+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6749Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

IF there was a baby there to begin with....I guess it might.

Now, I'm going to luxuriate in my hatred of spring. It's bad enough that it sets my allergies on "GO" for most of the year, but there is just something super-wrong with temps in the mid to upper 80s! That's not fair!!! Too much, waaaay too soon!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I heard an interesting fact about the census the other day. I think it was on a PBS station out of Detroit. Anywho, it said a returned census form cost the taxpayers 44 cents, and if they had to send someone to your door it was $60.

$60 or $0.44? I'm glad I mailed mine back. No one can accuse me of wasting taxpayers money, lol.

Sadly, the people that the census data would most benefit are those who do not fill it out
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3868797;
    I never got a census notice, nor the letter you get warning that you are about to get a census form and had better fill it out. So I guess I get a visit.
    Sheesh, I got a letter telling me that I was going to get the census, then I got the census (which I filled out and sent back within 3 days), THEN I got a card telling me that I had better fill out my census because it's the law!

I was annoyed by the waste of paper when I got the first letter telling me I would get the form. Then I was annoyed all over again by the card because it felt like I was being bullied after I had already returned my form!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3871248;
    Sheesh, I got a letter telling me that I was going to get the census, then I got the census (which I filled out and sent back within 3 days), THEN I got a card telling me that I had better fill out my census because it's the law!

I was annoyed by the waste of paper when I got the first letter telling me I would get the form. Then I was annoyed all over again by the card because it felt like I was being bullied after I had already returned my form!!

I share your annoyance. The first letter wasn't needed since there was so much publicity on the radio and TV. Our postcard came 2 days after the census form itself, and one day after we'd put the completed form in the mailbox. Surely the government can find a more intelligent way to waste our money!!!

I just barely got mine in on April 1! I just kept looking at it sitting on the table!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3871433;
    I share your annoyance. The first letter wasn't needed since there was so much publicity on the radio and TV. Our postcard came 2 days after the census form itself, and one day after we'd put the completed form in the mailbox. Surely the government can find a more intelligent way to waste our money!!!
    I think you are giving most Americans too much credit. Those of us on here are smart enough to know about the Census, what it does, why it's needed and that we are required to fill it out. I'd be willing to bet you that if you did a man on the street poll, most couldn't tell you what it is, what it's used for and that it's taken every 10 years.
    I think all that paper in the mail is a waste too, but I can bet that they do it because most Americans have NOT a clue and have to be prompted 3 times in order to fill it out.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3871971;
    I think you are giving most Americans too much credit. Those of us on here are smart enough to know about the Census, what it does, why it's needed and that we are required to fill it out. I'd be willing to bet you that if you did a man on the street poll, most couldn't tell you what it is, what it's used for and that it's taken every 10 years.
    I think all that paper in the mail is a waste too, but I can bet that they do it because most Americans have NOT a clue and have to be prompted 3 times in order to fill it out.

MRD -- you're right....I must have forgotten about the "average" American, who really is not too well informed about what goes on around him/her and probably does not want to know too much anyhow. I do find most everyone on this board to be smarter "than the average bear." We all write well and can express ourselves, probably read newspapers and books, and are aware of what goes on around us. Thanks for the reminder (and I really mean that!!).

I was shocked to learn that when you write a memo, that you should write on about an 8th grade level, not matter to whom you are writing....and keep the sentences SHORT. Sometimes, you really have to "dumb down".

+ Reply to Thread