+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5855Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3822692;
    I kept getting calls like those for my daughter's ex. I listened and it was "an attempt to collect a debt." It gave a number to call and I called it, talked to someone there and informed that person that the person they were looking for did not live, nor had he ever lived at my residence. They were very nice about it and the calls stopped.
    Thx Lil Bit, it is nice to hear this from someone with firsthand experience! Now I just hope I am home the next time the recording calls for Laverne...

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3822599;
    Wireless internet ties up your phone line?
    I'm confused by that too. My wireless Internet has no affect on my phone line...

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3821049;
    She tried slipping the car into neutral but she couldn't do it too easily. I think she said that unless she was actually looking at the shifter she could easily swing it into reverse (she has the gears in the console section, not on the steering wheel). .
    Oh, why do people not get familiar with their cars????Without looking, I know my (console mounted, Toyota) shifter has P nearest the dash, then R,N, D,D2. So to shift to N, you go up one position--and, if she were familiar with her car, she would know that she could shift to N without pushing the button, just the shift handle, using a gentle push--and that it won't go into any other gear without that button pushed. (and the button is a mechanical, not electrical or computer lock, so you would play hell breaking it!)
    I know it sounds as if I'm making light of the whole situation, but to me the "won't stop accelerating" problem is not nearly as dangerous as many other things that can happen just as suddenly, like a blown tire or car fire, and is more equivilant to, say, a broken drive belt, malfunctioning alternator, or overheating.

I wish I could get rid of my landline, but since switching cell companies it actually doesn't pick up woth a toot at my house...gahhh, after the year's contract is up, I'm going back to verizon!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3820931;
    Here's a question for everyone.

Would like to go ahead and change my regular landline service from the local phone company to my cable company. That way, I could take advantage of the reduced rate "bundling rates" that the cable company provides since I have TV / Internet already with them.
    My question - if I have to make an emergency phone call to 911 on a phone line that is carried by the cable company and Not my local phone company, can 911 still pinpoint my name / adddress that I am calling from?

TIA
    We had cable phone service and the issue I had with it is this. It runs off a box that has to have electricity. There is a one hour battery in case of power failure. After an hour, there is no battery, no electricty and the phone cannot work until power is restored. Granted power outages are rare, but, they do happen and in that event, we would be without a phone.
    We eventually got rid of our landline and just use cell phones.
    But that is a question I would ask the cable provider because we had no clue until the thing was installed and explained to us.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

"...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3824977;
    We had cable phone service and the issue I had with it is this. It runs off a box that has to have electricity. There is a one hour battery in case of power failure. After an hour, there is no battery, no electricty and the phone cannot work until power is restored. Granted power outages are rare, but, they do happen and in that event, we would be without a phone.
    We eventually got rid of our landline and just use cell phones.
    But that is a question I would ask the cable provider because we had no clue until the thing was installed and explained to us.
    Thanks, MRD.

That's something that nobody has mentioned before.
    Wouldn't that also happen, though, to everyone who had digital cable and internet as they also run through a box? I don't think it would be limited to the phone. Anyone know?

Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3825567;
    Thanks, MRD.

That's something that nobody has mentioned before.
    Wouldn't that also happen, though, to everyone who had digital cable and internet as they also run through a box? I don't think it would be limited to the phone. Anyone know?

Thanks
    Yes, that would happen too. Of course if the power is out, anything that requires power to run will not work (ie tv). I suppose if you have a battery powered laptop that has a card to hook up to a satalite for internet you wouldn't lose that, but you then have to have a power source to recharge the battery for your laptop. No electricity caused my daughter's friend to be without a phone for 3 weeks when we had an ice storm. It took them that long to get the electricity back in her neighborhood, and they had cable phone. No service, due to no electricity.

We did actually lose our phone lines too as everything was falling down (electrical lines, phone lines, etc.) but the phone lines were fixed much sooner than the electricity lines. Perhaps because most phone service was not nearly as affected as the electrical service. We used an inverter in our car to go places and charge up our cell phones at the same time. But with the electric out gas was not always available due to stations being closed because they also had no electricity. Of course we knew some people that got generators (which were selling for at least double the price) but those also require gas, and most run essentials like the frig, not the tv. The other thing to keep in mind is that while we were able to mostly use our cell phones, even that service was not always available as the weather definitely affected that, as well as the amount of people using their cell phones. As gabriel mentioned upthread it's not always best to have all your eggs in one basket.

eta: of course this was a worse case senario that actually happened. We only lost power for 5 days, but my BIL lost it for 3 weeks. We live in the city with gas powered hot water heater so we had hot water (boy was I glad we had never switched to that electric heater we talked about when we moved in). BIL lives outside the city and has a well, which the pump runs on electricty. No water. All that to say sometimes the worst case does happen.
    Last edited by justCoz; 02-11-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3822098;
    After we got wireless internet, we dumped our landline. All of us had cell phones anyway, and somebody was almost always on the internet so the landline was rendered useless. We certainly don't miss it! Most people I know don't have one anymore, unless they spend an extensive amount of time at home. For us, cell phones are the way to go.
    What happens in that event the cell phones may go dead because of battery or other failure? Landlines are much too dependable for me not to spend the 35.00 a month.

For those of you who live in the Midwest, New England, or the mountains, please ignore the following rant.

I am so tired of snow this year! I'm tired of looking at it, shoveling it, and driving over it. We've had almost 30 inches of snow this past week and I'm actually running out of places to shovel it so my poor dogs can go out in the yard.

/rant over, I feel a little better.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I totally agree with you, gabriel.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3825650;
    What happens in that event the cell phones may go dead because of battery or other failure? Landlines are much too dependable for me not to spend the 35.00 a month.
    And don't forget to keep one corded phone, even if it is stashed in a closet. Cordless phones need electricity too.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread