+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6190Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Their bites feel like a pinch, and they leave a red mark, like a pinch. And they seem to love white/light colors. I've seen them in the house throughout the entire year, when they should have been long dead from the cold temps.

So the stinky, biting ones are the Asian beetles? The minute you touch them, the lay down the stinky stuff that you can see AND smell. I remember when we had a hideous invasion of them where there were thousands in the air, looking like a cloud. I remember having to run to the car when I needed to go anywhere. They get the automatic severe death penalty when they dare to get caught in my house. They didn't seem to care about southern exposures.

DISGUSTING!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Don't mean to gross anyone out, but the Asian beetles don't actually bite. They urinate, which is where the sting and the red spots come from.

I read somewhere that what people think is a bite, may actually be little barbs on their legs that hook into your skin, and feel like a bite.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

All I'm sure of is that I did yell, "OUCH!!"...and then there came the red mark. A woman who is a gardening expert did send me an email about the nasty critters, but I have yet to open it. I really do need to get around to learning more.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

From my local University Extension Service on the Asian Lady Beetle:
    Multicolored Asian Lady Beetles

A couple of key points:
    Although multicolored Asian lady beetles can be a nuisance when they occur in large numbers, they do not infest wood, destroy fabrics, eat our food, or damage other property. These lady beetles cannot sting and they are not known to carry disease.

However, there are some problems with multicolored Asian lady beetles. First, some can bite hard enough to break human skin, causing minor, short-lived discomfort. These bites are incidental, as the beetles are presumably searching for moisture or food. Second, they can secrete a strong-smelling yellowish liquid from the joints of their legs, a process called reflex bleeding. This liquid can stain light colored surfaces. Third, exposure to dead lady beetles in buildings can cause allergic reactions in a small number of individuals.
    I really like their tip about using an old stocking inside the vacuum hose to capture and get rid of them. I will probably be making use of that one next fall (or this spring as they start "waking up")!!

I had wondered why I was seeing these things in different colors. I'm glad that the nasty bug did not break my skin, but it may have been trying. I'm also glad to read about the stinky, staining liquid. People had me questioning my sanity. Interesting that it comes from the joints of their legs.

Thanks, Closet! Very interesting info!

Happy π Day everyone!!! The google page has a nice graphic for it.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3854465;
    Happy π Day everyone!!! The google page has a nice graphic for it.
    Ooh -- just got back from a weekend getaway and totally forgot:
    Happy Pi Day!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I saw the Google graphic-- so cool! But, I majored in math, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3854752;
    I saw the Google graphic-- so cool! But, I majored in math, so...
    Math Minor here.....

And today is the Ides of March!!! Beware, at least if your name is Julius Caesar. And watch out for the return of the buzzards if you are near Hinckley, Ohio.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread