+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3848599;
    What's your peeve Rattus?
    Well, as I mentioned, it's pedestrians. I (as I'm sure everyone knows ) commute by bike and I am so tired of pedestrians just stepping off onto the road without looking. It has been particularly unnerving lately because Toronto had a run of at least one pedestrian killed per day for two weeks a few weeks ago. Most of these people appeared to be wearing iPods or talking on their cell phones. Which is another peeve of mine. Why are people so inclined to disconnect from the world around them? I will admit to reading on the streetcar the few days a year I need to take it, but at the same time I'm paying attention to what's going on around me. It's not only dangerous to be so unaware, but I also find it kind of sad that so many people find it necessary to ignore life as it's happening.

ETA: And another pedestrian/bike issue - I get seriously irked by people waiting for the streetcar standing right at the edge of the curb holding umbrellas. There have been a number of times that my eye would have been punctured by a spoke if I hadn't been wearing glasses. It's not like I am one of only twenty bike commuters in the city - there are reported to be 30,000 of us - we are not a rare and unusual sight.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Oh, I'll jump in on the other side of the pedestrian issue-- I'm scared of bikers, especially in winter when I invariably walk home from the gym in the dark. The delivery boys are TERRIFYING, especially since I live in a hilly part of Manhattan, they build up good speed and they seem to come out of nowhere, since, unlike my mother, I don't have eyes in the back of my head. Their penchant for cutting corners and trying to squeeze through tiny spaces doesn't help.

As for headphones on mass transit: it's self-defense. On the way to work, I absolutely want to tune out the crying/screaming/fighting children, the hip hop music from the evidently hearing-impaired teenager, and inane conversations between people who probably whisper louder than I scream. Then, on the way home in the afternoon, instead of getting a couple of the high schoolers, you get the entire group of friends in one train car, and suffice it to say that "well-spoken" is not the first adjective that comes to mind to describe them (nor is "soft-spoken")... and then there's the unsolicited entertainment: the subway equivalent of American Idol auditions, the people who are collecting money for "charity," the subway preacher trying to convert the train car. So unless I'm riding with a friend, I put the headphones in.

MRD

Had a great time in Florida. Saw LOTS of old friends. And had a GREAT time with my brother and SIL. She was like she used to be years and years ago.
    I was amazed. My 16 year old great-nephew is a twit, but other than that, I had fun. I managed to ignore him and the one snotty thing he said to me, I gave it right back to him and so he ignored me the rest of the time which is fine with me.

Thanks all.

ETA: I guess my great-nephew complained about me to his grandfather, my brother and I heard my brother (who is not real impressed with his grandson at the moment either) say: "Be glad it wasn't your great-grandmother (my mother), as she would have fileted you on the spot." I just about died laughing as my mother would NOT have put up with this kids crap at ALL.
    Last edited by MRD; 03-06-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3848454;
    I would just like to say that I really miss the Pet Peeve thread. I occasionally am peeved by something (today [well, most days] it's pedestrians), but I don't like coming into a general chat thread to bitch about something minor in the middle of a conversation about, say, how happy people are that they're going on vacation soon.
    Rattus - Pet Peeves was closed down in 2007 and Koffee Klatch became the catch all thread so we wouldn't risk going off topic with our discussions. PEEVE AWAY here folks. There is I see a Pet peeves thread in fun and games but the last post is August 2008.
    Last edited by just1paul; 03-06-2010 at 09:21 AM.

MRD

Peeve away Rattus. I would be peeved as well as I see it all the time too. I do agree with Missy though that sometimes having headphones in is the only way to cope. But I wouldn't do it while walking. Heck, I can barely walk as it is without falling down, so I couldn't walk and talk on a phone or walk and listen to music.

As I have NO self embarrassment gene, I will post a picture of my reunion. I am NOT the one in the orange shirt. And you can probably tell I was having some FUN.

It looks like you're having a great time MRD. Everyone needs to cut loose like that now and then, so what's to be embarrassed about? I act that way occasionally myself. (and embarrass the HELL out of my kids )
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

Too bad my child wasn't there so I could embarrass her.

mrd, you look like you modeled yourselves after this smilie.

Glad you had so much fun in Florida, it was well deserved after your last minute move.

Rattus, I wear my headphones when I go for walks, too. But I do keep the volume low enough that I can still hear cars, dogs, bikes, etc.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

....Footsteps coming up behind you....

I only occlude one ear.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

brunette trixie - that was perfect!!!!! MRD - I love the length and color of your hair in that photo. I simmered a small corned beef in my crockpot overnight and woke up hungry. I had a little for breakfast and now I'll add the veggies.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread