+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Speaking of Buzzards, I know they have a purpose, but on our farm that is not a site you want to see... especially during "calf birthing" season, we have to keep a close eye out for them, to keep them from attacking the new born calves. They are especially hard on the first time heifers that are calving, not only does she have to clean herself and the calf up, but she has to fight them off too. I have seen the other cows come to her aid and form a ring around both her and the new calf until she gets cleaned up and the calf is nursing. They will eventually give up and fly off, but if they get really bad, we have to shoot at them to scare them away.

But inthegarden, remember, if the buzzards didn't come back later, you would have to smell the cow placentas...yuck!!!!! I don't know how many cows you have, but L's aunt has about 100 or so, and it's a good thing the vultures do clean up. Of course with that many cows, they don't get that close to the area until the herd moves a bit.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Well, I didn't want to get too graphic so I said " the cows cleanup", which meant the cows will eat their afterbirth, but there are those cows that aren't so tidy and the buzzards do help out.
    Unless, the dogs (yuck!) get to it before the buzzards.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 03-18-2010 at 04:16 PM.

FoRTer

Okay, I may have just learned a bit too much about "cow cleanup", but I have to say that the part about the other cows forming a protective ring around new momma and calf is very sweet. I didn't know they'd do that!

Oh--most of L's aunts just leave it laying...yuck. And having had to help with a whole bunch of horse deliveries, I'm glad horses don't do that for me to have to watch!
    It's bad enough with dogs and cats, when it's too small to see well.

Coltnlasma, in the case of musk oxen, they make a square shape with the horns facing the outside, and the babies inside the square, when predators attack. . i think that's cool too!

MRD

It's actually very good for the mamas to "clean that up". It's very high in iron and protien.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know, but it's still ugly! For the horses, we had to bury them--they don't eat it. Speaking of high in iron and protein, and ugliness, I got a bad surprise this morning. I was rearranging my freezer, and this stupid ziplock bag containing a heart and liver I've been saving for someone who "raw feeds" her cats came sailing out and about broke my toe when it hit

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3858705;
    I know, but it's still ugly! For the horses, we had to bury them--they don't eat it. Speaking of high in iron and protein, and ugliness, I got a bad surprise this morning. I was rearranging my freezer, and this stupid ziplock bag containing a heart and liver I've been saving for someone who "raw feeds" her cats came sailing out and about broke my toe when it hit

It's not often that I'll actually truely LOL when reading on the net but something about your baggie of raw almost nailing your toe gave me the giggles. Especially after reading about the cow cleanup issues. Ah the conversations around here!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I know-it's for the strong of stomach! But then again, how else will we learn?

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3858003;
    Okay, I may have just learned a bit too much about "cow cleanup", but I have to say that the part about the other cows forming a protective ring around new momma and calf is very sweet. I didn't know they'd do that!
    Yes, Cows are very protective of their young. I'll tell you more in the animal thread.

queenb, glad you didn't break your toe.
    I would have loved to hear that explained at the emergency room....

+ Reply to Thread