+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7212Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3766006;
    ...and I don't have to listen to people loudly discussing the minutiae of their lives on their cell phones with someone they're going to be seeing in half an hour anyway.
    I made the mistake of doing my grocery shopping at Walmart over the weekend. On this particular day there weren't crying kids in the store - instead the kids were screaming bloody murder. NO idea what was going on, since they (thankfully) were never in the same aisle as me.

On the other hand, I did get the pleasure of sharing an aisle with a 20-something young lady (and I use that term loosely) who was on her cell phone. The conversation was something like this: "I don't f---ing care! Why do you keep f---ing calling me!? etc..." Even when she got off her cell phone she continued this same line of conversation (aka, swearing up a blue streak) with her friends. Although my young children were not with me on this trip, there is always a young child nearby in this store. Why are people so self-absorbed and inconsiderate? Bah!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3768386;
    I made the mistake of doing my grocery shopping at Walmart over the weekend. On this particular day there weren't crying kids in the store - instead the kids were screaming bloody murder. NO idea what was going on, since they (thankfully) were never in the same aisle as me.

On the other hand, I did get the pleasure of sharing an aisle with a 20-something young lady (and I use that term loosely) who was on her cell phone. The conversation was something like this: "I don't f---ing care! Why do you keep f---ing calling me!? etc..." Even when she got off her cell phone she continued this same line of conversation (aka, swearing up a blue streak) with her friends. Although my young children were not with me on this trip, there is always a young child nearby in this store. Why are people so self-absorbed and inconsiderate? Bah!!
    This is why I do nearly all of my shopping on-line. The two exceptions are food at the farmer's market and the local butcher (lovely people there) and Ikea. When I need to pick up something at Ikea, I go to their web-site, determine whether they have what I'm looking for, and get the aisle/bin numbers from the site. We get there right as the store opens, head for the correct aisle, grab my stuff and leave. We went and bought a bed there on Saturday and were in and out of the store in under fifteen minutes. None of this mixing with the hoi polloi nonsense for me .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Sadly, my life seems to be filled with hoi polloi! It's not fun

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3768386;

I can have a filthy mouth, but I'm careful about it out in public, especially in areas where their are kids.
    I have said to people before: "so, do you kiss your mother with that nasty mouth?"
    Usually this elicites laughs and apologies. Not always. But since my child is now grown, I don't have the problems I used too. I just try to tune them out now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

I really need to vent. It's basically just a vent, feel free to give me advice, but all I want to do is get this off my chest.

I'm SICK of being criticized, having my husband criticized, having my child criticized and my overall life criticized by a person who is in no way, shape, form or fashion in a position to be critical. She is not married, has no children, has lead a "charmed" life so far, her dad supports her, so she doesn't work. And yet, I'm the one that needs to change. (and I'm sure that I do, we could all make improvements, but the stuff she criticizes is a) none of her business and b) not stuff I can change at the moment.)

I am not in the position to be able to tell this person off which is where my frustration comes from, but the day is fast approaching. But right now, my husband is doing some work for her. But when he's not and he has been paid in full, she's going to get an EAR FULL from me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My advice is to put the time between now and then to good use and practice what you're going to say when you tell her off. That way you won't forget anything.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

LOL I was just going to say to make a list so you don't forget anything, but Lil Bit's way is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3769941;
    I can have a filthy mouth, but I'm careful about it out in public, especially in areas where their are kids.
    I have said to people before: "so, do you kiss your mother with that nasty mouth?"
    Usually this elicites laughs and apologies. Not always. But since my child is now grown, I don't have the problems I used too. I just try to tune them out now.
    I said that to someone once and his snotty reply was "Where do you think I learned it?" My response: "Then, do you actually put FOOD in that mouth?" He didn't have a response to that one.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

MRD -- here are some thoughts from my own experience. Sit down at your computer, open up Word, and write this person a letter. Save it and walk away from it. Go back to it from time to time and edit it. As the time goes on your anger may dissipate until you don't need the contents of the letter.

Try not to get worked up over people like that. It does one's body and soul no good at all -- also from experience.

When you feel it is the right time to confront her, ask her to have coffee with you in a public place. Speak quietly so she will have nothing to escalate. Be polite but firm. Say what you have to say and stay in control of the situation. If she "starts something" she is the one who has lost her cool and looks like an idiot in public. Also personal experience. Hope this helps.....

Once his job is over, will you still have contact with her? I would urge you to write it all down like Columbia said, but never send it or say it. We never know what another person is dealing with even if it seems they have a charmed life. Maybe she's jealous of you. Maybe she's just a pruney person. Either way, a rant won't change her. Build a bridge. Invite her for that coffee, but tell her you envy her life of apparent ease. Maybe you'll learn something. You could even say how much you love your husband and child and life, but it's all a struggle to juggle sometimes (come on, you know it's true). My mom is going through a rough time and people are coming out of the wood work to support her. She told me that two women she had judged harshly expressed their support at different times and one even came up to her in the grocery store and hugged her. She said she wishes she had not been so judgemental of those women all these years. Girlfriend - do a Tonglen for the woman.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread