+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6190Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3810428;
    I think this might be the perfect upgrade for you Ellen. Do you have a 13-inch Macbook? The only thing you would lose -- if you use it -- is the Webcam. The iPad isn't going to have a Webcam. And you would gain the Kindle-like feature.
    Yes, I have the 13-inch MacBook White. It's fine if I'm staying in one place, such as the library for afternoon tutoring or at home for my Skype sessions (really the only thing I use the webcam for). But even that gets sort of heavy on my shoulder for my school-without-walls when I use it for Keynote presentations or looking up something on the Internet, show an iPhoto slideshow part of the time -- then walk anywhere from 2 1/2 - 4 miles (2 - 3 hours). I'm sure I'd be able to sync it with my MacBook.

It may be a waste of money for some, but for the purposes of MY business, it sounds like what I've been hoping for.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3810443;
    I have to say, I'm shocked that it isn't capable of multitasking. (Of course, I'm still surprised that the iPhone can't multitask, too).

I don't know, admittedly I prefer that my gadgets do one thing and do it well, but it's too big to replace a smartphone, too small, not enough memory, and the list goes on, to replace my primary laptop, I already have and like my netbook for travel (even on that thing, I use multiple applications at once), and I'm not sure what's in the middle that I can't do with one or both of those.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3810691;
    But the iPad isn't supposed to be like a laptop, it's a tablet. If I was wanting it for business purposes maybe it wouldn't be a good option, but what I have now is an ancient Dell desktop PC. Unk, I read the list, but it doesn't put me off. The stuff about Verizon doesn't affect me but I guess I'll have to wait until it's available in Canada to see if there will be provider issues here.
    What would you be using it for? Netbooks are good too.

I just heard that it can't multitask -- interesting how Steve Jobs didn't mention that in his press conference. The iPhone OS 4.0 is supposed to be able to multitask so maybe it's better to wait and get a 2nd generation iPad when they'll bring that in. It seems ridiculous that it can't even run an IM system and something else.

Ellen, I think this is of interest to you and I for the same reasons. If you were thinking about getting a Kindle and don't already have a mini-laptop or tablet, the iPad combines much of what you'd want from each and it's far easier to carry around an iPad then your existing larger laptop much less your existing larger laptop and a Kindle at the same time. If someone already has a Kindle or has no interest in reading books/newspapers/mags in that fashion or if you already have a mini-tablet with higher functioning capability then you might be compromising more than you'd be getting with the iPad.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3810599;
    Is is just me, or does that Apple reader look really large, say, compared to the Kindle?
    The original Kindle, which you can still get, has a 6 inch screen, I think, but several months ago they released a version with a 9.7 inch screen which is exactly the same size as the iPad will be. Do you have a Kindle, Shay? I know it's a hot FoRT topic but can't remember if you have one.

Where's Gutmutter? She's a Kindle guru. We need her to chime in on this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I love my Kindle - we know this. I'm not asking it to play music (although it can) or use it for internet (although it can). For me, it is a small, portable library with adjustable type size, easy instant dictionary function, has cool functions like bookmarking pages, keeps my place in as many books as I download, and is just the right size to throw in my purse. So I'm not trading it in any time soon for something larger, more expensive, and untested. I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask because other than my Kindle, I'm not a very high-tech person. My kids had to put phone numbers on my cell phone and I don't know how to access the voice mail. I also haven't done any research on the ipad, so I have to do that before I weigh in one way or the other. But I'm enjoying reading this discussion.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Alas, I have no Kindle. A lady in my doctor's waiting room pulled one out of her purse, and I'm sure the thing has water damage, now, from me drooling all over it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PETA wants to replace Punxsutawny Phil with an animatronic groundhog. For some reason this cracks me up entirely. What are they afraid of? That he will be emotionally scarred by seeing his shadow? That the stress of determining whether there will be 6 more weeks of winter being placed soley on his shoulders is inhumane? Do the people on their staff who think up these things get paid? Where do I apply?
    Count your blessings!

Maybe PETA has been infiltrated by a group trying to make them look ridiculous... and they keep pitching ideas to push the envelope and expose their ruse, but no one notices.

And poor Phil... for all we know, he may have grown to love that day in the limelight; being replaced by a machine could send him into a downward spiral!
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3812809;
    Maybe PETA has been infiltrated by a group trying to make them look ridiculous... and they keep pitching ideas to push the envelope and expose their ruse, but no one notices.

And poor Phil... for all we know, he may have grown to love that day in the limelight; being replaced by a machine could send him into a downward spiral!
    Or maybe they just ARE ridiculous.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread