+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7187Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Watching reruns of Leave It To Beaver made me aware of how much Ward Cleaver yelled on those shows. It also made me aware of what fantastically beautiful hair Wally (Tony Dow) had. I still enjoy the show, too. And Larry Mondello always seemed to be eating an apple in his scenes!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I am going to let things happen naturally, if she calls me I will answer and go from there; if she just ends up leaving town and moving back to her home state (which we are thinking may happen since all of her friends are pissed about this) then I will forget her existance and move on.

The puppy is undergoing 'therapy' several times a week. The dog 'therapist' is going over to her home to do it so that she dosn't have to try and coax her out of the house. I am stopping over tonight to visit and bring her a bag of treats and goodies to hopefully cheer her up.

You all are so wonderful on here. It really helps to get perspective on situations like this. Thank you
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Cali, Do not blame yourself for not being available to babysit your friend's cat. You are not responsible for your other friend's actions. She, obviously, has some issues. For the time being, I would continue to ignore her. At some point, when you are ready, you may be able to discuss your feelings with this person. Perhaps, she will then learn from this awful situation.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3639090;
    Your friend needs to get on a credible Mastiff website NOW and talk to a breeder as well as a vet. You can only walk the puppies as far as you can carry them. THEY LIE DOWN when they are tired. Anyone looking after this pup should have known this. They can weigh 70 plus pounds. They are not a breed for a first time dog owner. They are a sweet breed yes, but it will take a long time to undo that damage. Mistreating a Mastiff makes them timid and mean. PM me if you want. I have a Mastiff and this just makes me sick to my stomach. I feel sorry for your friend but more sorry for the dog. Your friend needs to get herself up to speed on this breed NOW. They are wonderful dogs, but not for everyone. They require a lot of work when pups to turn them into the gentle giants they become when full grown. Your friend should re-think ownership of this breed and I hope I never run across this excuse for a human being that would do this to a defenseless animal. I hope the full impact of the law is brought to bear.
    Cali I am quoting canuckinchile's post. Your friend who owns this puppy needs to learn about the breed. If she had gone to the website I recommended to you a few weeks back this could've been prevented. Or even taken the time to learn about her pup.. the whole situation makes me sick. Don't beat yourself up about it. Just please encourage your friend to take the time to learn about mastiff's or she will end up with a 150 plus mess of a dog on her hands.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3639645;
    You should not feel guilty about this. Even if you had seen glimpses of this person's temper in the past, this situation is unfathomable. I also would not hesitate to end your friendship with the abuser. I just cannot imagine being around someone that I knew to be capable of that level of cruelty!!
    !

I think I'd take the abuser's call and tell her "I know how bad you must feel" and arrange to meet somewhere for coffee-and tell the police where they can pick her up. If you have to, invite her to your house, if you can get the police to agree to come over at about the same time! Beyond that, I hope the puppy's owner sues that bitch for every nickel she has to spend on the vet and for rehab for the puppy.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Well I can't see blaming the owner of the pup either. The blame lies on the idiot who has no idea how to treat animals humanely. The owner sounds like she's doing all she can for the dog and trying to lay the blame on her is pointless and just serves no purpose except to make the principals feel even more guilty.

The bad thing about this idiot moving away is that potentially someone else may trust her now knowing how she really is.

Please let us know Cali when the police finally catch up with her and what happens.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I agree. The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the abuser. I think what livin4 and I are trying to point out is that owning a giant breed puppy is not like owning a regular puppy. The fact that the dog got tired and laid down is not unusual and it is the owner's responsibility to know this and make sure anyone looking after it knows this. You can't just scoop them up and walk home as most are 40 plus pounds at 4 months. I don't know the owner. Maybe she has grown up around Mastiffs, knows all this, told the friend etc. I just have to say that when I read she received one as a housewarming gift, warning bells went off in my head at that time. I wouldn't give a giant breed dog (or any dog) as a gift to anyone who wasn't prepared for the cost, training, etc. These dogs also cannot be left alone for long periods of time unless you want a lot of destruction.

Of course it is not the poor owner's fault and I hope she and the dog recover well and the abuser has to pay for her crime. I guess as an avid Mastiff lover I have heard too many of these stories where people find the puppy cute but difficult to deal with in their at least 3 years of puppyhood. I'm sorry if my post seemed harsh, and I wish all the best to the poor pup and her owner. I also hope she educates herself about the breed, or as livin4 said, she will have a 150 pound plus mess on her hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3639646;
    One of our standard cable stations recently switched to Retro TV - old shows from my youth. For an hour at noon, they show two episodes of Leave It To Beaver - one of my favorites as a kid. I can't stop watching it! Sure is funny to see it from a new perspective. I was probably the Beaver's age and Wally seemed so much older. And other than getting a warm feeling from his dad (Ward) I never noticed what a handsome man he was!
    My daughter and I had this set to record a few years ago. I fell in love with the show since I had never seen it before. I think we watched almost all the shows. We finally took it off when we were repeating the same ones again. That was 4 years ago. I should look for it again and put it the recording list. It is very enjoyable to sit and watch it all these years later.

CaliLily, I just read about your situation today and I hope you don't still feel guilty. You are in no one way to blame, and I think you are totally justified in dropping your dog-abusing friend.

Your "friend" is the only one to blame for her awful behavior. Even if she had no idea that Mastiffs will tire out and lie down during a walk, that doesn't justify her dragging it home. I don't know anything about mastiffs, but I think I would have enough sense to wait for the dog to start walking again on its own.

Maybe having to deal with the police during this time will make your friend see she has a problem and her values are screwy.

The dog owner sounds like she is doing the responsible thing by hiring the "therapist" to try and help the dog work through this. I hope everything works out for the dog and his/her owner.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3644460;
    My daughter and I had this set to record a few years ago. I fell in love with the show since I had never seen it before. I think we watched almost all the shows. We finally took it off when we were repeating the same ones again. That was 4 years ago. I should look for it again and put it the recording list. It is very enjoyable to sit and watch it all these years later.
    Hugh Beaumont was a handsome man. I even saw some pictures of him before he died in the 1970s with Salt & Pepper hair and still looked good.

I like the show myself, although I am too young to have seen the originals, I watched reruns.

+ Reply to Thread