+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6457Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3735775;
    A brief word about allergies:
    While it's likely that oversanitizing may have a hand in allergies, it's not always the case. Allergies run in my family. Always have, even in the olden days before childproofing everything and sterilizing pacifiers if the kid drops it on the floor. My sister was allergic to peanuts, egg whites, and a host of other things and had asthma since babyhood (and we're talking 1950s, before all of the modern practices referred to); with me, a number of allergies (along with allergy-induced asthma) -- foods, dander, pollens, mold, dust mites -- manifested in adulthood after having mono. My allergist ran a number of tests, and my IgE was off the charts, indicating a genetic predisposition. Sometimes it's genetic and can't be pooh-pooh'ed and generalized as overcautious and overindulgent parenting. (Sometimes it is -- but in many cases it's not.)
    Allergies, food and otherwise, have always existed (I have the usual assortment that most people seem to have, plus an allergy to crustaceans), but the deadly food allergies that are so common these days in kids are a direct result of the over-ingestion of peanuts, soy and corn due to the increasing consumption of processed foods. And it likely has more to do with foods eaten by the parents, both pre-conception and during gestation than food consumed by the child, assuming that most parents are decent enough not to give processed crap to their infants. And don't even get me started on GMOs and hormones .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Christmas Vacation is one of my all time favorite movies. It's on CMT right now.

Christmas Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3738574;
    Christmas Vacation is one of my all time favorite movies. It's on CMT right now.

Christmas Vacation
    It's one of my favorites too, Unk.

Whenever anyone in the family has a headache, someone's always saying "Holy ----! Where's the Tylenol?" That movie is full of great lines.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've never seen it but all of my friends love it. Maybe I will have to rent it this weekend!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3738574;
    Christmas Vacation is one of my all time favorite movies.
    Ours too! There's a house in my neighborhood that, at Christmas, we nickname the "NRA Griswold House."

And the cat/xmas tree/carpet scene never fails to crack us up!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

People have called my SIL Clark Griswold because of her Christmas decorations. She never learned that there is a line you can pass between decorated and gaudy. Someone told me last year that there are only two things that can be seen from outer space... the great wall of China and my SIL's Christmas lights!!

I do love the movie. If you get a chance to, Calilily, watch it. You won't regret it. I love what happens to the snooty neighbors next door, when the huge shard of ice goes flying through their window.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Love Christmas Vacation. To me it's more of a classic than Christmas Story? Don't know if that is the right name but it has the boy who freezes his tongue on the pole and their dogs eat the turkey?

My mother used to buy her kitchen applicances at thrift stores and found some really great running oldies but goodies there.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My son has HAD to have is multiple viewings of Christmas Story every year since he was about 7 years old. I guess everybody has a movie that they just won't do without. Mine is The Wizard of Oz.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If I have to watch a Christmas movie, it will be either Christmas Vacation or Scrooged. I honestly don't get the appeal of Christmas Story and, though I will grant it is a very good film, I haven't been able to watch A Christmas Carol since I moved out on my own nearly thirty years ago. Being forced to particupate in a once a year spurious happy-happy-joy-joy situation with people I despised/feared has moved A Christmas Carol into the same category I keep brussel sprouts.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Mine is White Christmas. over and over.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

+ Reply to Thread