+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5916Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I don't think I know how to hot-link anything

Mudah: Those aren't your house shoes in my purse. It's Pinky, my pet flamingo! She's coming with me.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    I have a flamingo that I dress in seasonal outfits. Right now she has on her Halloween witches costume. My brother gave it to me (complete with costumes) as a joke, but the jokes on him, I LOVE IT!

I have flamingo shirts, pajamas, purses, jewelry, wine glasses, candle holders, plates, serving platters, bowls, stuffed flamingos, wax flamingos, flamingo ornaments, a flamingo birdhouse, flamingo lights, a flamingo shaped bullitin board, hand painted bamboo blinds that a friend did for me years ago.
    I have flamingo socks, pictures, calenders, a hat, shot glasses, statues, key chains, picture frames, wash cloths, towels, even a nail file, pens and a tattoo.
    My husband has put his foot down that no flamingos shall come in the bedroom. Most of this stuff resides in my craft/sewing/scrapbooking room and in the kitchen. He'd prefer it not to be in the kitchen either, but oh well.
    I once saw a flamingo bedroom set with matching curtains and he threatened divorce!
    Oh and I've had flamingos painted on my fingernails before.

It all started about 20 odd years ago with a pair of yard flamingos as a housewarming present and its has grown over the years. I have not bought but a few of the items myself. Most of this stuff has been gifts over the years from friends and family. Watch out, if you collect something, then that is ALL anyone gives you!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2104627;
    It all started about 20 odd years ago with a pair of yard flamingos as a housewarming present and its has grown over the years. I have not bought but a few of the items myself. Most of this stuff has been gifts over the years from friends and family. Watch out, if you collect something, then that is ALL anyone gives you!
    myrosiedog: I have a darling friend, Melissa, who is the Ladybug example of your Flamingos! Her internet name, her license plate, her decorations...there is NOTHING that isn't touched by ladybugs. She also has them tattooed on her.

But, her husband can't complain: The ENTIRE living room, and I DO mean e.n.t.i.r.e. living room/dining room is 100% Steve Gordon from NASCAR fame. The cushions, the slip covers, the lamps, the pillows, every spare inch of the walls, has Steve Gordon clocks, key chains, posters, cars....everywhere.

They're a match made in Collector's Heaven!

By the way, myrosiedog, what is it about flamingos that you love? Melissa says that lady bugs "just make me smile", and that answer is good enough for me. She must smile a lot with the flock that she's got.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

rosiedog, for some reason, my son in law just hates flamingos. I mean he really despises them. Unfortunately he mentioned that fact one day at work. He has several highschool and college guys working for him, so you just know that they make his life miserable. He got up one morning and his front yard was completely covered with them. I wonder how much money those guys spent on that joke. Another day he went to work and they had decorated the whole shop with them.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2104627;
    Watch out, if you collect something, then that is ALL anyone gives you!
    Even if you don't collect something and people assume you do!
    My darling MIL-whom-I-adore gave me a blown-glass tchotchke many years ago. Now, I am more of a primitive, folk-art type, and I hate collectibles that do nothing but collect dust, but being the new in-law, I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I displayed it for awhile. My dad saw it, assumed I liked it and started buying me cut-crystal items for Christmas. Not wanting to hurt his feelings, I would graciously thank him and put it away. (Since his death, I have only kept one thing as a memento) Then my MIL upped the ante and gave me an expensive Waterford piece.
    After checking with Miss Manners , I quietly returned the Waterford and got something I could really use - a big-ol' Kitchen Aid mixer .
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2104719;
    rosiedog, for some reason, my son in law just hates flamingos. I mean he really despises them. Unfortunately he mentioned that fact one day at work. He has several highschool and college guys working for him, so you just know that they make his life miserable. He got up one morning and his front yard was completely covered with them. I wonder how much money those guys spent on that joke. Another day he went to work and they had decorated the whole shop with them.

This reminds me of a fundraiser we once had at Head Start. The parent committee bought several pink flamingos in different sizes. They tied the large ones together with gaudy bows and such and chained them to the fence in people's yards with a note that someone would come to take them out of the yard for any donation. They used the smaller ones in planter trays with gaudy flowers and took them to people's offices. They had generated a list of community members (mayor, doctors, community leaders) that would be good sports and likely to donate. The recipient then got to name the next person to send the flamingos to. We advertised prior with flyers that said, "Watch out for the flamingos!" and such. It went on for a week. The parents had a blast running around town delivering and collecting flamingos and donations. Most everyone who got them were really good sports. We left them signs that said they'd been flamingoed and thanks from Head Start kids. Several people asked if they could make a large enough donation and keep the flamingos! It got some TV and newspaper coverage. We made a decent amount of money, if I recall.

Anyway, mind if I join the club? I found a really cute martini glass and shaker set with flamingos all around. I am sure a margarita would taste just as good in a martini glass. I prefer mine on the rocks rather than frozen so the shaker would come in handy.
    I don't know how to hotlink an image, or conversely how NOT to, so I'd rather not try and do something wrong. Will you just take my word for it?

cricketeen: My birthday is near Easter, so for a couple years in a row, my little godson picked out a little rabbit figurine to give me. Soon everyone thought I collected rabbits, so I would get them at every occasion! Talk about multiplying! That finally tapered off, except my godson who is now a dad himself will occasionally still give me a little rabbit.
    I tried to convince my family that I was starting a Diamond collection and they should feel free to help me out. That didn't go over at all.

cricketeen for some unknown reason, my next door neighbor assumed that I collect tea pots. All I can figure out is since I had ONE sitting on my shelf, she got the wrong idea. My ex father in law gave me a cute one on my eighteenth birthday and I've kept him (the pot, not the corpse) where I can see him all these years. I call him Pea Tot and he just had his fiftieth birthday. Well anyway, I now have a shelf full of unwantd tea pots. Since she is in my house often, I suppose I'm destined to wash those darn things for the rest of one of our lives.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Um, I collect money, if any of you FORTers would like to help me flesh out my collection. I accept personal checks and money orders as well as good old cash!

(Actually, I do collect foreign currency from my travels--but usually they're the equivalent of $1 U.S. or less.)

MRD
    Lois, that's a good thing to collect. Good luck with your collection.

I LOVE the Flamingo donation idea! What a great idea!

I got "flocked" on my 40th birthday. Woke up to 40 pink flamingos and a sign in my front yard. A service does it. I had a passing parade of cars come by the house that day to observe my flock. Since then we smiley faced a friend and as he left to go to work at 5 a.m. that morning (they come in the middle of the night), he caught a glimpse of something, it scared him and he threw his hands up, keys went flying in the bushes and when he discovered what it was, he thought it was funny, until he had to get a flashlight and get on his hands and knees to find his keys in the bushes.

Funny you should ask Lambi about the Flamingos as I was thinking about that.
    I think they represent to me something fun, outrageous and they make me smile. They are a beautiful bird in real life and they are pink. Growing up in Florida and having Florida change itself so drastically in my lifetime, they represent a time when things were simpler, when you could go barefoot and live like a Jimmy Buffett song. And they are kind of tacky and honestly I have this secret tacky side!

Muduh, I also have a small collection of teapots and teacups. It all started when I bought a pumpkin teapot at a yard sale (Hubby accidently threw it away years ago. Wish I still had it) and he started giving them to me. As I drank a lot of hot tea back then, it was kind of cute. But I have requested NO MORE TEAPOTS or CUPS. I dont' have room.
    I also have some antique pottery crocks. I have about 14 of those in various sizes and either got for free or little money, but are actually worth something.
    Hubby found most of them, but I love antiques too and have a couple nice pieces I've inherited that have been passed down for several generations in my family. Hubby teases me that the crocks make more sense for me to collect as I am fond of saying: "that's a crock of @#$@#" And antique silver trays and platters and bowls. Again I inherited these and have bought a couple myself. I, unlike the entire rest of the world, don't mind polishing silver. I almost get in a medatative state when I do it. And I use it. I use the trays to put candles on or serve food on and I use the bowls to float floating candles in. Now the laundry on the other hand I hate, but I'll sit and polish silve. Go figure.
    So the flamingos have to pretty much stay in my craft room as they kind of clash with the sort of country/antique look (not fussy, not Country Bear Jamboree at Disney, but kind of a homey mixture of family treasures and some folksy, country looks-think more Country Home magazine) that I have going on in the rest of the house.
    Hubby collects antique fishing lures (a lot were his dads) and reels. I allow some of it in the family room as it adds to the "look" of my country/antiquey house. But not all of it. We also have an old paddle and a fly rod that he wants to hang on the wall. I swear before long my house is going to look like TGI Fridays or Bennigens!
    And I've decided that since the family room here is paneled and kind of dark, if I lower the lighting, then I don't have to dust all this crap!

MRD
    It is a gloomy, rainy day and if I didn't have lamps lit, it would be as dark as night in here. I am in my flannel PJ's, drinking hot drinks, watching old movies and generally being a lazy good for nothing. It's chilly and wet and I don't want to be outside or doing much of anything. I have nice warm doggies keeping me warm and the 3 of us are just going to take the phone off the hook and enjoy the sound of rain and the warm fuzzies from hot tea and beef stew later.
    See you later after I come out of my gloomy weather, rain stupor!

+ Reply to Thread