+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6277Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. It seems like she could use an intelligent, stable adult in her life, and also seems like a match made by fate.
    It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to put it out there. And she has to be better than Dan!
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3740433;
    I went to get gas yesterday and my favorite all time student was pumping. She had the most incredible voice and a brilliant mind, but she was making bad choices about who she was running with and drugs, etc. Her father died from cancer cursing her (she shared stories with me because I was her advisor). She went to a charter art school and got kicked out of there. I lost track of her, but would occasionally see her at the high school musical events and she would always be happy to see me. I think I must have made some kind of impression on her. Anyway, now she is in college in international studies (I teach world languages and cultures, so I like to think maybe I DID influence her). Here's my question: I would like to encourage her. Maybe take her under my wing a little, if she wants. I don't want it to come off as weird or anything. She's maybe 21 or 22 now. Would it be untoward to invite her to lunch at a local establishment to hear more about her studies? She's looking for work and I could use someone to help me sort and organize as I unload all my STUFF. Would offering to pay her for work along those lines in my home be appropriate? She was eager to tell me what she's doing when I saw her yesterday, but there were other cars being serviced and we only had a few quick snatches of conversation. I ended with, "I always knew you'd go far!". I'd really like feedback.

When I was in high school I had a teacher like you take me under her wing. She 'hired' me as her personal assistant and I did all sorts of tasks from house cleaning and laundry to helping her organize her schedule and house sitting. It is one of the things I am most grateful for. She made a huge difference in my life and helped shape some of my goals.

I guess being a person on the other end of your story I would say that you should definately ask her. Everyone needs someone looking out for them, whether they realize it or not, and I'm sure she would be thankful to have you doing it for her.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I think you should make her the offer and go from there, if you know for sure that her life is on track.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Adding my agreement; sounds like fate has kept you two in contact. I had someone like that reach out to me as an older teen, and still recognize the positive effects of her influence to this day. I say invite her for that lunch and see were it leads.
    remember to play

Thanks everyone! That is what my gut is telling me. She may blow me off, but from the way she reacted to seeing me yesterday, I don't think she will. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. (oh, and ha ha ha schmoo2 )
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3740450;
    Thanks everyone! That is what my gut is telling me. She may blow me off, but from the way she reacted to seeing me yesterday, I don't think she will. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. (oh, and ha ha ha schmoo2 )
    Have you bought any good towels lately?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3740433;
    I went to get gas yesterday and my favorite all time student was pumping. She had the most incredible voice and a brilliant mind, but she was making bad choices about who she was running with and drugs, etc. Her father died from cancer cursing her (she shared stories with me because I was her advisor). She went to a charter art school and got kicked out of there. I lost track of her, but would occasionally see her at the high school musical events and she would always be happy to see me. I think I must have made some kind of impression on her. Anyway, now she is in college in international studies (I teach world languages and cultures, so I like to think maybe I DID influence her). Here's my question: I would like to encourage her. Maybe take her under my wing a little, if she wants. I don't want it to come off as weird or anything. She's maybe 21 or 22 now. Would it be untoward to invite her to lunch at a local establishment to hear more about her studies? She's looking for work and I could use someone to help me sort and organize as I unload all my STUFF. Would offering to pay her for work along those lines in my home be appropriate? She was eager to tell me what she's doing when I saw her yesterday, but there were other cars being serviced and we only had a few quick snatches of conversation. I ended with, "I always knew you'd go far!". I'd really like feedback.
    Gut by all means encourage her. Teachers do make a difference and you have the means to really make a difference in this girls life now. And it sounds like she could us a good positive role model.
    Invite her to lunch and ask her to help you. I bet she'll jump at the chance.
    And because you help her, I'm willing to bet she'll help someone else like her when she gets the chance. I say go for it.

ETA: if more people did stuff like this, this world would be a better place. It only starts with ONE person. Keep making a difference Gut. You touch so many lives, you are an inspiration to us and to your students.

I just watched the movie Milk and at the beginning he says: "I'm 40 years old and I've not accomplished anything I'm proud of". I think that all of us want to know that we've accomplished something in our lives we can be proud of and you are a fine living example of that. Keep it up.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-01-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks
    Count your blessings!

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

I agree with all. Give it a try, Gutmutter. A little encouragement can go a long way.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

I think it's an excellent idea, gut! Even if she doesn't take you up on the offer, it will have to make her feel good knowing that you thought she was "worth" the effort.

+ Reply to Thread