+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7176Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Lil Bit, I see nothing wrong with a white lie to keep the peace.

Cali, that would drive me crazy. I have one SIL that does that. I'm being really good about my daughter. We don't often post to each other's comments.

So when you guys join, send me farkle chips ok?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Where's Newf? Haven't seen him posting in a while.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3690179;
    Where's Newf? Haven't seen him posting in a while.
    Maybe his ladyfriend is keeping him busy?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3690175;
    I did Facebook a lot more before my parents got on it not anything against having family on Facebook or anything but I have spent most of my life distancing myself from them for certain reasons.... now to have them 'cyber stalking' me makes it uncomfortable so I basically play Farmville and avoid posting anything that might earn me a phone call

"I see you went shopping, you should have put that money towards your student loans." "You went to Minnesota last weekend, you should have come to visit us if you didn't have anything going on." "Don't dye your hair, it will all fall out by the time you're 30."

Not to mention the fact that my dad thinks he needs to add all of my ex-boyfriends that he has met to his Facebook as well as anyone with our last name even if we have never actually met them before (we have a very unique last name)
    I have a great relationship with my daughter and at this time she does not plan to add me as a friend, nor will I request that she does. She has had her FB account since the old days when you needed to be part of a University to register so she is still not totally used to all the "old people" creating pages.

CaliLily, you make some great points about how parents could use the information against their children and make this site lose it's appeal to those who it was originally intended for. I hadn't even thought of saying some of those things, so your perspective is interesting to think about. But I am sure now it could go both ways.

My dad who is in his 80's embarrasses me too - he will take lots of digital pictures and not delete any of them. So the horrible expressions or just plain unattractive pictures that most people delete off their cameras get published and distributed for all our family to see.

I appreciate the privacy setting tips you all have shared here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3690256;
    I have a great relationship with my daughter and at this time she does not plan to add me as a friend, nor will I request that she does. She has had her FB account since the old days when you needed to be part of a University to register so she is still not totally used to all the "old people" creating pages.

CaliLily, you make some great points about how parents could use the information against their children and make this site lose it's appeal to those who it was originally intended for. I hadn't even thought of saying some of those things, so your perspective is interesting to think about. But I am sure now it could go both ways.

My dad who is in his 80's embarrasses me too - he will take lots of digital pictures and not delete any of them. So the horrible expressions or just plain unattractive pictures that most people delete off their cameras get published and distributed for all our family to see.

I appreciate the privacy setting tips you all have shared here.
    Haha, your dad sounds like mine! He recently tracked down 'family' of ours living in England (we are all Irish but our side immigrated to the U.S. and theirs went to England) and now they have just added me to their account.When I say 'related' I mean distantly like 19th cousins or something

My dad's specialty is taking nature pix from out on the farm and my stepmom is the one who tries to get embarressing ones of me sleeping with my mouth open or something. Luckily I have learned how to 'untag' myself from these photos.

You have to love family...
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Completely on the topic of computer related stuff , I was just curious about how other people feel about something. This morning I posted on Freecycle an electric bike for the taking for the first person available to come get it today. Five minutes after the post landed, I received an e-mail from a women who could come get it immediately. I then submitted a TAKEN notice. And all morning I've been receiving e-mails from people with various sob stories as to why I should offer them the bike. "Hello, I have blah, blah, blah, I would love the bike if it's still available". Now, I am not a sociopath - I have plenty of empathy for people with troubles, and am willing to help out. But something just really gets my goat about people laying out their troubles for display in order to receive some sort of largesse in return. Perhaps it reminds me too much of my mother's and my mother-in-law's highly developed martyr syndromes. I don't know. Anyway, how does everyone else feel about this?

As it turns out, the bike went to a lovely 62-year old woman with arthritis who would like to pedal around the neighbourhood with her husband, so it did go to someone with troubles. And anyway, who doesn't have troubles?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3690388;
    Completely on the topic of computer related stuff , I was just curious about how other people feel about something. This morning I posted on Freecycle an electric bike for the taking for the first person available to come get it today. Five minutes after the post landed, I received an e-mail from a women who could come get it immediately. I then submitted a TAKEN notice. And all morning I've been receiving e-mails from people with various sob stories as to why I should offer them the bike. "Hello, I have blah, blah, blah, I would love the bike if it's still available". Now, I am not a sociopath - I have plenty of empathy for people with troubles, and am willing to help out. But something just really gets my goat about people laying out their troubles for display in order to receive some sort of largesse in return. Perhaps it reminds me too much of my mother's and my mother-in-law's highly developed martyr syndromes. I don't know. Anyway, how does everyone else feel about this?
    As it turns out, the bike went to a lovely 62-year old woman with arthritis who would like to pedal around the neighbourhood with her husband, so it did go to someone with troubles. And anyway, who doesn't have troubles?
    I've always been an intensely private person and, as such, have a real problem with people who do this.
    However, in our tell all, Dr. Phil/Oprah/reality world, I seem to be in the minority.
    I liked the days of not airing your dirty laundry in public.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FoRTer

Rattus, I know what you mean. It sounds like you found a very good home for your bike. I think some people feel that sharing their "story" may gain them extra favor in the selection process, and I have mixed feelings about that, but clearly there's no need to spill personal details on a "first to pick it up" offer. Not sure what this says about me, but I do a freecycle search on the user names of those who send me requests - and weed out those that don't have a history of posting offerings (I live in a rural area, and I tell you there are so many more people who post wants instead of offers that I often loose my freecycle love).

I would think that "taken" would be the end of the story. Ignore the others.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3690125;
    I guess I have to be more careful in the future... or unfriend all my hubby's family and that would get me right back at the top of the "you know what" list again. I can't win for losing.
    It's more of a pain now than it used to be, but you can limit what your husband's family sees-- or just specific people. If you select Friends --> All Friends from the top, you will see a button called "Create New List." You could create a list of your in-laws, if that would be easier.

Then go to Settings --> Privacy Settings --> Profile, and if, for example, you wanted to turn off Statuses and Links for the in-laws, beside statuses and links, select Customize and a box will pop up asking who you want to see it. If you wanted all of your friends except your inlaws, you could select "Only Friends" and then at the bottom, where it says "Except These People," type in the person or list that you want to block.

It takes a bit of doing, but it might be worth it to keep the peace?

+ Reply to Thread