+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4487Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I am a fan of my frozen water bottles (I use the 1 liter bottles). I fill them about 2/3-3/4 of the way up and store several of them in the freezer for the next day, topping off the empty space with my delicious tap water (not everyone has access to quality tap). I drink it as it melts (it's in one of those bottle wraps), and refill it as I go, if necessary (and it usually is!). I keep 3 bottles in rotation, year round. The envious looks I get are priceless!! The sweating bottles definitely have a psychological effect, too. Luckily, I am not an excessive sweater.

We used to wear polyester uniforms. I found that wearing a white cotton undershirt under it did wonders for my comfort level. Lay in a supply of cotton undershirts. I promise you it will not make you hotter. I often wondered why firefighters wore them; I get it now.

In Jazzercise, we used to freeze wet washcloths (keeping them in a little cooler, in little indiviual plastic bags) and pass them out after the aerobic portion of the class. We only needed to do that in the summer, and they were godsends, making the rest of the class tolerable.

I am super-anti heat and humidity!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3978710;
    In Jazzercise, we used to freeze wet washcloths (keeping them in a little cooler, in little indiviual plastic bags) and pass them out after the aerobic portion of the class. We only needed to do that in the summer, and they were godsends, making the rest of the class tolerable.

I am super-anti heat and humidity!!!
    Me too--if I had been younger when I first went to the the Pacific NW, I'd live there!
    If you have a wide brimmed straw hat, wear it while you are working outside--underneath, fold a washcloth in half and set a Ziploc full of ice on top It lasts a while.
    Also, if you get really hotter than you meant to, I discovered a way to cool down really quickly when I used to work around a horse barn in the summer and would get way too hot, even after drinking almost too much water.
    Get a super cold canned drink, and hold it firmly against the side of your neck for one minute, then switch to the other side--repeat until you feel better. This sounds crazy but really does work; it's saved me from getting sick in the heat quite a few times. I think it cools you down because your jugular vein and carotid artery are in your neck, and you can actually cool off a big enough area there to drop your temperature a bit.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks, guys. It's actually a wee bit cooler today. The entire family slept through the night without waking up drenched in sweat. Hopefully, the worst heat wave is behind us now.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3980754;
    Me too--if I had been younger when I first went to the the Pacific NW, I'd live there!
    If you have a wide brimmed straw hat, wear it while you are working outside--underneath, fold a washcloth in half and set a Ziploc full of ice on top It lasts a while.
    Also, if you get really hotter than you meant to, I discovered a way to cool down really quickly when I used to work around a horse barn in the summer and would get way too hot, even after drinking almost too much water.
    Get a super cold canned drink, and hold it firmly against the side of your neck for one minute, then switch to the other side--repeat until you feel better. This sounds crazy but really does work; it's saved me from getting sick in the heat quite a few times. I think it cools you down because your jugular vein and carotid artery are in your neck, and you can actually cool off a big enough area there to drop your temperature a bit.
    I have learned that when you need to be cooled down, rapidly, cold packs/applications should be placed around the neck, in the armpits, and down your pants (around the groin). Works nicely. Like you cited, this is about getting cooling to your core where your large blood vessels lie closer to the surface of the skin.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3980990;
    Thanks, guys. It's actually a wee bit cooler today. The entire family slept through the night without waking up drenched in sweat. Hopefully, the worst heat wave is behind us now.
    We're getting great use out of our basement. It's a pain having to spend days in the basement (we did watch two full stages of the Tour de France over the weekend), but our little fellow is not too keen on the heat, he's a radiator as it is, no need to make it worse.

The level of my home that is 1/2 underground is really, really comfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;3981421;
    We're getting great use out of our basement. It's a pain having to spend days in the basement (we did watch two full stages of the Tour de France over the weekend), but our little fellow is not too keen on the heat, he's a radiator as it is, no need to make it worse.
    Oh, femme, it must be a real hassle for you having a brand new baby during this heatwave! Last summer had a few scorchers as well, and as I recall, Elsa and Agnes were sprawled on the cool kitchen floor wearing next to nothing for days. Good to hear the basement's working out for you!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I can tolerate heat pretty well. It's cold that I can't deal with. Yesterday it was HOT here. In the 90's with horribly high humidity. What bothers me though, is the stores that have their air conditioning set so low that you almost freeze before you get out of the store. It's too hot outside to wear warmer clothing, but too cold in the stores to wear summer clothes.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I learned that Kroger has its a/c set from its headquarters in Cincinnati....not locally. What kind of crap is that???

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3983559;
    I learned that Kroger has its a/c set from its headquarters in Cincinnati....not locally. What kind of crap is that???
    My employer does that too, but from across town. They said it was to save money, but it backfired at my site and they spent more money (thousands) on the heating bill. It is about control...

+ Reply to Thread