+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I'm with Unk. In situations like these (actually, in most human/animal situations), I feel for the animal. And no, I'd be dropping that crazy from my circle of friends like that.

I just feel guilty about the whole situation for two reasons. One- I've seen her temper before but brushed it off, and Two- The dog owner had originally called me to watch the dog on Friday but I turned my cell phone off because I was upset about losing out on a promotion earlier in the day and didn't want to talk to anyone. I didn't get the message until it was too late and she had asked our other friend. I feel like if I hadn't been so selfish and self absorbed that this might not have happened.

The police have been knocking on her door for the last couple of days and calling her but she refuses to answer either her phone or the door for them. I can never look at her in the same way again and the trust is gone.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3638546;
    I say take the friend who drug the dog, tie a rope around her waist, fasten the other end to the bumper of your car and drag her butt out of town.
    I'm with Unk and also with Lil'...

I really think if it was me, I'd take her call, find out where she is and turn her in to the police.
    I would be so pissed off, I would figure out a way to get her out of her house (for some made-up reason) and have the trap set for the cops to arrest her. Animal cruelty is just inexcusable and she needs to get that fast. Please keep us updated.

PS - do not feel guilty -- it is NOT your fault that "friend" doesn't know how to act.

We will never be able to control any human being in life. They make their own beds.... I have had friends who really seemed to be on the same page as me and then bam! out of nowhere I find out they are completely different people. Sometimes people I have known for years turn out to be closet anger management people. You are doing the right thing by ignoring her calls and deciding to cut her out of your life.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Your friend needs to get on a credible Mastiff website NOW and talk to a breeder as well as a vet. You can only walk the puppies as far as you can carry them. THEY LIE DOWN when they are tired. Anyone looking after this pup should have known this. They can weigh 70 plus pounds. They are not a breed for a first time dog owner. They are a sweet breed yes, but it will take a long time to undo that damage. Mistreating a Mastiff makes them timid and mean. PM me if you want. I have a Mastiff and this just makes me sick to my stomach. I feel sorry for your friend but more sorry for the dog. Your friend needs to get herself up to speed on this breed NOW. They are wonderful dogs, but not for everyone. They require a lot of work when pups to turn them into the gentle giants they become when full grown. Your friend should re-think ownership of this breed and I hope I never run across this excuse for a human being that would do this to a defenseless animal. I hope the full impact of the law is brought to bear.

CaliLily - Please don't feel guilty about this. You did nothing wrong. Everyone needs time to themselves and taking that time does not make you selfish. This waste of skin who abused a helpless puppy is totally at fault. Certainly not you and not your friend who trusted someone else to behave like any compassionate human being would.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Cali, I agree that it's NOT your fault! It's sad that there are sick people out there that should not be around the young and any animal.

MRD

Cali, you are not at fault. Don'T feel guilty or selfish. We all have times where we need to recharge our own batteries and because you had a bad day and chose to take some time out is not anything to feel guilty about. The person at fault here is the miserable excuse for a human being that mistreated the poor innocent animal.
    I'd have taken her call and I'd have told her what a nasty, piece of trash she was and to stay the hell out of my life.

I sending good thoughts to your other friend and her poor pup and hope that together they can work through this.

I hope the police get the other woman and throw the book at her.

I agree with Unk, drag her down the street and see how she likes it. Break a few of her ribs and punch her in the head. I hope this woman doesn't have children, if she can do that to a dog, she can do it to a child.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3638640;
    She told my other friend that that is how you train dogs, that you are extremely mean to them for their first year (NOT RIGHT!!! THAT MAKES ME SICK!)
    OMGosh. I just find it shocking that anyone would seriously believe that "that is how you train dogs"! Clearly this person knows NOTHING about animal behavior and training!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3638640;
    I just feel guilty about the whole situation for two reasons...
    You should not feel guilty about this. Even if you had seen glimpses of this person's temper in the past, this situation is unfathomable. I also would not hesitate to end your friendship with the abuser. I just cannot imagine being around someone that I knew to be capable of that level of cruelty!!

I would absolutely recommend that your friend talk with her vet about ways to limit the emotional damage caused by this incident. I am also a Mastiff owner and they are generally extremely sweet and sensitive dogs. Abuse can definitely potentially impact their temperament, but since this was an isolated incident I would expect that the damage would be containable with work and lots of positive experiences. When she has mended from her injuries and the vet has given the okay, getting her out of the house and exposed to positive situations will be important for her. Things like meeting different kinds of people, short trips like to the pet store or the dog park, etc. Positive socialization is key for any puppy, but it will be extremely important to reinforce to this pup that leaving the house and being around new people are NOT negative experiences!!

Good luck to your friend and her pup!

One of our standard cable stations recently switched to Retro TV - old shows from my youth. For an hour at noon, they show two episodes of Leave It To Beaver - one of my favorites as a kid. I can't stop watching it! Sure is funny to see it from a new perspective. I was probably the Beaver's age and Wally seemed so much older. And other than getting a warm feeling from his dad (Ward) I never noticed what a handsome man he was!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread