+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7282Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3781348;
    Isn't everything digital since the FCC eliminated analog TV in June (or July? It was supposed to be February but was delayed.)? Regardless, I have TWC: "local basic + expanded cable." It doesn't require an additional box, and it doesn't have the premium channels nor what's in what they call "digital cable." I really haven't had any problems with them; whenever cable's been down for whatever reason, even a power outage, I give them a call, and they pro-rate my bill (give me a discount) for time lost from service. (Which is nice, since my high-speed Internet connection is from them as well.)
    No, it's not when it comes to the cable companies.
    You have Analog like I do - a box is not required. With Digital, a box is required.
    You are a very lucky lady as I know of no one who is actually happy with TW.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Ooh, ok, I definitely have digital cable as I have DVRs on both of my tvs.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3781352;
    I have digital cable-- I thought we all had to convert by a certain date?

When I moved into my building, I had to choose between Time Warner and RCN. RCN is a provider that seems to focus on cities, since it doesn't exist in suburban CT where my parents live, but does in NYC and I also know friends in Boston who had it. It was fine for the first few months, but then we started having these incredibly random (not weather-related) service outages which would last for up to 12 hours or more. Once it went down, it was always, always down for the night and it was always both cable and internet. I used to go through FORT withdrawal! Those became more and more frequent until I switched to Time Warner, which has been much more reliable.

Interestingly, I mentioned the Time Warner-FOX negotiations at home and my mom said that as of Jan 1, Cablevision ceased to air the Food Network in our area. On Sunday mornings, she likes to watch Giada De Laurentiis and Barefoot Contessa while she irons, so I hope for her sake it's back soon. But it's not just TW in negotiations, it seems.
    Actually, as I mentioned upthread, cable companies still have both analog and digital - that is different from the old TV's that had to switch. All cable companies, whether you had digital or analog, continued to braodcast after the switch.
    Yes, Cable companies - not just TW - continue to pull their shenanigans. They are like insurance companies - monopolistic behemoths who make huge amounts of money!!
    It is a shame that we, as consumers, always get the short end of the stick.
    Since TW took over in my area, the rates have increased by 10% and we have less channels!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3781269;
    Bug,

I have TW, too. And, I agree - they're the worst I've ever had - and I've had cable for many years and many different providers through the years. I heard on the news this morning, that they did come to terms - temporarily, at least - with FOX.
    May I ask if you have analog or digital? I still have analog, as I didn't want to have another cable box. But, it looks like soon they'll be all digital anyway. Is your service as bad with digital as mine is with analog? I ended up contacting my Councilman last year to get him to take action.

In the one room we have a box, the pixilation (sp?) is horrible at times. Every day there is always something with TW. The sound will go out, the picture will freeze, the On Demand always freezes up if you try to go through the screens to fast..... sort of like a computer when you continue to click the mouse! We found out last year that our landlord will not allow any more dishes to be put up on the roof. We are stuck with the cable but at least the customer service is better than DirecTv.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3781585;
    In the one room we have a box, the pixilation (sp?) is horrible at times. Every day there is always something with TW. The sound will go out, the picture will freeze, the On Demand always freezes up if you try to go through the screens to fast..... sort of like a computer when you continue to click the mouse! We found out last year that our landlord will not allow any more dishes to be put up on the roof. We are stuck with the cable but at least the customer service is better than DirecTv.

Thanks, Bug.

I was afraid of that. You have Digital - which is what TW keeps trying to get me to switch to. Sounds like it's just as bad as their Analog, which is what I have. My TV freezes and / or goes black screen all the time.
    I'm in a condo, so I know what you mean about all the dishes. They're an eyesore and a nuisance. Ours are not supposed to be on the roof so we have them perched ll over the building along with wires all over the place.
    I think we jst need competition in the cable market. The service would probably improve dramatically that way.

I wonder if your problem might be an old box that's not processing or transferring the information fast enough (like with old computers). If so, TW can switch it out. When we had problems with the Internet going wonky, it turned out to be an old cable modem; the problem was solved when TW replaced it with a new one.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We contacted TW about it and they sent out a tech a while ago. The tech said that our box was the same as the newer boxes so it would be useless to change them out. Unless we went to the HD/DVR boxes the regular basic boxes are the same. Oh well......... we'll figure it out with the whole cable situation. Oh and I used to have DirecTv and it was very nice to have all of the channels, etc. but they too keep raising their rates and had some issues with the dish constantly trying to pick up a signal. When you call DirecTv after hours, you always get someone who is at home with all of their kids, tv, etc who is basically reading off a script. They wouldn't give back money for a fight/PPV situation because of the signal getting lost, they said it was our dish on our roof and our fault. They always said they would contact the contracted DirecTv tech and that within a week they could send someone out. TW at least can reset your box from the office or diagnose the situation because they are actually trained no matter what time you call.
    Last edited by buglover; 01-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think that everybody reads off a script when you call with a problem, unless they transfer you to their tech division. They just pull the info up on their computer screen, depending on what you say. I'm guessing it's protection for them to handle everything the same way.

I've found that I can usually read right along with them from my users manual.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Oh my, I've been on this site since I was 20 yrs old.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3782688;
    Oh my, I've been on this site since I was 20 yrs old.
    Wow, June will be my 5 year FoRT anniversary. I cannot believe it has been that long! It seems like yesterday when I first popped on here to read ANTM recaps...

+ Reply to Thread