+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6258Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I have a question for all of you this morning. I have received a call twice at my home now that is a recorded message that says something like "This is a message for Laverne P Cell. If you are not Laverne P Cell hang up now." and it repeats a couple of times. I am not Laverne P Cell (and I am guessing that this is the name it is saying), but this morning I thought I would listen a bit further to get a number I could call to tell them to stop calling, but then it says "By continuing to listen to this call you are certifying that you are Laverne P Cell". I am most certainly not going to "certify" that I am this person, but how the heck can I get them to stop calling my home without listening?? The caller ID simply says "Unknown".

Has anyone else ever gotten a call like this???

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3819474;
    One thing that I did notice was that of all the instructions they give you for what to do if your car begins accelerating out of control, one they did not mention was to shift it into neutral. Wonder why not? That would have been one of my first instincts, too.
    A DJ on a local radio station was taking traffic tips from callers, and he ended up chatting with a guy who was driving a Tundra. (A double threat, driving a Toyota AND talking on his cell phone. ) Anyway, the Tundra guy was pretty funny - he said if encountered the gas pedal problem he would just shift into neutral and brake...said, "Dude, the BRAKES still work." He pointed out that going into neutral disengages the engine so it can't accelerate while in that gear.
    OK, maybe I can laugh about it because I don't own a Toyota. My apologies to Toyota owners. My husband said it had to be a computer problem, like queenb mentioned, but regardless I agree people aren't going to just stop driving their Toyotas if it's their only vehicle. I feel a lot more threatened by morons flying past me doing 20-30 kilometres over the speed limit than I do by a Toyota driven in a sensible manner behind me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

But if you're in a middle lane of cars going 65 mph. and you throw your car in neutral and hit the brakes, you have a whole new set of problems.
    Count your blessings!

ClosetRTWatcher I went to the National Do Not Call Registry website and listed both house phone and cell phone numbers and this has eliminated the phone solicitation calls that we once received. On our office line, we still get some calls, but they are mostly local schools, police, etc. and I don't mind those. I agree, I would be afraid to stay on the line too. If they keep calling, I would call your phone company and see if they could help.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Let us all remember that they do say to "stand on the brake" and don't pump the brakes. I guess you'd just better hope that no one is following you too closely.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3820686;
    I have a question for all of you this morning. I have received a call twice at my home now that is a recorded message that says something like "This is a message for Laverne P Cell. If you are not Laverne P Cell hang up now." and it repeats a couple of times. I am not Laverne P Cell (and I am guessing that this is the name it is saying), but this morning I thought I would listen a bit further to get a number I could call to tell them to stop calling, but then it says "By continuing to listen to this call you are certifying that you are Laverne P Cell". I am most certainly not going to "certify" that I am this person, but how the heck can I get them to stop calling my home without listening?? The caller ID simply says "Unknown".

Has anyone else ever gotten a call like this???
    You are getting a call from a bill collector, for somebody else. I've been that victim before, too. And exactly what do you think that they can do to you if you do continue to listen?? Empty threats!

I've learned about blocking numbers that, repeatedly, dial my number, however I DO have a landline. I was told by my glorious cell provider that in order to block a number on my cell, that I'd be blocking ALL of my cell callers. No good. I will block a number on my landline by dialing *60, and following the instructions. It's best to block immediately after your number has been called, so that you don't have to worry about writing down the number. Since I blocked a pest, my home has been pretty quiet!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3820865;
    You are getting a call from a bill collector, for somebody else. I've been that victim before, too. And exactly what do you think that they can do to you if you do continue to listen?? Empty threats!
    Yea, I realize that this is an excellent point. I figure it probably is a collection agency of some sort and I was thinking that if I "certify" that I am this person that they would bombard me with even more calls. However, maybe then they would call me in person and I could tell them that whoever they are looking for, she does not live at my house...

Here's a question for everyone.

Would like to go ahead and change my regular landline service from the local phone company to my cable company. That way, I could take advantage of the reduced rate "bundling rates" that the cable company provides since I have TV / Internet already with them.
    My question - if I have to make an emergency phone call to 911 on a phone line that is carried by the cable company and Not my local phone company, can 911 still pinpoint my name / adddress that I am calling from?

TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You might call your local non-emergency number, I think ours is 311, or call your local phone company. I would think that if it is a landline, they could pinpoint your address.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3820943;
    You might call your local non-emergency number, I think ours is 311, or call your local phone company. I would think that if it is a landline, they could pinpoint your address.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I'm still with my local phone company and I'm not too sure if they will give me an honest answer. I know that the cable company won't. That's why I am checking here to see if I Can make the switch.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

NRH - I have phone service through my cable provider, and they route 911 calls just like the traditional phone companies (including phone# and address info the moment the call goes through). I guess I should say this is my understanding according to their literature and the installer's explanation - luckily I've not had to test it. I recall the installer made a big deal about the fact that the phone modem will not route correct location info to 911 if it is moved (like to another residence) without being reprogrammed for the new address, so that leads me to believe that their 911 service is true.

Along the topic of emergencies, one thing to consider is that since the cable phone service relies on a modem, you will lose service when you lose power. Most of us have cell phones for backup anyway (and I think you can pay extra to have a battery backup installed on the modem), but I thought it was worth mentioning if that might affect your decision-making process.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread