+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6257Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

myrosiedog: That is so wonderful what you are doing at your local church bringing and having supper with those who are less fortunate. You are a dear angel. And I'm impressed that your husband and daughter go as well. There are many people who just need a helping hand. I hope you are very successful in motivating other members to join with you some more successful suppers to come!

We have a food bank and several agencies that get together to serve a free Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner once a year. The numbers are over 1,000. It's the highlight for most of the homeless who attend. Some are just in tears.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    I found this at Careerbuilder. I totally agree with it.
    http://www.forbes.com/2006/08/15/cx_...r_0822bizbasic
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

My dad bought a fake tree two years ago, at 90% off. It has built in fiber optics with 4 choices of lighting designs. I miss the smell of real trees. And 2 christmases ago, we had to leave the bottom part of the tree undecorated, cus my dog ate a glass ornament right off the tree. My dog is so special...
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD you are right, most homeless are just like us.

I volunteer on the Board of Directors at a homeless shelter / soup kitchen in our town. I would say over half of the guests we have staying with us have jobs. Most are just down on their luck and just need a helping hand. Many struggle with addictions or mental illness but we have services to help with that too.

I wish you were closer to Indiana, we could really use your help. It's not easy to get people to volunteer or donate money to help the homeless. Good for you!

MRD
    Thanks Lois, Miss Kitty and Harmoj.

I found it to be a lot of fun and rewarding. And I'd do it again. I think even I had a prejudice against the homeless until I voluteered.
    Where I am originally from, we had a large mental hospital that was the biggest employer in my town. Several years ago our govenor decided that mental hospitals were money sucking institutions and he shut a lot of them down in our state to be replaced with "group homes" that never materialized.
    So where are these patients now? Most are homeless, too sick to work, too sick to seek treatment or to know where to go for treatment, etc. It's sad.
    But I guess I always thought they were people that were alcoholics or crazy or lazy and I sure had it slapped in my face and learned a big lesson. They are not all like what is portrayed on tv (is anything?).

You do NOT know ANY persons situation unless they tell you or you have seen it yourself. I have been finding this out a lot in the last few years and from my sales experience I have learned or should I say learning to not pre-judge people. Because you do NOT know their circumstances.

Harmoj, I wish you lived and worked down here as Indiana is toooooo cold for me.
    But I do think I will be volunteering more with this organization.

I strongly encourage everyone to volunteer somewhere. So many types of organizations need people that can give an hour or two even and its so worthwhile. If not homeless, then in schools, nursing homes, red cross, hospice, the list is endless, just get out there and volunteer. Help someone. You'll like it.
    And my husband works 6 days a week and he still spent 3 hours Sat. night doing this and he had a BLAST! So even if you do work, there are still areas where you can give an hour or two once a month. And it teaches your children not to be so selfish! I can attest to that.

We also volunteer with an organization that matches international college students with American families and we have a student from Ghana and we took her with us apple picking yesterday. She had never been in the mountains, never seen fall foilage or picked apples, she had a blast.
    I email her a few times a week, (she's busy doing graduate research work in a lab-has her own apt., etc) and we invite her to dinner a couple times a month or out to do something fun like yesterday. She has been in the US 6 years and not been able to go back home at all. Her parents have been able to visit one time since she's been in this country. So having a family to be with helps them so much. We've been out with her twice now and hope to have her over here soon for dinner and maybe a movie night or card night.
    Doesn't cost us anything and we get to meet someone new and learn about their culture and give them a family to be a part of.

I know I sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but I'm trying to let people know that you can be involved witout a lot of time or money or effort even. And there are lots of ways to be involved. I believe that being an American (or whatever country you are from, I happen to be an American) comes with social responsibility and not just individual isolation from helping out. And I'm thankful that I learned this from my own parents and I am hoping that my child is learning it from us.

And over the years, I've met some great people and made friends from volunteering so its a great way to meet people when you move to a new city like we just did.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    myrosiedog, it doesn't sound like you're tooting your own horn at all! I love that your family is spending time with the grad student from Ghana. How exciting to learn about her culture (and for her to share in yours.) And how awful it must be for her not to be able to see her own family -- her family must be so proud to have their daughter studying in the United States!). I'm sure she appreciates being able to share her life with you as much as you enjoy it. And I think you're setting the best example for your daughter by SHOWING her how to be a good, productive member of society rather than just throwing money at her and telling her what she should do. I also think it's wonderful that you're exposing her to different types of people--not all of whom grew up privileged.

Myrosiedog, you're my new hero

For those of you who want "real" Christmas trees but are allergic to pines, you might try fir trees (Fraser fir is especially nice) or Douglas firs (not really a fir, but pretty.)
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Premium Member
    I love Frasier Firs. They hold their needles really well and smell so good! They are a bit more expensive than other trees but so worth it. I actually break out from artificial trees, so I go for the real thing.

Today is my birthday...I was left off the birthday list.
    I'm such a baby!

Aww, Ana. It's not listed on your profile, so there is no way for it to come up automatically. Happy birthday, though!

+ Reply to Thread