+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6749Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Doesn't Easy Off make a fume-free cleaner?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3716043;
    Doesn't Easy Off make a fume-free cleaner?
    Yeah I think you can smell it a little but it works good.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thanks, I'll have to check it out! The stuff I got smells like lemons; it just dosn't seem right.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I cleaned my oven a couple of weeks ago. I used a lye-based cleaner (WalMart's knock-off of Easy Off.) The one thing that I learned is that I will NEVER use it on a warm oven again. The directions called for preheating the oven to a modest 200°F, turning off the heat, and spraying the inside of the oven. When I did that, the spray vaporized as it hit the hot metal, and when the particulates precipitated as they cooled, the lye burned like heck on my bare skin, and the fumes choked me to where I could scarcely breathe. When I did a follow up spraying, I used the cold-oven technique. It worked just as well and didn't leave me coughing up pieces of lung.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I've used the cold oven technique also for the very same reasons you post.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

I swear by Easy off. I use it on the burner pans on top of the stove (I usually take them outside to spray them). But Easy off works well. Yes it's fumy, but if you are careful, it's ok to use.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My bedroom is on the ground floor and with the kids all gone now, my plan is to shut off the upstairs and just heat the downstairs this winter (there are separate thermostats). I've been putting off turning on the heat in spite of some cold nights. Well, this morning I went upstairs to get something and it was toasty warm! When my son was home 2 weeks ago, he turned the upstairs thermostat up to 70!!! I wondered why the cats kept going up there!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3716279;
    My bedroom is on the ground floor and with the kids all gone now, my plan is to shut off the upstairs and just heat the downstairs this winter (there are separate thermostats). I've been putting off turning on the heat in spite of some cold nights. Well, this morning I went upstairs to get something and it was toasty warm! When my son was home 2 weeks ago, he turned the upstairs thermostat up to 70!!! I wondered why the cats kept going up there!

those cats know where the heat is. And kids! Just so typical... I can tell my daughter to turn her lights off 10 times! before we leave the house and come home later and they are still on.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I never had a problem (mine's gas). Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3716039;
    Do any of you have an oven that you have to clean by hand? I've always had self cleaning ovens up until the one I currently have and every time I turn it on, even when there is nothing in it, there is this burning smell that is so strong that it actually sets off my fire alarm! I bought a can of oven cleaner but am a little worried about fumes and stuff. Can someone just assure me that it is okay to spray this inside of it?
    I stopped using mass-market chemical cleaners a couple of decades ago because it is just too disturbingly toxic. I don't know whether this is something you can find in your area, but I use Nature Clean Oven and Barbecue Cleaner (though I believe it now goes by the name Microwave and Oven Cleaner) and I cannot speak highly enough of it. It cleans just as well as Easy-off, but doesn't smell, doesn't burn holes in your skin and doesn't contaminate the environment (it is an amalgam of citrus and salts). I also use it for all my heavy-duty cleaning, and vinegar or hydrogen peroxide (good for odour removal) for light cleaning.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread