+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4532Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've been married twice. Spent $1 at a Goodwill inventory sale for my first wedding dress, $30 at Pier 1 for my second wedding dress. I had a no gifts, BYOB policy at both weddings, and while the second wedding was a five minute affair followed by Mr. Rattus going to pick up the motor home for the honeymoon and me going to a bar with my "maid of honour", the first wedding was conceded by all two hundred people who ended up attending (or just wandering in) to be the best wedding they had ever gone to. There may or may not have been photos - don't know, don't care. Both weddings, all in (including licenses), cost me a total of less than $100.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus,
    I think you may have done the right thing! This wedding 'business' has gone overboard. I'll bet your guests had alot more fun with the BYOB than mine did with punch and cake.

Hmmm, sitting here unmarried, with our son in my lap. I do wish to get married, if only for the benefits and increased security of it, but it won't be a church wedding. It wouldn't have been it regardless of when we'd gotten married (before or after our child), we will have a civil ceremony. None of us is a member of a church, so there really is no point in it. Mr. Fatale has always wanted a big party for his wedding, but I'm not sure how that will work now when we have a child. We have not really talked about marriage yet, but maybe soon...?

I have been married almost 39 years and had a very small ceremony in my parents living room with just a few family members. Those big weddings are over rated IMO and so expensive. My daughter followed in my footsteps. She had a ceremony in front of a judge with just witnesses and told us parents hope we didn't get our feelings hurt. Sure saved me lots of money. She had been living with her boyfriend and didn't see the need to have a big wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;4019302;
    Hmmm, sitting here unmarried, with our son in my lap. I do wish to get married, if only for the benefits and increased security of it, but it won't be a church wedding. It wouldn't have been it regardless of when we'd gotten married (before or after our child), we will have a civil ceremony. None of us is a member of a church, so there really is no point in it. Mr. Fatale has always wanted a big party for his wedding, but I'm not sure how that will work now when we have a child. We have not really talked about marriage yet, but maybe soon...?
    My youngest brother recently married, with a traditional ceremony and a big party-type reception (my brother joked that it was too nice of an event for him to be headlining). He and his wife are late 20's/early 30's, and their son was just a month shy of his first birthday on the big day... the little guy made it fine through pictures, the ceremony, and a good portion of the reception before hubby and I took him home. (He's an easy-going baby, and I think being closer to a year old probably helped him handle the festivities without being overwhelmed.) But I just wanted to say that from my perspective, I think if you have friends and family there to help, and it's what you want, then having a wedding and big celebration with a baby is do-able.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And, for those who don't think so, becoming married is definitely different from "just living together". Don't know why, but it surely is.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Re: Bethenny Getting Married?

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix;4018310;
    Tvaholic--
    I think I shouldn't have said 'nightmare wedding' because it turned out to be a fantastic wedding, but rather I should have said it seemed to be a nightmare for the parents of the bride,parents of the groom,the groom, and all the brides friends who were helping her plan this event-- or were affected by it. She wanted it a certain way and come hell or high water, it was going to turn out that way--- and it did. It seemed like everyone involved in it was thrilled when it was over, albeit secretly.

I know my son, his wife and their 5 yr old son who were all in the wedding party went through alot. They had to travel about 3 hours to get to where the wedding was held, missing a day of work to do it, and the expense they put out on their clothes,hair and makeup was shocking. When they agreed to be in the wedding they weren't informed how much it would involve and the price just added and added and they felt like they couldn't back out. After they got to the resort where the wedding was held they were on their own-- it all was very disorganized. But it all looked lovely in the end.

Holly--

I'm about the same age as you it sounds like! I married over 30 yrs ago,too, and planned my wedding in TWO WEEKS! My parents were out of the country and were planning on being back around Christmas,so I threw everything together and ended up having a beautiful Church wedding. Actually, I panicked in the dressing room after peeping out to see the full Church and my mom had to force me to go through with it! I'm glad I did,now.
    Yep St. Croix...I got married back in 1977...I am almost 53. Actually...my mom (my parents were divorced when I was 16 and my dad was no longer in my life) planned the entire wedding...she planned it from NY to be held in Miami Beach (since I was living in Florida with my grandmother and that's where my future husband was). We only had around 75 people...that's all we could afford. Back then, people usually scaled down weddings to fit what they could afford. Nowadays...people don't care if they have to beg, borrow or steal to get what they want. And the funny thing is...when a wedding is so big, that means you probably invited people that you have maybe only seen once in your life and might never see again...rather silly!!!

I used to be a wedding planner and now I'm an instructor for a wedding and event planning course. I've been to more weddings than I can count and I just have never been able to understand spending such a huge amount on one day. From what I saw, the bigger and more expensive the wedding, the more stressed out the bride and her family would be. Small inexpensive weddings always seemed to foster a more intimate, fun vibe. Just my opinion.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

We just had my daughters and it was everything she wanted - the wedding and reception were at a 'hunt & polo club' - think Dirty Dancing style building - old white wood - she got the pool, a huge lawn with cornhole, horseshoes, bocci ball - she felt like a princess at a festival. I guess it really helped that it was a Sunday brunch wedding and no alcohol - but the whole thing was only around $6000, including dress and all. Everyone had a wonderful time, party favors were rubber ducks and squirt guns.
    I love my 'little' girl's sense of style.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;4019747;
    We just had my daughters and it was everything she wanted - the wedding and reception were at a 'hunt & polo club' - think Dirty Dancing style building - old white wood - she got the pool, a huge lawn with cornhole, horseshoes, bocci ball - she felt like a princess at a festival. I guess it really helped that it was a Sunday brunch wedding and no alcohol - but the whole thing was only around $6000, including dress and all. Everyone had a wonderful time, party favors were rubber ducks and squirt guns.
    I love my 'little' girl's sense of style.
    Now THAT sounds like a fun wedding...and you can't beat the cost!

+ Reply to Thread