+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6758Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

One thing I will never do is get rid of my landline. I have cell service I have cable tv, I have internet and the only two that could be disrupted together are the TV and internet. I will not put all my eggs in one basket- good price or not. This way there is always something available.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3820987;
    One thing I will never do is get rid of my landline. I have cell service I have cable tv, I have internet and the only two that could be disrupted together are the TV and internet. I will not put all my eggs in one basket- good price or not. This way there is always something available.
    That's a good point that you bring up.
    I'm just wondering, though, if the high price tag for the landline is really worth that point.

Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3820985;
    NRH - I have phone service through my cable provider, and they route 911 calls just like the traditional phone companies (including phone# and address info the moment the call goes through). I guess I should say this is my understanding according to their literature and the installer's explanation - luckily I've not had to test it. I recall the installer made a big deal about the fact that the phone modem will not route correct location info to 911 if it is moved (like to another residence) without being reprogrammed for the new address, so that leads me to believe that their 911 service is true.

Along the topic of emergencies, one thing to consider is that since the cable phone service relies on a modem, you will lose service when you lose power. Most of us have cell phones for backup anyway (and I think you can pay extra to have a battery backup installed on the modem), but I thought it was worth mentioning if that might affect your decision-making process.

Colt,

Thanks very much.

We have our cable, internet and phone through TimeWarner. On their website there is a section that discusses 911 calls and says that they do know where you are. So check out your cable company's website, it should be listed there.

Back to the Toyota situation, I saw some woman on the news talking about her problem when she drove her Toyota. The gas pedal was not stuck, the floor mat had not slipped over the gas pedal. She had just driven over railroad tracks and then noticed that the car was accelerating. She was weaving in and out of traffic and the car was going up and up to over 55 mph (in a 30-mph zone). She tried slipping the car into neutral but she couldn't do it too easily. I think she said that unless she was actually looking at the shifter she could easily swing it into reverse (she has the gears in the console section, not on the steering wheel). She was too busy trying to dodge cars to take her eyes off the road. She finally put both feet on the brake pedal and got the car to come to a stop only when the BRAKES started on fire! That's how much effort it took to stop the car! After this the car was towed to the dealer and they couldn't believe the brakes went on fire, etc. She then looked up online and found other stories of similar situations. So she is suing Toyota now, claiming that they have known about this for several years.

After our ice storm experience last year I would even recommend that you have a car charger for you cell phone. Most people went without electricity for several days - some up to 10 days without. I have a landline, so my phone worked. My daughter had a car charger, so she charged her cell phone when she went out driving with friends.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3820731;
    But if you're in a middle lane of cars going 65 mph. and you throw your car in neutral and hit the brakes, you have a whole new set of problems.
    You don't hit the brakes that suddenly--you throw it in neutral, allowing it to slow down naturally while putting on your emergency flashers and, ifpossible, steering to the emergency lane. No need for a sudden stop.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3820987;
    After we got wireless internet, we dumped our landline. All of us had cell phones anyway, and somebody was almost always on the internet so the landline was rendered useless. We certainly don't miss it! Most people I know don't have one anymore, unless they spend an extensive amount of time at home. For us, cell phones are the way to go.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wireless internet ties up your phone line?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3820910;
    Yea, I realize that this is an excellent point. I figure it probably is a collection agency of some sort and I was thinking that if I "certify" that I am this person that they would bombard me with even more calls. However, maybe then they would call me in person and I could tell them that whoever they are looking for, she does not live at my house...
    I kept getting calls like those for my daughter's ex. I listened and it was "an attempt to collect a debt." It gave a number to call and I called it, talked to someone there and informed that person that the person they were looking for did not live, nor had he ever lived at my residence. They were very nice about it and the calls stopped.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

[QUOTE=MamaC;3821049;]We have our cable, internet and phone through TimeWarner. On their website there is a section that discusses 911 calls and says that they do know where you are. So check out your cable company's website, it should be listed there.

Thanks, MamaC.
    The carrier I have is Time Warner, too, so I'm glad to have this information.

+ Reply to Thread