+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5955Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2124087;
    Happy Halloween all! This past week i've been trying to get my 22 month old used to his Halloween costume. He screams as soon as I get it out of the bag . Today, they are having a Halloween party at daycare so I still brought the costume in a bag. Well of course mister sees all the kids dressed up and next thing you know, the teacher is putting it on him and he doesn't say a peep. Looks like tonight's trick or treating might happen after all.
    It cracks me up that kids that small can recognize how other kids are dressed! What costume did you send him off with?

Muduh, what a great and thoughtful idea! It saddens me that their own children aren't doing this for them, but who knows--they might not even have any family. I'm sure it cheers up their day and makes it a wonderful Christmas for them.

Myrosiedog, I hear where you're coming from. I used to buy gifts for all the family, friends, their kids, our neighbors, etc. and it just got to be overwhelming. Now I buy birthday and Christmas gifts for the husband, our parents, and my nieces and nephews until they are 18 (and of course anyone else who invites us to a Christmas or birthday party). Once they reach 18, no more gifts--but I do send them a nice check every year while they're in college so they'll have some extra money for pizza, books, etc.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 10-31-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2124209;
    It cracks me up that kids that small can recognize how other kids are dressed! What costume did you send him off with?
    You should have seen his face when he saw his teachers all dressed up. He usually runs to them and hugs them. Not this time. He stood back and waited until his teacher spoke. Then he realized it was her and not Pocahontas, and he hugged her. I found this adorable dragon suit at old navy. It's stuffed so it's warm enough for him to go out a little tonight.

About that gift thing, don't you just know that many of those people would love to stop the gift giving, too? One of my friends has exchanged gifts with two of her oldest friends for over thirty years that I know of. For at least fifteen of those years she has complained to me about it. She never knew what to get, and of course that is understandable. Well a couple of years ago she told me that one of the women just came out and told them that she no longer wanted to exchange gifts, just maybe get together for cake and coffee or something. I don't think they even did THAT last year. I told her she could have sure saved herself a lot of trouble if she'd stopped it way back when.

Why is it a group of people can all be thinking that same thing, but no one wants to speak up? I finally told my sister no more gifts for my husband and me. It kind of cancels things out when we give each other gift cards of the same denomination.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I've wanted to start a family gift exchange for Christmas for years, but by the time you bring this idea up in August, my one sister already has half of the family's gifts bought!!
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2125338;
    Why is it a group of people can all be thinking that same thing, but no one wants to speak up? I finally told my sister no more gifts for my husband and me. It kind of cancels things out when we give each other gift cards of the same denomination.
    And when the gift you gave was something that you really liked, and the gift you received was something that you didn't like, or want..................

Like a teapot?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Exactly! Another tea pot I do NOT need.

I've had a really frustrating time with this gift giving thing. I have told people flat out that I am no longer on board with gift giving and/or receiving, and have done so year after year, but they still get me gifts. The thing is, I know they're doing it for their own benefit because it makes me feel guilty (though I will NOT reciprocate) and it's hard to believe that people could be so self-involved as to not be aware of that. I, and most of the people I know, are middle-aged, employed with decent incomes, and have been giving our excess belongings to Goodwill and to the landfill for a decade or two and none of us need anything new. So this year, once again, I'm digging in my heels and attempting to halt the gift train. I think I may have to simply refuse receipt of any proffered gifts and hopefully that will actually drive the message home (I have been gracious, albeit embarrassed, in my acceptance in prior years).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2125550;
    Exactly! Another tea pot I do NOT need.
    I bet you are really glad we don't know your address!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread