+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

l4r - I have a hand-held device I got at CVS that has radiant heat and/or massage (3 options). It has been my life saver many times. Short of that, midol and heating pad until you see a doctor/chiropractor.
    MRD - I'm dying here! What is part 2?
    My 4-day weekend is going great. I find I can't sustain 2 days of heavy cleaning back-to-back because of my allergies, so Friday I read my Kindle all day (true day off), yesterday I tackled the barn, washed the dog, washed the car. Today is my social day - I'm going to Amherst for a Trader Joe's run and taking my son out for brunch, then I meet with my discussion group (6 women, monthly meeting). I started the day grading tests, so got that out of the way. Tomorrow I want to get as much done in the barn as I possibly can. I started out the weekend dreading the job, now I'm psyched about the possibility of finishing it.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 09-06-2009 at 09:26 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3692084;
    My back is much worse today. This after sleeping for 10 hours last night! At least yesterday morning I could pick something up off the floor..today no way. I will have someone get me some midol. If it's like this Tuesday when we go back to school there is no way I'll be able to get into my bus without screaming. I'm scared to death to be honest. Does workman's comp pay lost wages? I don't know anything about it. Should I contact my boss (even though they aren't open until Tuesday?) Sorry to be such a whiner and thanks for the advice all.

MRD-You'll be able to handle them just fine. And looking forward to hearing more..lol
    Have you tried to use ice on it? I don't want to disagree with everyone else, but my chiropractor always tells me to use ice packs. His point being, heat expands swelling while cold reduces it. If you have ever sprained an ankle, I'm quessing the doctor said to elevate and ice it? Kinda the same concept.

Another thing I use quite often are the IcyHot Medicated patches. They have one made for the back and/or to cover large areas. If you need to be up and about, they are wonderful. I wear them to work quite often, as they last up to 8 hours. Hopefully you find some relief soon.

MRD

I've always heard ice for 2 days following injury for swelling and then heat.

OK, so we have the future inlaws here for a BBQ. We have 2 little boys that cut our yard with a push mower. We have an acre of yard, so it's a lot of work. They are 12. But they and my husband agreed on $30 for cutting it and they do some trimming (not a lot, but some). Honestly, I am more than happy to pay these kids because you hardly ever see kids mowing lawns anymore for money and it teaches them a lot. So she was shocked and appalled that we'd pay them that much (personally I think they should charge more, but they shook hands on the deal with my husband earlier this summer and he suggested 30 as they said 20 at first and we do have a large yard). Hubby says: "last time I pushed mowed it, it took me 2 hours, so it's worth it to pay them, plus it teaches them, blah, blah, blah." Not that it was any of her business what we pay to have the lawn done. Doesn't take the kids that long to do it and they trade off and it saves my husband.

She and I are sitting on the front porch after the kids finish and leave and I look over the railing and say: "is that money laying on the ground?" Before the words get out of my mouth, she is out of her chair and down the stairs and grabs it. I swear I never saw her move that fast the rest of the weekend. It's 2 $10 bills. I say "I bet those kids dropped it". She says: "Well if they don't come back for it, we're each $10 richer" and proceeds to hand me one of the $10's and puts the other in her pocket. I was literally shocked speechless. So I asked her husband, mine and her son if they had dropped money out of their pockets. All check, all say no. I stew about this the rest of the night, but I'm trying not to cause a scene the first time out with them. She continued to criticize EVERYTHING. We went out to dinner on Fri. night and they never even offered to pay any of the bill. For 5 of us with a couple rounds of beers was about $130 + tip. Then we bought all the food for the BBQ. She went with me to the farmers market and offered to buy the corn on the cob which was 3 ears for a $1. We bought 9, she spent $3. I spent $25 AND then we spent close to another $60 at the grocery store. She had the nerve to complain about my husbands ribs. I have NEVER heard anyone complain about them before, usually he gets rave reviews, but it didn't stop her from eating them AND taking some back to the hotel in a baggie.

So we meet for breakfast this morning and I take her aside (I didn't want to say this in front of her son) and say: "those little boys came back this morning and wanted to know if they could come in the yard to look for something they lost. I asked them what it was and they said it was money, so I just gave them $20 out of my wallet". Fortunately, she got the hint and forked over the $10. I have put it aside and will give it to the kids next time I see them as I'm sure it's their money, it wasn't any of ours. But they hadn't come by and I thought this was the best way of handling it without causing a lot of problems.

BUT, she had some nerve taking money off my lawn and pocketing it. It wasn't hers. She knew damn well it belonged to someone else and more than likely it belonged to those boys. If I had been at her house and seen money, I would have just given it to her saying I found this in your yard. I would never have said: "I found money and we'll split it"

She criticized the place we went for breakfast which is probably one of the best breakfast places in town. Everyone else enjoyed hers. AGain, she ate it after complaining about it. I found it extremely difficult to even talk to her this morning and be civil. Fortunately, there was someone I knew in the restaurant and he came by the table and talked to me about a couple things we've got going on at work, and I didn't bother to introduce him around the table either. I was glad of the distraction.

