+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7189Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4035421;
    I really dislike that when people tell me that also. I have just been diagnosed with male midlife depression and have been prescribed a med to produce serotonen in my brain. Looking back in hindsight I now see it has been coming for about 2 years or so. Just got to the point on Monday when I woke up and said I can't go to work, I don't want to deal with anything, forget it.

Fortunately for me my associate Bob at work when I went in Tuesday has been through this and is still on meds once in a while and told me in no uncertain terms to call my doctor, which is where I went yesterday.

If anyone even thinks of telling me to "tough it out" or "snap out of it" or "think positive" I swear they will get their faces ripped off verbally.
    Otherwise called MAN-o-pause Sorry, I had to point it out. Do give the meds a couple of weeks; you may find that just the idea of working on this will help some--it did when I figured out how messed up I was years ago. I still take a med, but even if I run out I do a lot better. I'm not going to tell you to just snap out of it, but I would like to see you put a day of "me time on the calender once every 2 weeks when the meds have time to start working. That is the best medicine, for me at least. I found myself getting a bit down recently with my school workload, unemployment, etc. So yesterday I got in the car and drove about 100 miles to a peach orchard, picked up a couple of boxes, and came back the back way stopping at junk shops and so forth (with no money I was 'safe") ...it really, really helps.

And I do know this is real; I am currently taking a basic Abnormal Psychology class, and you can tell which students have never had any mental problems with themselves or family. I'm shocked that even today, 20 year old kids are hmpf-ing and saying that everything from depression to schizophrenia is somehow caused by trauma, bad parents, or whatever--somehow implying that if the sufferer were a bit 'stronger', this wouldn't happen. Idiots--don't pay attention to them!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

queenb - Bob and I laugh about MAN O Pause, but it is quite real although there are a lot of skeptics. I also received a prescription yesterday for Vitamin D3 as my vitamin D level was below the low end of the range.

thanks for your input.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Gut Glad to hear you arrived back safe and sound. I guess the non move work out good for you after all.
    just1paul Take care of yourself, I've been missing your witty posts.
    queenb Sounds like you needed some time off too. Glad you took some me time.
    The peaches around here have not been good, but we have gotten some nice ones from Publix that were grown in Georgia.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4035421;
    I really dislike that when people tell me that also. I have just been diagnosed with male midlife depression and have been prescribed a med to produce serotonen in my brain. Looking back in hindsight I now see it has been coming for about 2 years or so. Just got to the point on Monday when I woke up and said I can't go to work, I don't want to deal with anything, forget it.

Fortunately for me my associate Bob at work when I went in Tuesday has been through this and is still on meds once in a while and told me in no uncertain terms to call my doctor, which is where I went yesterday.

If anyone even thinks of telling me to "tough it out" or "snap out of it" or "think positive" I swear they will get their faces ripped off verbally.
    A friend was talking to me a couple days ago and I could tell it was coming and I cut her off and said: "If you tell me how strong I am, then I'm going to punch you right dead in the face!"

Sorry to hear you have been depressed Paul. It sucks. I've had it for close to 30 years now. The meds work. If they don't, go back to the dr. there are many kinds of meds and they all work differently on different people.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4037230;
    A friend was talking to me a couple days ago and I could tell it was coming and I cut her off and said: "If you tell me how strong I am, then I'm going to punch you right dead in the face!"
    That IS exactly what I did yesterday. "Either you stop telling me what I should do or feel or you WILL find your face ripped off."
    - The Dean Martin Show -

I was so exhausted last night, I kept nodding off while I was typing my posts. Glad to find they're not pure dribble.
    I unloaded the rest of the van this morning, returned it, went to the dump, went to visit a friend on hospice, stocked up on groceries, and now I'm going to give the dog a bath.
    Then I am going to do nothing the rest of the day but read or sew my fabric piece while I watch tv. The fabric piece is really coming along. One of the things I got from Ohio was my digital camera, so now I can give you an idea of what it will look like.
    Count your blessings!

Paul, I have to give a to queenb. Depression suuuucks. I went through it for a number of years and was on medicine for a while. Better now. What I found was, once they got my dosage right and the meds built up in my system, I didn't even think about it. One day I just realized I felt better. I have no doubt that you will too

People who talk about how people with depression need to just suck it up and get over it have clearly never suffered from it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but sometimes I do wish those kinds of people could have clinical depression for even a week. They'd never tell anyone to get over it again.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4037139;
    ...my vitamin D level was below the low end of the range...
    Mine too (like way LOW low) -- which shocked the hell outta me, since for work alone I'm in the sun for four hours per day. I put on sunscreen before work, but I never reapply during my shift. Which now makes me wonder if it's really important to reapply as often as "they" tell you to.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4037692;
    Mine too (like way LOW low) -- which shocked the hell outta me, since for work alone I'm in the sun for four hours per day. I put on sunscreen before work, but I never reapply during my shift. Which now makes me wonder if it's really important to reapply as often as "they" tell you to.
    An average of 15 minutes per day is supposed to be enough for an adult to maintain Vitamin D levels. You may be well aware of vitamin D's part in building better bones, but did you know it might also help in the battle of the bulge? Unfortunately, many of us are not getting enough D; in fact, are even D-deficient. Overweight individuals are especially at risk.

Excess body fat absorbs and holds onto vitamin D, making it unavailable to the body. The absence of vitaminD creates interference with the functioning of a hormone called leptin, which signals to the brain that you are full and should stop eating. In addition, overweight people tend to spend more time
    indoors. This also deprivesthem from further D as the ultraviolet rays of the sun spur the production of D.

Luckily, replenishing vitamin D in the bloodstream to normal levels restores leptin's actions. Getting enough vitaminD, namely 800 to 1,000 International Units (IU) a day can be a challenge from diet sources alone. Supplementation is often needed. Multivitamins typically provide 400 IU. Actually the best source of D is that which is derived from the sun as this form stays in the body longer with greater lasting benefits. Plus, a little goes a long way. Ten minutes of unprotected sun (as sunscreen blocks the useful UV rays) three times a week is enough. After 10 minutes, apply the sunscreen.

Yet many of us who live in the Northern half of the U.S. make little to no D from sunshine during the winter months through early spring. So along with your "multi", choose among the sampling of D containing foods:

Pink salmon, canned (3 oz) 530 IU
    Catfish (3 oz, raw) 425
    Sardines, canned in oil (3 oz) 230
    Tuna fish, light, canned (3 oz) 201
    Fortified orange juice (8 oz) 100
    Fortified nonfat milk (8 oz) 98
    Dannon Light'n Fit nonfat yogurt (6 oz) 80
    Cereal, dry, most brands (1 cup) 40
    - The Dean Martin Show -

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4037310;
    Paul, I have to give a to queenb. Depression suuuucks. I went through it for a number of years and was on medicine for a while. Better now. What I found was, once they got my dosage right and the meds built up in my system, I didn't even think about it. One day I just realized I felt better. I have no doubt that you will too

People who talk about how people with depression need to just suck it up and get over it have clearly never suffered from it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but sometimes I do wish those kinds of people could have clinical depression for even a week. They'd never tell anyone to get over it again.
    I know what you mean. I was diagnosed when I was 21. 27 years ago. Back when you didn't talk about it. It still had a stigma, etc. Now so many people are on anti-depressants I think instead of flouride, they need prozac in the water supply.

But yeah, until you've experienced you have no idea. I was trying to explain it to a friend once and I said:

"you might as well get a whole new name because you are NOT you at all and don't feel or act like you, so you should get renamed". She kind of got it that way.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, it's a horrible, hopeless feeling. Some days it was too much to even take a shower and get dressed. And I spent years going through meds until I found one that would work well for me. I apparantly have very strange and odd reactions to a lot of the anti-depressants.

I know everyone means well and I do really appreciate that they are thinking about me, praying for me, etc. I am lucky to have good friends and support and people that care enough to say something positive to me. But I've heard the strong word about 2 zillion times and it is starting to really po me. I know I'm strong. I've been strong before, I'll probably find strong again, right now I'm struggling and telling me to be strong or that I AM strong isn't really helping at the moment. For once I think I'd like someone to say:

"Well you know, this sucks pretty bad doesn't it?" I think I'm at the commiserate stage, not the motivational stage right now. I'll hit motivational one day soon. Right now while not totally wallowing in it, I am indulging in the times when my emotions get the best of me. And those days are getting farther and farther apart.

Went out with a BUNCH of friends last night to see another friends band play and they did Bon Jovi's "who says you can't go home" and they dedicated it to me.
    But walking into the bar (not out of it after drinking), I fell and I have a bruise the size of a saucer on my hip. Last night couldn't even sleep on that side it was hurting so bad. It's still sore. But what a graceful move. And I had not yet even had a drink. Go figure.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread