased. Hallelujah! My used-to-be next door neighbors (I called them 'The Darlings') then lost their home to foreclosure. I thought I was happy that they were gone....4 boys, from toddler to teenager.... a few minor problems that I handled with little difficulty. Then came a quiet, religious familly, but they didn't stay long. They were replaced by a single woman who was pretty invisible, and had a noisy male friend who would arrive to bumping and thumping music. He, eventually, disappeared (I thought I was in really good shape, then), but not long after, I started hearing the bumping, thumping again. Came to find out that it was HER!!! I could not believe my eyes!!! You usually don't hear women coming down the street with that kind of noise....usually just guys needing attention. I am in shock and awe. I have a great sound system in my car, too, but I don't feel the need to bang it. The main difference seems to be that, at least, when the woman pulls into her driveway that she seems to turn the noise off shortly after she gets into the driveway....the gentleman friend didn't. She jusst gives me about 5 seconds of booming....which seems like 30 minutes. What to do, what to do? She is interfering with my enjoyment of my property. Growl, grumble.....!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The gentleman friend disappeared and so she's sending out a mating call??

Wanna trade problems?
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gut how are things going with your house? I've been able to finally meditate again and I've been sending you good positive energy for the house.

Shay, I like to crank up the volume, but as I listen to classic rock and I have a crappy sound system in my car, I don't think I thump. Or maybe I do. Sorry you have to deal wtih that. I'm just happy to be away from my neighbors whose visitors used the car horn as a doorbell.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I work at a Pizza Place. Tonight I answered the phone and a lady said, "Can I order a pizza?"
    Me: "Sure can. What would you like?"
    Lady: "We haven't discussed it yet so I'll have to call you back. What's your number?"
    Which leaves me somewhat speechless, so I say, "Excuse me?"
    Lady (in a snotty voice): "I need your number so I can call you back!"
    Me: "But, you just called us."
    Lady (getting angry): "I had to call information to get your number. I don't know it!"
    Obviously it never crossed her mind to write it down. So, I gave her the number, trying not to burst out laughing and irritate her any more.
    Every time you think you've heard it all...
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

prhoshay, my husband and I moved into a different apartment in our same complex this July (with moving expenses putting a good-sized strain on our recession-era budget) because of the noise from the pool just outside our window. When we moved in 12 years ago, it was a nice, quiet, mostly childfree adult complex, where the pool was relaxing and pleasant. Then a couple years ago, the rednecks and breeders moved in, and management changed. The "quiet clause" in the lease and rules sheet were no longer enforced, and the new assistant manager made the pool her personal "rowdy weekend party" venue -- so between April and mid-November there's constant pool noise between the screaming kids and inconsiderate "adults." Ugggghhhh! What good is an ocean breeze if you can't open the windows because of the obnoxious noise? Ironically, our current next-to-the-liquor-store unit is way quieter than our former next-to-the-church (another noisy story!) poolside apartment.
    Last edited by Ellen; 09-09-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Shay,
    I completely understand your problems with noisy neighbors. We just moved in January due to our once peaceful home (area) becoming too much to bear.
    Our neighbors were on the noisy side ( I won't even mention how messy they were and let their property look bad) but it was just horrorific when their son became 13 and took up the DRUMS! We got all new windows that mostly kept out the noise but like another poster here said, what's the point of living in a great area (for us, the foothills of the mountains) if you can't open your windows? Then the teen started having his very boisterous friends over to swim and the loud music became constant and no amount of talking to the parents helped. They really weren't home that much so they didn't care. I think that mortgage boom allowed a lot of people to buy homes that really didn't respect other people. Ours was an expensive solution but this time we made sure our neighbors are far enough away to avoid this problem. I just get frustrated that manners and courtesy are a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4058179;
    Shay,
    I completely understand your problems with noisy neighbors. We just moved in January due to our once peaceful home (area) becoming too much to bear.
    Our neighbors were on the noisy side ( I won't even mention how messy they were and let their property look bad) but it was just horrorific when their son became 13 and took up the DRUMS! We got all new windows that mostly kept out the noise but like another poster here said, what's the point of living in a great area (for us, the foothills of the mountains) if you can't open your windows? Then the teen started having his very boisterous friends over to swim and the loud music became constant and no amount of talking to the parents helped. They really weren't home that much so they didn't care. I think that mortgage boom allowed a lot of people to buy homes that really didn't respect other people. Ours was an expensive solution but this time we made sure our neighbors are far enough away to avoid this problem. I just get frustrated that manners and courtesy are a thing of the past.
    When I was growing up, the neighbors behind us had a teenage son who played the drums. Luckily, his parents were really good about scheduling his practice time. He only practiced for maybe an hour just after dinner. Once we got used to it, it was actually kind of cool to hear how good he got. I think you're definitely right about the housing boom allowing people who normally wouldn't have bought homes, to afford to buy. Unfortunately, some of them are the people who really should have a landlord around to crack down on them because they're not mature enough to handle the responsibility of behaving like considerate adults.

I live in a very quiet little community, so I do notice when there's any kind of noise from stereos (car or otherwise) or parties. I try to not get too upset about it because it doesn't happen very often. I say this in spite of the fact that I was fuming last night when I giant flatbed tow truck backed up the lane, beeping all the way, and then parked in front of MY house to unload my neighbors dead car. The last place I lived was a bigger, gated community where, although the management cracked down on the problem tenants, it was still noisy. That many people living that close to one another is just noisier. It took me months to get used to how much quieter it is here.

My big beef is that my neighbor stands out in front of my house to smoke (it's sort of like an old 1950's motor court-looking group of cottages, so he's close to my front door) and all the d@mn smoke comes into my house....and I always realize it after the whole house already stinks of it. I have fantasies about turning the hose on him
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Can you put a sprinkler on a "timer"?-timed to go off every time he smokes?

They do make motion detector sprinklers designed to water varmints in the garden...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread