+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

[QUOTE=myrosiedog;3734471;]Good for you.

Just had ny daughter tested yesterday for the H1n1 and she is negative. She's been sick for a couple days and felt so bad yesterday we took her to the ER.
    Then in the night, I woke up with her stomach bug.
    But she had fever, sore throat, coughing and upset stomach. They don't know what she has, but they know what it isn't.

Famita, hope your DIL is better soon.[/QUOTE

I hope you both feel better soon and that the Docs can find out what is making you sick.

My daughter at college has Strep throat. The infirmary and her friends are taking care of her. Her culinary prof told her she could skip a couple of labs since she has the highest grade in her class. I told her I had strep the first semester of my freshman year and my roommate was a chain smoker, in the room! They didn't ask your preference back then, and you could smoke anywhere you wanted. So Pollyanna here: look on the bright side! (count your blessings )
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Well let me tell you MY thoughts on college campuses: They are large petri dishes of germs. My daughter goes to a community college with 17,000 students. I go to a state university with 4500 students. They hack and cough and sneeze and touch EVERYTHING. It's worse than a room full of 5 year olds. The sickest I've been recently was last Jan. about 2 weeks into the semester. I now carry hand sanitizer and I wash my hands in the bathrooms there frequently. I try not to touch stair railings, etc., but I have to sit at the desks and then I don't care what anyone thinks, I hand sanitize.
    But one of my classes on Mon., there was someone sneezing the entire class.
    And one of the profs asked us a few weeks ago about why do we come to school sick. So of course I had to speak up and I said:
    It's because of the attendence policy. We're allowed to miss 2 classes and then you start docking our grades, so we come to school sick because we don't want to lose grade points. He just gave me a funny look and I know he had NEVER thought about that before. But it's true.

I slept all day and am feeling a lot better. My daughter is somewhat better, but not great. I'm sure it's just some virus, but at least we know it's nothing major.

Gut I hope your daughter feels better soon. I know it's hard to know she's sick and you can't be there to take care of her
    Last edited by MRD; 10-23-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Nowhere does disease travel faster than in a college dorm. And I think that sometimes when I went to class sick, part of the rationale was that if I could leave my room, I could go to class. I think I equated sick days with snow days-- we got neither because most of us lived on campus and could get to class no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3734627;
    . . . but I have to sit at the desks and then I don't care what anyone thinks, I hand sanitize. . .
    I do my afternoon tutoring at a public library, where I've seen people (kids and adults) put their used snotty tissues on the tables/desks instead of in the wastebasket or in some other disposal bag. So I carry not only hand sanitizer, but also Clorox wipes in my teacher bag: I leave a little earlier for lessons, and have added wiping down my table to my prep routine.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Lately I have been buying all of my fruits and veggies frozen. A few weeks ago when I was in the store I saw someone holding an apple while they sneezed (and didn't cover their mouth!) and then put that apple back in the pile. Even though I always wash everything before I eat it anyway, I just can't get that disgusting picture out of my head.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3734782;
    Lately I have been buying all of my fruits and veggies frozen. A few weeks ago when I was in the store I saw someone holding an apple while they sneezed (and didn't cover their mouth!) and then put that apple back in the pile. Even though I always wash everything before I eat it anyway, I just can't get that disgusting picture out of my head.
    Cali, your story reminds me of a buffet story, where a kid dropped one of those greasy, shiny dinner rolls on the floor (it had one of those fuzzy mats with rubber backing), and his mom picked it up and put it back in the tray.

The other day, a friend invited me to go to a breakfast buffet at a restaurant, and I said that this is probably the best time to avoid buffet places. They've always creeped me out, even though I very occasionally block those thoughts and go to them (a few times a year).

I've thought about cleansing the tops of beverage cans, but actually, I should probably have been doing that all along.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I do clean the tops of soda cans-- I can usually see little bits of stuff in the crevice and it grosses me out.

I will say, I know exactly who I got H1N1 from and to me, that's something of a relief.

I clean the tops of soda cans and all food cans before I open them. Something I learned to do when I was a cook at a hospital.

Feel better soon Missyboxers!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Hope everyone who is feeling sick, from whatever cause, feels better real soon.

Here in MD something is "going around" where you cough for a few days and then it develops into a real nasty cold. That's what I've got. I need a bucket for my runny nose!!!

As for washing the tops of cans, good idea. Sometimes we don't know how long they've sat on the shelves in the market. There's also fruit/veggie wash available. I clean oranges outside with soap and water, even though we don't eat the skin. Just an extra step.

As for the cleanliness habits of the American public, it is a subject which just grosses me out. Not only passing germs and viruses, but the general lack of consideration for others. And that's my "rant" for the afternoon.

Peace and love to all.

+ Reply to Thread