+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7290Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

In one of my classes, we were discussing the diet and habits of people during the Civil War and while there was a lot of disease, etc., we talked about the fact that what people ate back then would sicken and kill some of us today because our bodies have not gotten used to these germs that were prevalent then. The prof said that is often why travelers get sick outside this country and yet the people that live in their own country do not as they are used to those germs and we are not.

I take sanitation measures, but I dont' oversanitize because I believe we all need a little "dirt" to build up our immune systems.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I completely agree with you MRD. I traveled cross country over Mexico one summer and everywhere we went we carried backpacks full of water bottles because on tiny sip out of the tap would make you sick for days. It dosn't sound so bad but if you think of spending days in the jungle or in tiny motels with no more than a celing fan for cooling, the water would get luke warm or worse and we couldn't put ice in it because they used tap to make the ice.

Though I've never been to Europe I've heard that people drink their milk at room temp. If my milk has been sitting out so long that it is room temp I dump it down the drain.

Our grocery stores have put out sanitizer wipes to wipe down your shopping carts if you want to, I thought that was a very nice idea.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3735137;
    I completely agree with you MRD. I traveled cross country over Mexico one summer and everywhere we went we carried backpacks full of water bottles because on tiny sip out of the tap would make you sick for days. It dosn't sound so bad but if you think of spending days in the jungle or in tiny motels with no more than a celing fan for cooling, the water would get luke warm or worse and we couldn't put ice in it because they used tap to make the ice.

Though I've never been to Europe I've heard that people drink their milk at room temp. If my milk has been sitting out so long that it is room temp I dump it down the drain.

Our grocery stores have put out sanitizer wipes to wipe down your shopping carts if you want to, I thought that was a very nice idea.
    What's weird in Europe is that they serve milk for cold breakfast cereal hot, not toom temp. UGH, nasty.
    And they serve the cream for coffee hot. I don't know about drinking it as I'm not a huge milk drinker. And I did drink beverages with ice over there and didn't get sick. But we always ordered bottled water. One of the things I had to remember when I was in India was not to brush my teeth with the tap water. We used bottled water to do that and always ordered drinks without ice. And never ever ordered any vegetables raw as they were rinsed in the water.

But the body does get used to certain germs. What we talked about in CW class was that families would send fried chicken in the mail to the troops. And it would take up to a week to get there and they ate it without ill effects. If we did that today, we'd all be sick, sick, sick.

I know two families where the mom's are clean freaks. The house is cleaned with chlorox daily, they use antibacterial soap, wipes, etc.. And both families are the sickest 2 families that I know. The kids never get exposed to "normal" germs and so their bodies can't fight it off when they do get exposed to other germs
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3735134;
    .....................I take sanitation measures, but I dont' oversanitize because I believe we all need a little "dirt" to build up our immune systems.

This is especially true for children, who are not given the opportunity to build immunity because everything is over-sanitized. I don't remember my kids getting sick half as many times as my grandchildren's generation.

The motto when my kids were small was that each kid was supposed to eat a pound of dirt before turning 2 years old. Well, not literally, but you get the idea.

Since I have a husband with a compromised immune system (immunosuppressant drugs for kidney transplant), and neither of us gets sick pay from our jobs/clients, I'm continuing to Clorox-wipe my tutoring space in the library. The kids there seem to have plenty of germs from all their other sources, and I don't want any of them.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember, as a child, when somebody dropped something on the ground, the kid would always pick it up and say, "Well...you gotta eat dirt before you die!" This was always in response to the "ICK!" look that they would, inevitably, get from the rest of us who didn't partake in that particular practice.

I wasn't raised in an especially sterile environment, but I was seldom sick, either! No chicken pox until I was in my 30s. No mumps, so far.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3735149;
    I know two families where the mom's are clean freaks. The house is cleaned with chlorox daily, they use antibacterial soap, wipes, etc.. And both families are the sickest 2 families that I know. The kids never get exposed to "normal" germs and so their bodies can't fight it off when they do get exposed to other germs
    Yep. This sort of behaviour is reponsible for all sorts of the illness prevalent in society today, but there are other things responsible as well. Apart from the hysterical need to give kids antibiotics for any and all tiny physical malfunctions, all the processed foods that are so common today have done a lot to screw up their systems before they're even born. The corn, soy and peanuts (fibre and oil) that bulk out all these foods are primarily responsible for the huge number of food allergies abounding these days (does anyone over the age of, say, forty remember any of their classmates having a serious food allergy?). All the cleaning products (Tide, Clorox, Windex, et all) are largely responsible for the preponderance of asthma (not a single asthma sufferer in my school when I was a kid). The best and healthiest way to live is whole foods, a reasonable amount of house cleaning with non-toxic products, a reasonable amount of personal hygiene, and what I like to call "benign neglect" of your kids - meaning let them find their own way and play their own way, but don't let them behave like soccer hooligans in restaurants, malls, schools or the front yard. That is pretty much the way we middle-aged and older folk were raised, and I think we turned out okay.

Basically, "New and improved" doesn't actually mean it's improved - it just means more money for some purveyor somewhere.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3735152;
    Since I have a husband with a compromised immune system (immunosuppressant drugs for kidney transplant), and neither of us gets sick pay from our jobs/clients, I'm continuing to Clorox-wipe my tutoring space in the library. The kids there seem to have plenty of germs from all their other sources, and I don't want any of them.

Hi, Ellen. I am also a kidney patient, stage 3, blessedly still able to exist without extreme measures. In your case, I heartily agree with what you are doing. I wish your husband Godspeed on his journey, and the best of health to both of you.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3735210;
    Yep. This sort of behaviour is reponsible for all sorts of the illness prevalent in society today, but there are other things responsible as well. Apart from the hysterical need to give kids antibiotics for any and all tiny physical malfunctions, all the processed foods that are so common today have done a lot to screw up their systems before they're even born. The corn, soy and peanuts (fibre and oil) that bulk out all these foods are primarily responsible for the huge number of food allergies abounding these days (does anyone over the age of, say, forty remember any of their classmates having a serious food allergy?). All the cleaning products (Tide, Clorox, Windex, et all) are largely responsible for the preponderance of asthma (not a single asthma sufferer in my school when I was a kid). The best and healthiest way to live is whole foods, a reasonable amount of house cleaning with non-toxic products, a reasonable amount of personal hygiene, and what I like to call "benign neglect" of your kids - meaning let them find their own way and play their own way, but don't let them behave like soccer hooligans in restaurants, malls, schools or the front yard. That is pretty much the way we middle-aged and older folk were raised, and I think we turned out okay.

Basically, "New and improved" doesn't actually mean it's improved - it just means more money for some purveyor somewhere.

Thanks for a great post. You "hit the nail right on the head."

I guess this could go in the consumer reports thread, but since we're talking about it here: my son just started working for a store that sells Electrolux vacuums and Guardian air filters. Yes, they're expensive, but I have been having some pretty severe breathing issues lately so I got one to support him. I got home and had a little buyer's remorse panic attack, but I got over that and have been using it (the Guardian) in my home. I run it on full strength in the tv room when I first get home from school, then I move it to my bedroom and run it full blast there until I'm ready to go to bed and turn it down to low all night. I keep it off while I'm at work. I haven't had to use my inhaler since after the first full day of use. With the H1N1 at Emergency level, I would think it would be a good investment for any home or office, especially if you get a lot of guests/customers coming and going.
    Funny Electrolux story: When I went to his store, there were ($$$) vacuums on display and on one side of the room there was one on display from the '50s to show the company's been around for a while. I took one look at it and my eyes bugged out. My son asked me what was up, and I told him the '50s model is the exact same vacuum my mom (his grandmom) has and still uses! Ha! There's an endorsement for you.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread