+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7195Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3689588;
    Whoa! I would NEVER add students to a facebook (or any other) friend list. Boundaries! I don't even have my real name in the phone book!
    I hear ya!! I don't want my family to be my friend either. too gossipy, especially my uncle. sheesh.
    No Co-workers either. I have work life and my life and ne'er the two shall meet.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Okay, after all this Facebook talk, I decided to get one. I keep getting invites in my email. Like Gut, I work at a school (public elementary), so like to keep a low private life profile. After looking at what some of my friends have posted, I plan to be very careful. But it looks like a cool place to post pictures and get in touch with people.

I got a message from a friend about 1 minute after I signed up for an account. I had no idea how to respond - needed my daughter nearby to guide me through. Both of my adult children have decided to not be friends with Mr. C and I for now - they feel that their space might be invaded or something. And we are pretty close in real life. This just may be too close for them.

This is an interesting social experiment. I will take part of my rare 4 day Labor Day weekend to maybe post some Maui pictures and connect up with my family in a new way.

One thing I have learned about FB is that everyone seems to use it differently. I do mix friends and co-workers, but only a select group of co-workers that I know I am pretty much on the same page with!! I did end up hiding my ALL CAPS friend. I just thought it would be nicer than un-friending her, and it did accomplish the goal of not having to see her updates!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3689588;
    Whoa! I would NEVER add students to a facebook (or any other) friend list. Boundaries! I don't even have my real name in the phone book!
    Good for you. I've known teachers that parents call at home to complain about stuff. And they add students to fb. I would never do that.

I have a few professors that gave out either home numbers or cell numbers and said: YOu can call me, but I don't take calls at midnight. WHOA!!, I'd never call a teacher. They all have emails and if I have a problem I email. Most check their email regularly. But I dont' think I'd give out my phone number to a student of any age.

I orignally signed up for facebook as the museum got a page and they wanted us all to support it. I have since unfriended ALL my co-workers. They never posted anyway and I didn't need my private life displayed for work. I do have some family, but not much and I did take a couple of them off. Mostly is just friends. I did have one person I haven't seen since HS friend me and then tell me that the content of my page was unchristian and she could no longer be friends with me. Huh, I did post a few political posts and I guess because I had also posted something about being for Gay Rights, she couldn't be friends with me. WEll buh-bye, don't let the facebook screen door hit you in the butt on your way out. But I hadn't posted that I was out howling out the full moon and practicing animal sacrifices or anything, so I don't know how it was so unchristian. But oh well. So be careful, you do get a few people that do stuff like that. I don't take it personally, especially if it's someone I haven't seen in 30 years.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-04-2009 at 07:05 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm thinking in terms of re-connecting with old friends from my home town in case the move to my mom's actually happens. (THERE's a topic that could sustain its own thread - on her visit last she asked which ONE of my 3 pets I would be bringing!) I'm not thinking of including anyone I know in my town here. Contrary to any impression you might have of me here, I'm a severly private person. I envy Emily Dickenson.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How do people know that you are on FaceBook? How does someone pop up to befriend you when you've just joined?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

One way is using their search function. If you have a common name you might have to wade through tons of results.

Another way is FB will "suggest" friends for you once you get going. For example, once I started friending old chums from school then FB suggests others from the same schools etc.

and MRD-I KNOW you're my buddy. I was talking about others here who are not currently my FB pals.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

That's funny myrosiedog, being called unchristian, because I think you are one of the most christian people I know. But then, my idea of a christian is that they are loving, kind and tolerant (except to people who use all CAPS!), and I know that isn't everyone's idea of christianity. Oh well. I'll add my offer to MRD's though, and if anyone wants to friend me on Facebook, just send me a PM.

I did make a bit of a boo-boo on FB this morning though. Posted that I had free time ahead, no school or work until Tuesday. Then a few minutes later remembered that my mother in law planned a picnic on Sunday that we are invited to. Yeah, after the horror movie she made us live last summer, NOW she wants everything to be all back to normal. Acts like all the crazy things she did and horrible things she said to me just didn't happen. My husband wants nothing to do with her, won't even talk to her on the phone when she calls, and me, ever the peacemaker gets stuck in the middle. So I told her that I have to work Sat and Sun night and that we couldn't make her picnic. A tiny little lie to keep peace and harmony in my life isn't such a bad thing, right? Except when I forget that I lied and get caught at it. I think I deleted the post before anyone in the family saw it. I guess I have to be more careful in the future... or unfriend all my hubby's family and that would get me right back at the top of the "you know what" list again. I can't win for losing.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3690100;
    How do people know that you are on FaceBook? How does someone pop up to befriend you when you've just joined?
    You can also look people up by the school you attended, so it's easy to find old friends that way. When I first started up it accessed my Yahoo address book and immediately found a bunch of people I knew. Then beyond that it looks at the friends of your friends and suggests people that way - so it might suggest Joe Schmo because 5 of your friends happen to be friends with him. Its suggestions can be a little uncanny at times...

ETA - I'm feelin the love today also, so if anyone would like to be FB friends with me (that is not already) send me a PM also! ...especially if you want to join my Mafia (j/k)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3690125;
    I did make a bit of a boo-boo on FB this morning though. Posted that I had free time ahead, no school or work until Tuesday. Then a few minutes later remembered that my mother in law planned a picnic on Sunday that we are invited to.
    I see nothing wrong with a little white lie to keep the peace. Just don't let it become a tangled web... Your right tho, posting the evidence of your white lie on FB is definitely an Oops! At least you realized and were able to take it back!!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 09-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.

I did Facebook a lot more before my parents got on it not anything against having family on Facebook or anything but I have spent most of my life distancing myself from them for certain reasons.... now to have them 'cyber stalking' me makes it uncomfortable so I basically play Farmville and avoid posting anything that might earn me a phone call

"I see you went shopping, you should have put that money towards your student loans." "You went to Minnesota last weekend, you should have come to visit us if you didn't have anything going on." "Don't dye your hair, it will all fall out by the time you're 30."

Not to mention the fact that my dad thinks he needs to add all of my ex-boyfriends that he has met to his Facebook as well as anyone with our last name even if we have never actually met them before (we have a very unique last name)
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread