+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5650Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2105542;
    It is a gloomy, rainy day and if I didn't have lamps lit, it would be as dark as night in here. I am in my flannel PJ's, drinking hot drinks, watching old movies and generally being a lazy good for nothing. It's chilly and wet and I don't want to be outside or doing much of anything. I have nice warm doggies keeping me warm and the 3 of us are just going to take the phone off the hook and enjoy the sound of rain and the warm fuzzies from hot tea and beef stew later.
    See you later after I come out of my gloomy weather, rain stupor!
    To myrosiedog: I was in that state yesterday, with the rain and gloom. I wasn't depressed, just insular. Enjoy the rain, the doggies, the TV and the peace and quiet. You grab it when you can!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Christmas/Holiday cards

Hey All,

I have a question for you FORTers: Do you send cards to the same people every year, regardless of whether these people send you cards back? I have begun paring down my list. There are some people I will always send cards to (especially elderly family members who like to get family photos and updates on what everyone's doing--I don't expect them to trouble themselves with sending cards--the cost can be prohibitive for some of them AND it can be really tiring for the elderly; and there are business contacts I send cards to but that's more on a professional level than because I really want to). But I have a lot of friends who never send cards (or they'll send e-cards). I don't want to be bitchy (too late!!!), but I figure that if they don't send cards, receiving the cards probably doesn't mean that much to them either.

I know--sending cards shouldn't be tit for tat, but I figure why send them to people who obviously don't care?

ETA: This doesn't have to do with holiday cards, but I remember I used to send cards with notes on them to an exboyfriend a million years ago. For me, it was fun to do and I thought he enjoyed receiving them. Then I was at his house once and saw my card in the garbage can--two days after he had received it. I got the hint and stopped send them. I also dumped him shortly thereafter 'cause that little example was indicative of our relationship--me doing thoughtful "cute" things for him and him not caring at all.

Lois Lane, i pretty much do. I mail a few, and the rest of them i hand out at school. And i am happy too, cus I found the christmas cards i bought on sale last year. Curious George! I <3 monkeys

And this year, I am attempting to knit people scarfs for gifts, as I am a poor collage student with a buttload of yarn to use. And I am gonna make some to put in my grandma's church's holiday bazaar. So i can make monies. Cus monies is good.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Well, since we had a lil discussion about collections, I shall share mine. I have many collections. Yes, that's right. It's plural. I collect elephants, monkeys, dragons, and bobble heads. I have collected elephants first, as they are my favorite animal EVER. I dont even know when I started collecting them, but i think I blame Dumbo, as it is my most favorite movie EVER. And I love monkeys and dragons, also. And my mom got me started on bobbleheads. She bought me one, and kept on buying me some. There have onely been two bobble heads i've actually bought: an elephant one from the zoo here in Seattle (and cus it was an elephant), and the spotted elephant from Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer. And I inherited a salt and pepper shaker collection from my grandma when her and my grandpa moved.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

LL I send out many, many cards. Sadly, my list is getting shorter without me eliminating anyone. Time is taking care of that. I do NOT and will never, ever send those stupid newsletters though. I think I've mentioned before about a family member who sends that goofy letter every year and makes her dysfunctional family sound like the Brady Bunch. It's just a family joke and someone calls me every year to see if I've gotten "the letter" yet, and how stupid and pathetic the whole mess is.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2105831;
    LL I send out many, many cards. Sadly, my list is getting shorter without me eliminating anyone. Time is taking care of that. I do NOT and will never, ever send those stupid newsletters though.
    I hate those newsletters too. They're usually shoved in a card that has not been personalized in any manner--it doesn't address us and isn't signed by any of their family members. I'd rather not get a card than get one of those.

I really like the cards where friends/family send photos of their kids. It's fun to see how the kids change every year.

MRD
    I have pared down my list. I do the same as Lois, I send to elderly family members, but as the years have gone on, the people that have NEVER sent me a card, I've finally taken off my list. It gets expensive and if you never hear from them, then I say why bother.

I also handmake all my cards, so its easier on me with a shorter list.
    I used to send out about 60 cards, now its less than 30. These were too good friends AND family members too, but now, that's $11 and a lot of time and energy saved.

I hate the newsletters and one year sent out one that was absolutely hysterical about us winning the lottery and building 4 new homes and all the wild stuff we were doing. My daughter was taking violin at the time and I mentioned that we had Izack Perlman flying down once a week to give her lessons. I mean it was obvious that it was not true and at the bottom I wrote:

As if..................... You have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Do you know my husbands Idiot family (read in pet peeves about them and wanting to know how much they were getting less than 12 hours after their mother died) called us and actually thought we had won and wanted a loan?
    That still makes me laugh so hard to this day.

The next year I should have sent out one saying: That we had now lost our fortune after investing in Enron and WorldCom and that Arthur Anderson was our CPA's and now we were broke again. But I didn't. Would have been funny too.

I get a newsletter from this one daughter of a friend that makes me GAG! Every year. Her life is so perfect. Ugh!

I enclose a picture of my daughter and a couple handwritten lines in my HANDMADE card.

Claudia
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2105863;
    I enclose a picture of my daughter and a couple handwritten lines in my HANDMADE card.
    Oh gees! You go beyond!!! Handmade? I wish I had that kind of artistic skill. I pick mine up at the store when they're on sale!

I send nice, bought cards, but I usually get them at the after Christmas sales for the next year. I send 100 to 150 each year. We just like to do it. I can't delete anyone and I usually pick up a few new people every year.

MRD
    One of my hobbies is rubber stamping and card making. I enjoy it, it relaxes me and I can do it watching tv.

I've heard from many people over the years how much they treasure my cards and keep them.

That's another reason why I don't send to people that don't send to me. I go to way more trouble than most people and just a nice hello from them once a year in a CC would be nice.

I've spent today making fall themed cards for our church to send to shut ins.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread