+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5821Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3716281;
    those cats know where the heat is. And kids! Just so typical... I can tell my daughter to turn her lights off 10 times! before we leave the house and come home later and they are still on.
    Well let me tell you something about cats, heat and the late great Mona.

The apartment I was in when I adopted Mona (which would have been years ago, since I've lived here 12 years) was an old drafty place with a central boiler and no individual controls for apartments. (The guy I adopted her from lived in the same building) During the winter it was HOT (the radiator valves even leaked a bit when closed.) so the apartment was usually around 78-80 degrees.

FAST FORWARD to 1997 when I moved here: each apartment controls its' own heat, and it was always WARM in here. So in 2000 I decided to replace the heating valve on the baseboard heat (since the owner was cheap- not the current one)and I could finally now control my heat and set it for 68-70 degrees or lower.

I come home one day and it is HOTTER than hades. Thermostat (type with little slide lever at bottom) is set around 80-85 degrees. I don't remember turning it up, but it was a little cool so maybe I did during the night. Slide it back to 68.

During the night I wake up sweating - thermostat set for 90. I'm like what the....??? Back to 68.

This goes on for a few days - I am going crazy. So I was ready to buy a new thermostat thinking maybe for some reason it was sliding by itself (I know stupid but..) I come out of the kitchen and see MONA on the back of the couch (THIS IS A TRUE STORY) batting the slide across with her paw.

I locked the the thing down after that.

Damn I miss that girl.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Mona was one smart cat. We all miss her Gabriel.

I'm glad Rosie can't reach the thermostat or we'd all be roasting.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3716680;
    Mona was one smart cat. We all miss her Gabriel.

I'm glad Rosie can't reach the thermostat or we'd all be roasting.
    She was a smart one - i don't care what anyone says ,these creatures are NOT dumb animals.

Can't we put a step stool over there and show ROSIE how it works?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3716681;
    She was a smart one - i don't care what anyone says ,these creatures are NOT dumb animals.

Can't we put a step stool over there and show ROSIE how it works?
    IT's on the wall where the staircase is, she hates the stairs, so not even a step ladder would make her want access to it thank goodness. She's been in bed most of the day as I had the electric mattress pad on.

Animals are not dumb at all. VERY smart. I mean, look at how well they have all of us trained?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3716683;
    IT's on the wall where the staircase is, she hates the stairs, so not even a step ladder would make her want access to it thank goodness. She's been in bed most of the day as I had the electric mattress pad on.

Animals are not dumb at all. VERY smart. I mean, look at how well they have all of us trained?
    Trained? I'm trained? I get Joey his breakfast when I do, and brush him because I want to, when I want to.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Gosh, Gabriel, Mona was so like my Dexterhaven - RIP!
    He could always figure a way to get into hidden cake boxes, cereal, and the like. One Thanksgiving, he even got into the hot gravy pot on the stove. He managed not to get burned by it, but the rest of us sure were!
    I'm sure Mona and Dexter are giggling on the Rainbow Bridge right now!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3716688;
    Gosh, Gabriel, Mona was so like my Dexterhaven - RIP!
    He could always figure a way to get into hidden cake boxes, cereal, and the like. One Thanksgiving, he even got into the hot gravy pot on the stove. He managed not to get burned by it, but the rest of us sure were!
    I'm sure Mona and Dexter are giggling on the Rainbow Bridge right now!
    giggling? They are probably have kitty fits of laughter. How do you get into the gravy pot and not get burned? Only a cat.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3716689;
    giggling? They are probably have kitty fits of laughter. How do you get into the gravy pot and not get burned? Only a cat.
    He got into more "capers" than any cat I've ever seen. They are much smarter animals than they're ever credited.
    And, yes, they're regaling the Rainbow Bridge with all their hilarious stories as we write.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3716664;
    I stopped using mass-market chemical cleaners a couple of decades ago because it is just too disturbingly toxic. I don't know whether this is something you can find in your area, but I use Nature Clean Oven and Barbecue Cleaner (though I believe it now goes by the name Microwave and Oven Cleaner) and I cannot speak highly enough of it. It cleans just as well as Easy-off, but doesn't smell, doesn't burn holes in your skin and doesn't contaminate the environment (it is an amalgam of citrus and salts). I also use it for all my heavy-duty cleaning, and vinegar or hydrogen peroxide (good for odour removal) for light cleaning.
    I am sure we have it somewhere around here. I've seen a few cleaning products that are all natural and/or organic popping up in the stores but they are so expensive that I haven't tried any of them yet. I will have to look again when I go to the store next time and see if they have it, if they do I will be willing to try it!

Thanks everyone for your help! I did find a can of the fume free Easy off and I will try it tonight.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Oh that Mona, I can just see her little paw pushing the switch.

I'm going through a heat adjustment period. The apartment I lived in for the last five years, I couldn't control the heat. It was so warm in my bedroom that I could open both windows and still sleep in shorts and a tank top. Now that I've moved to my itsy bitsy carriage house I, of course, control my heat and pay for it too. I've been trying to go without turning it on for as long as possible but I caved in yesterday morning. It was only 62 degrees in my place. I know that's not really that cold, but I just hate when everything I touch feels cold. I turned it on while I was getting ready for work and then turned it off again when I left.

+ Reply to Thread