+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6518Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

there are manual wind up flashlights, radios, and also manual wind connectors that will charge up a cell phone in the case of no electricity.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3825680;
    For those of you who live in the Midwest, New England, or the mountains, please ignore the following rant.

I am so tired of snow this year! I'm tired of looking at it, shoveling it, and driving over it. We've had almost 30 inches of snow this past week and I'm actually running out of places to shovel it so my poor dogs can go out in the yard.

/rant over, I feel a little better.

I just read your post. I live between Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC.
    I join you in your rant!! We had 29 inches last weekend and another foot yesterday. We also had 23 inches sometime in December. Enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3825857;
    And don't forget to keep one corded phone, even if it is stashed in a closet. Cordless phones need electricity too.
    Yes. Yes. I have all corded phones anway.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3825907;
    there are manual wind up flashlights, radios, and also manual wind connectors that will charge up a cell phone in the case of no electricity.
    My experience has told me that there is a ridiculous amount of cranking for fairly small return. You should really practice up on that BEFORE you need any of those toys.

I've learned to keep an abundance of batteries in the house, too. They are lifesavers when things go to hell.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3826117;
    Yes. Yes. I have all corded phones anway.
    Rotary dial?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3826149;
    Rotary dial?

When we got hit with Hurricane Charley, most people didn't have a phone with a cord, so they couldn't make or receive phone calls do to no electricity. The cell towers were down too.
    So it makes sense to have a phone with a cord. Rotary dial optional.

If you get hit with a snowstorm, why plug the fridge into the generator? I would put the food in a cooler on the porch. We have a cooler on our porch that had lefter over drinks and beer from NYE. When we got that really cold snap last month, the drinks were very, very cold even tho there was no ice inside the cooler. I would use the generator for other things and put the food outside. Or put big bowls of ice and snow inside the fridge and use it as a giant cooler.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Laugh you may, but this is like the phone we have stashed in our garage for emergencies:

and it came in handy when we moved to test the phone lines. Nothing but pure phone line - if it doesn't work, the phone line isn't working.
    *ours isn't as clean though.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Another important point regarding old fashioned wired-in phones - if you ever need to give a credit card number, SIN or other information that needs to be kept secure, it is really not a good idea to use a cell or cordless phone. I've always known this, but it has really hit home now that Mr. Rattus occasionally hears our neighbour's phone conversations over his wireless headphones when he's listening to music (they have trouble in the bedroom, are breaking up, and selling the house they bought just last year - things they probably don't want their neighbours to know).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I always use my landline to conduct business. I tell people to "hold on; I've got to go to the other phone." My ex- wanted me to give him my SSN over his cell phone, and I refused. Some people just don't get it.

Just saw a spot on the news that talked about a man trying to report a house fire in which his children were trapped. He called on his cell, and they had to transfer him about 3 times before he was connected to the appropriate 911 center. He was calling from the exact city/district where the fire was but the cell tower he hit sent him to a city across the river, and a few other places. According to the man who is over the 911 center, this kind of thing happens several thousand times per year. The man's children were both rescued, both are hospitalized; one in critical condition, one in fair condition.

Can you imagine??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If you have a corded phone hang on to it. We had one for emergencies. Our phone line must have been hit by lightning because all of our dsl boxes were fried, as well as that phone. The power strip that guards against lightning must have worked for the computer and tv (satelite) because all of those things were fine. I replaced the power strip. All that to say when I went to replace the corded phone I had trouble finding one that worked without plugging it in. I did find one is a corded phone but still plugs in for the caller id, but it will also take batteries. I don't necessarily need the caller id on that phone and wasn't really looking for that option, but that's what I found. A simple basic corded phone was just not available (at least at Walmart which looking back is the only place I looked.) Anyhow, hopefully the battery option phone will work ok in an emergency.

+ Reply to Thread