I was so glad to see them leave. The dad is a sweetheart. I don't know how he puts up with it. So then my future son-in-law tells me after they've left that his mom has a gambling problem and it cost them their house when he was in HS. He apologized (he doesn't know about the found money) and I told him he did not have to apologize for his mother ever. It's not his fault and that we love him.

He did ask his dad last night to be his best man which was very, very moving. I don't know how I"m going to get through the wedding next year without killing her. She wanted to know all about the wedding details and I did mention a rehearsal dinner (which the groom's family is supposed to pay for) and she says that she's not sure if they will be here in time to GO to it. So I'm guessing we'll be paying for that too.

My husband is the only one not seething this morning. He enjoyed the dad and they got along really well and he was spared a lot of the crap me and my daughter got from her.
    But now that the first meeting is over, all bets are off. I am not putting up with her crap. I don't have too, I don't want too and next time she's at my house, I will speak up. But it's hard the first time and you want things to go well for the kids and not put them in the middle.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wow. I am just speechless after reading that MRD. I commend you for your civility to her, I know she would have been sitting out by the curb if it had been me. I feel for your daughter, she truely will have a 'monster-in-law'. I'm glad she didn't get to keep that money and that the boys will have what they earned.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Can you find the kids and give them the $$? Frankly they might be embarrassed to say they lost it. I know one time when I was a kid I lost $5.00 and told my father (the a**)and he just ranted and raved for it seemed an eternity about being careless etc., etc.. After that I would never have said anything.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

I know, I feel for my daughter too. And I feel for my future-son-in-law. HE's not close to her. He's very close to his dad, but he doesn't much like his mom either.
    I was proud of myself as I probably would have caused a horrible scene, but was trying to keep the peace for the first meeting. Now that it's over, I don't have too. But I was so shocked about the money, I didn't know what to say. And I seethed about it all night. I couldn't even go to sleep last night for seething over it which is when I came up with the plan to claim the boys came back for it. I figured the diplomatic approach was better this time around. BUT... not anymore. Fortunately I doubt I see them again until the wedding in Oct. 2010.

Gabriel, I see these boys frequently in the neighborhood, so I will give it to them next time I see them. I know it's theirs. It didn't belong to any of us and it was right where they were standing to tell my husband that they had finished and if he had anything else they could do. I figure they had their hands in their pockets and when they pulled them out, the money came out. They'll get it as soon as I see them again. But at least she doesn't have it. The witch. ARGH, I"m still upset.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3692063;
    . . .The mom . . . has criticized EVERYTHING. She had the nerve to criticize the food we served last night. . .
    . . . But this woman has shown to be critical AND dishonest and I aim to correct the dishonesty part this morning. . .
    Sounds like a clone of my late parents-in-law. They were also very manipulative, which never worked with me -- big reason for their not liking me was that I didn't play their game as others in the family did. Whenever I called them on their dishonesty, they would act all offended (because they got caught, I'm sure), and she would whine and dab her eyes for good measure. Yikes. Hopefully you won't have to hang out with her too often.
    Last edited by Ellen; 09-06-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Good job on keeping the peace, mrd. I hope your daughter and future son-in-law aren't planning to live anywhere near his family. I can only imagine the grief she would give the newlyweds.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3692157;
    ARGH, I"m still upset.
    OMMMMMM OMMMMMM ARF ARF OMMMMM ARF
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3692194;
    Good job on keeping the peace, mrd. I hope your daughter and future son-in-law aren't planning to live anywhere near his family. I can only imagine the grief she would give the newlyweds.
    This is excellent advice. Having a monster-in-law who sounds like she could be a clone of this woman and dealing with the crap I've dealt with over the years, I would strongly recommend that your daughter and her new husband try to live as far away from his mother as is humanly possible.

I'm glad the boys are getting their money back. I'm sure it's theirs and like Gabriel says, either they are ashamed to admit they lost it, or just have no idea where it may have dropped out of their pockets. $20 is a lot of money to me, I can imagine how much it means to them.

I'm sorry you didn't have a better experience with the new in-laws. Had your daughter's fiance mentioned anything about his mother to you in the past so you had a bit of a warning or was this a surprise? How did they get along with the dogs? that's another problem I have with my MIL. She has always hated any animal we've ever had. Other pets she'll treat ok, but my old dog Sam, and now Roxie get treated like they are the spawns of satan. We've never taken Roxie to her house, but Sammy used to poop on her bedroom floor every time he got in her house. He never pooped on the floor anywhere else and I always said that he could tell that she didn't like him so he was paying her back!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread