It is scientifically proven that whatever line I get in will be held up by
1. a price check
2. the use of a Wic check by someone who's never used one, so all wic items must then be pulled out, rescanned and rung up separately
3. A change in cashier for dinner/lunch/break
4. A cashier that has entered something incorrectly causing the cash register to lock and a manager with a key located to resolve the problem
5. A sale where you need 3 items and they have only 2, so someone is sent back to get item #3
6. A debit/credit card that is rejected
I have never had good line karma, so I just grab a mag off the rack next to me and wait it out.