+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6997Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Thanks for the encouragement, Ellen. It's nice to hear real-life success stories.

Have to tell you a funny personal story that I was reminded of when I saw your signature line: "There's no crying in baseball!"

We are huge Pete Rose fans at our house. We know he shouldn't have bet on baseball, but NO ONE has ever full-out played the game like "Charlie Hustle."

Several years ago, I set a goal to lose a pound a week for the whole year. 52 pounds. As a reward, I got hubby to agree that when I hit my goal, we would go to Las Vegas, where Pete Rose signs autographs at the sports memorabilia shop at Caeser's Palace. I was going to meet PETE ROSE!!!

With that incentive, I completed my goal in mid-November, and we made our plans to go to Vegas the first week of December. Sure enough, we walked into the shop, and there he sat. Wow. Just WOW. We walked around, choosing the things we were going to buy to have him autograph. As hubby was paying for our purchases, I was so excited I actually started to cry. Not sobbing, but tears of excitement rolling down my face. My hubby looked at me and said . . . "You can't cry. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!" Made me laugh and helped me get under control so that I could meet Pete and not look like an idiot.

BTW, he was a lovely, gracious man, and our pictures of him signing our stuff and talking to us hold a place of honor among our other baseball stuff. And we have a LOT of baseball stuff!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

That was a sweet story AZ. Although my dad made sure I became a Red Sox fan, he was also a huge Pete Rose fan so your story brings me a smile.

Congrats on reaching your goal!!
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3941507;
    That was a sweet story AZ. Although my dad made sure I became a Red Sox fan, he was also a huge Pete Rose fan so your story brings me a smile.

Congrats on reaching your goal!!
    A funny addendum. As we were talking to Pete, he was asking us questions. He asked why we decided to come to Las Vegas. I told him that meeting him was my reward for losing 52 pounds, and that hubby was NOT upset that I wanted such an odd reward (since he's also a Pete fan). Pete looked at my hubby and said, "You know, if you'd just cut off one of her legs, you'd have been here a lot sooner!"

Gotta him!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3941345;
    We spent our first night with hubby using a cPap machine last night.

I was amazed that it was so quiet. I could really not even hear the machine!

I was amazed that HE was so quiet. His sleep study showed severe obstructive sleep apnea. All I can tell you is that his snoring had gotten so bad that I sometimes made him sleep in the extra bedroom so I could get some sleep. Last night, I had to keep putting my hand on his chest to make sure he was breathing, because there was NO noise.

There will be a period of adjustment for this. Our prayer is that is will happen quickly. He says it's a bit claustrophobic to have this mask on that is forcing air into your lungs. But he's strong and tough. He'll make it! And I'm just grateful that he's breathing much easier when he's asleep.

I just read your post outloud to my hubby and we both laughed. I could have written it 20 years ago! I,too, had to go sleep in another room just to get any sleep at all. My husband had no clue how bad it was until I decided to video tape him one night. After watching himself gasping for breath and even not breathing for LONG stretches of time he agreed to go to a Houston sleep clinic. We knew nothing about sleep apnea, or that his condition even had a name. He got on a CPAP and I was just like you-- I kept feeling his chest to make sure he was alive! That first night was tough for me, but every night since (20 yrs) has been wonderfully quiet. Your husband will get used to it and will even feel anxious to not have it! My husband won't travel or go off to stay with friends or relatives without his. He feels so much better now! Good luck to your husband!

Paula

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You guys are just soooo loving, and I am happy for you. Had my ex-husband gotten one, I would have been happy to stand on the hose!! I guess he's an ex- for a reason....(to keep me out of prison?)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3944066;
    You guys are just soooo loving, and I am happy for you. Had my ex-husband gotten one, I would have been happy to stand on the hose!! I guess he's an ex- for a reason....(to keep me out of prison?)

My mom was on oxygen for several years and my dad would get upset with her for something and tease her that he was going to stand on her oxygen hose.

When my daughter was learning to walk, she'd pull on Mother's oxygen hose and it would yank my mom's head back. Mom used to say that her nostrils were going to be huge because of all the yanking would pull the little part that goes up in the nose.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

I have sent out so many resumes and made so many applications and I don't even get the courtesy of a rejection notice.

I think I am overqualifed for the jobs I'm applying for, but I need a flex schedule because of school.

So have decided that from now on, what I'm sending out is this:

Jobs you have had: Billly Bob's scrap yard and boiled peanuts.
    The do it yourself dental store.
    Head sales girl at Mud flaps R Us

I am lazy, tardy, could give a flip about details. I hate people of all kinds, procrastinate and want to do nothing except pick up my paycheck at the end of the week. I will add nothing to your company but misery. I see the Petty Cash box as my own personal bank loan. I have no goals and no ambition. I drink on the job. I need this job because I have to make payments on my latest tattoo and because the bail bondsman wants the rest of his money as my ex missed his court date again.

I swear I'm going to do it. I absolutely swear. I am getting no where the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3944671;
    ...I swear I'm going to do it. I absolutely swear. I am getting no where the other way.

I'm pretty certain that if you add "I require 3-hour lunches and will assume that the apartment pool is my personal venue for loud, rowdy parties," you'd be hired on-the-spot as assistant manager at my apartment complex.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3944777;

I'm pretty certain that if you add "I require 3-hour lunches and will assume that the apartment pool is my personal venue for loud, rowdy parties," you'd be hired on-the-spot as assistant manager at my apartment complex.
    Alrighty then. I've always wanted to live in San Diego.

Hey, it'd be a resume that got read, how much you want to bet?
    It's all about standing out in the crowd, I'm sure this resume would stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix;3943334;
    I just read your post outloud to my hubby and we both laughed. I could have written it 20 years ago! I,too, had to go sleep in another room just to get any sleep at all. My husband had no clue how bad it was until I decided to video tape him one night. After watching himself gasping for breath and even not breathing for LONG stretches of time he agreed to go to a Houston sleep clinic. We knew nothing about sleep apnea, or that his condition even had a name. He got on a CPAP and I was just like you-- I kept feeling his chest to make sure he was alive! That first night was tough for me, but every night since (20 yrs) has been wonderfully quiet. Your husband will get used to it and will even feel anxious to not have it! My husband won't travel or go off to stay with friends or relatives without his. He feels so much better now! Good luck to your husband!

Paula
    It's been 3 nights now, and I've noticed even a significant improvement in his daytime wakefulness. Used to really annoy me that we'd be watching a movie "together" and when I'd turn to make a comment to him, he'd be sound asleep on the love seat. He's adjusting well to the device, and I've stopped waking up every couple of minutes to make sure he's still breathing.

Interesting coincidence, Paula. My name is Paula, too!

+ Reply to Thread