+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7177Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've eaten brains and eggs all my life, until recently. I can't describe the taste, but it's one that I really love. I buy canned brains and when you cook them, along with the eggs, the scrambling just mixes the two together and I have no problem with the texture at all. In fact, if I had my choice between brains and eggs, and tofu and egg, I'd take the b&e anytime.

I've never had brains, and I have the report cards to prove it!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Booze talk

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2119972;
    I've never had brains, and I have the report cards to prove it!

I originally posted this in the pet peeves thread but figured I'd move it over to here since it's not really a peeve anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2119576;
    Places (in Lois Lane's area) must have had a rash of instances where a stranger was paid off to buy liquor for teens. That's my guess.
    I live in Chicago so you're probably on target.

My original peeve wasn't whether parents take their kids into liquor stores, but that I had to show my ID card because I happened to be standing next to my husband while he was buying some beer. (And trust me, I'm at the age where I can't even pretend to look anywhere close to underage -- even in the dark!) Next time I'll just pretend I'm not with him and then I'll just leave the store empty handed! There's no rule that says I can't browse and leave the store without showing my ID!

This store, Binny's, is an upscale liquor store that has a lot more different wines than at the grocery stores (and pretty much all the grocery stores here have liquor depts. as well). And at one side of the store, they sell gourmet meats and foods that are super yummy! The wine/alcohol is priced fairly well at Binny's, but all their non-alcoholic beverages are SUPER expensive. I usually pay $3.99 or $4.99 for a 12-pack of La Croix sparkling water. At Binny's, it was $6.99 for the same thing!!!

muduh, I actually don't know if children accompanied by their parents can enter liquor stores here. I'll have to look at the signs the next time I go in. But I do know that at the grocery stores, you'll see parents with the kids (or babies in their strollers) head into the liquor dept., show their ID, and get the items they want with no problem. So I'm not sure how it all works here.

I don't think there's anything wrong with parents who choose not to go shopping for alcohol with their children in tow. But I also don't think it's that big a deal to bring the kids with you to the store to pick up a pack of beer for a party or a bottle of wine for dinner every once in a while. (Now if you're drinking it in the car or dragging them to bars with you, then that's a problem.) I think it's also OK to bring them to sex shops! JUST KIDDING on that last one--just teasing myrosiedog!

It's the parents job to teach children that there are kid things and adult things. I don't drink much at all (I love my Diet Coke too much!) but the husband will have a beer on occasion with dinner. I don't suspect that will stop when the baby's born. And I hope to be as good a parent as my mom and dad were when it comes to teaching the baby the importance of not abusing alcohol and to respect its power. Each parent has to decide what's best for their child.

OMG! They killed Kenny! FordChick73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2119987;

I think it's also OK to bring them to sex shops! JUST KIDDING on that last one--just teasing myrosiedog!
    Actually where I'm from originally (Norway), the kids are allowed to go into the sex shops and giggle and check out various fun stuff (like condoms with color/scents etc), however the "serious" stuff is in the back where you have to be 18 to wander. So I remember going into the sex shops when I was 10-11 with my friends and we made fun of it and giggled over everything, we even bought some scented condoms for fun and gave as prank gifts to our friends lol..... No harm done, it just took the stigma & mystery away from it all (Norway is very liberal when it comes to things like that... I also grew up with frequent all-nudity types of moves on regular public television My husband is still in awe over the movies he could watch on TV while we were there .......... )

Just a sidenote.... ehhe.... =)

(We couldn't browse the liquor stores however as there we have to go to a state run liquor store to buy the alcohol we want and they have everything locked up behind the counter and there is no getting away with buying underage....... )

In Indiana children are not allowed in a liquor store - period.
    If the kids are with me while I grocery shop and I want to pick up a bottle of wine, I don't think it's a big deal to buy it. They know I drink it, and it isn't delivered by the wine fairy. I think it's more a matter of teaching them moderation. One or two glasses and then stop. They know I never drive after having even one drink. I've told them too much alcohol will make them, at best, miserable and could even kill them, etc.... I just have to have faith that some of it is sinking in.

I have a good friend who loves blood sausage and duck's blood soup. I believe her heritage is Slovenian.

Myrosiedog - I just read your post about buying your parents cigarettes. It triggered a memory for me. When I was a child, my friend's mother would send her/us to the corner drugstore to get her vitamin prescription filled (we were probably 8 or 10 yrs. old). It wasn't until I went on birth control pills myself that I realized what we were really fetching for her.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 10-28-2006 at 02:24 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2120032;
    In Indiana children are not allowed in a liquor store - period.
    If the kids are with me while I grocery shop and I want to pick up a bottle of wine, I don't think it's a big deal to buy it. They know I drink it, and it isn't delivered by the wine fairy. I think it's more a matter of teaching them moderation. One or two glasses and then stop. They know I never drive after having even one drink. I've told them too much alcohol will make them, at best, miserable and could even kill them, etc.... I just have to have faith that some of it is sinking in.

I have a good friend who loves blood sausage and duck's blood soup. I believe her heritage is Slovenian.

Myrosiedog - I just read your post about buying your parents cigarettes. It triggered a memory for me. When I was a child, my friend's mother would send her/us to the corner drugstore to get her vitamin prescription filled (we were probably 8 or 10 yrs. old). It wasn't until I went on birth control pills myself that I realized what we were really fetching for her.

The wine fairy! I love it. If only it were so. And too funny about the vitamin Rx. A friend of my mom's 4 year old got into her BC pills and ate about half the package. They rushed her to the hospital and the dr. just laughed and said: well, keep them away from her in the future, but there's not a lot we can do about it at this point and it won't really hurt her.
    I have always remembered what my mom's friend told us later: "this kid is such a handful THAT'S why I need the BC pills and she ate half my prescription!!"

My daughter has been so indoctrinated about drugs and alcohol at school that she will comment on her dad having a beer or me having a glass of wine or a margarita. We've told her: everything in moderation. We aren't doing this every night and we don't get drunk. She has tasted what we drink and doesn't like it, so I hope that it continues (she's 15).

I remember going out to dinner with my parents and their friends or other family and eveyrone would order a drink and I'd get to have a "kiddie cocktail" or a "shirley temple" and I was so excited because apparantly my mother did not know how to make these at home so I only got them out. Now I realize that I was getting gingerale with cherry juice in it and a plastic sword (loved those things!) with a piece of orange and a cherry impaled on it.

I had this teacher that I HATED and she was married to a good friend of my parents (the first wife had died and then he married this witch that no one could stand), my Sr. year of highschool my mom did not work, so everyday when this teacher left the highschool, she'd head for my mom's and sit there and drink and drink and drink. EVERYDAY. Never brought any booze with her and would stay even after my dad got home from work and was expecting dinner. My mom finally got to the point that she was over it and she started going in to my dad's office everyday about 2 pm and working with him until after 5 so she wouldn't be home. Well this in a way backfired on her, because within a few months, my dad had her in there working full time. But at least it got rid of the boozy b*tch of a teacher mooching off my mom EVERY single afternoon.

Now here's a good one talking about how things used to be as far as beer and cigerettes.

When I was in highschool, the teachers could smoke in the teachers lounge and the office staff could smoke right there in the office. I can remember going to see the guidence counselor who had this HUGE ashtray on her desk and always had a cigerette going. And here's the real kicker. They had a place outside where STUDENTS could smoke. If you brought a note from home, you could go to the "smoking tree' and smoke. This was in public school! God, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth apparantly. Now it would be a suspension if you got caught smoking. ANd the staff and teachers? NO WAY.
    Last edited by MRD; 10-28-2006 at 03:19 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2120098;
    Now I realize that I was getting gingerale with cherry juice in it and a plastic sword (loved those things!) with a piece of orange and a cherry impaled on it.
    Hey, the orange, cherry and plastic sword are the best things in ANY drink!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Oh myrosiedog, I loved when we got to order Shirley Temples and yeah, the cherry and the plastic swords were THA BOMB with those drinks!!!!

I remember going in and buying cigarettes for my dad all the time at the convenience stores....I grew up around smoke all the time so I never thought it was unusual when someone smoked at the dinner table and he never went outside to smoke. It was his house and he could smoke whereever he wanted to! My dad eventually quit smoking tho and now its really strange to be around people who smoke!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I remember walking to the corner liquor store with my uncle, all in hopes for that Barq's Cream Soda in a bottle!!! They had some pretty good ice cream, and popsicles, too!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD
    WEll this has been an interesting subject. Now you can't take kids in the liquor store, but apparantly when a lot of us were kids, it was the norm AND we got a treat to boot!

Gosh if we didn't know better it would sound like we all had families that were just a bunch of smokers and drinkers and that now social services would all be coming to take us away from them.

WEll times were a lot different then and I guess none of us suffered permanent damage from being exposed to the liquor store or for buying cigs and medications for our parents.

Although that may account for the addiction I have to plastic swords and maraschino cherries!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread