+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6765Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3608730;
    Hang in there MRD. It took me a few days to get used to mine. I have progressive bi-focals, and I've had them for several years, but I still remember how hard it was to get used to them. I called it the "floating floor syndrome". And if I remember right, I had headaches too. I'd say to give them a few days and wear them as much as you can. If it doesn't get better, then go back and have them checked because there could be a problem with the lenses. Good luck.
    If I concentrate and focus, I can see out of each area like I am supposed too, but the problem is I seem to be seeing out of ALL areas at the same time, so some stuff is blurred and some clear (like the trees are clear, the road is blurred). So I know it's a getting used to them thing. But I swear it's the hardest thing I've tried to do in a long time. Since my intermediate distance is fine, the middle is clear. I just need them for reading and for distance and the distance mostly for driving. I also can't read in bed with them on as I lay on my side and boy does that ever screw up which part of the glasses each eye is seeing out of. So in all honestly, I can do around my house without them unless I need to read something. I can see the tv just fine. I want to wear them all the time and I should be able too, I hope.
    ARGH, this getting older crap sucks!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3608767;
    ARGH, this getting older crap sucks!!!
    Ain't that the truth! Wait until you try to read something tacked up high on a bulletin board. You just about break your neck.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3608794;
    Ain't that the truth! Wait until you try to read something tacked up high on a bulletin board. You just about break your neck.
    Oh great, just dealing with reading a book or driving is bad enough. LOL

We're going to the baseball game on Sun. I wonder if this time I'll be able to see the ball when it gets hit or thown. Last time I could not see it.

I've had mine for at least 10-12 year and do remember that first drive home. I really wish someone had recommended having someone else do the driving. I have very sensitive eyes, so I got regular glasses and perscription sunglasses at the same time. After I picked up the glasses, I planned on stopping off at the market to get a few things. Oy! I had such a splitting headache just driving about 5 miles from the eyeglass place to the market.
    Thankfully I had my old glasses with me. I had to change out of the new ones. Then I foolishly put the new ones back on once I got out of the car and grabbed a cart. I couldn't walk! My head was throbbing by this point really something awful, so I bagged the market.

Surprisingly, within about 2-3 days all those crazy symptoms went away. I think I figured out how to move my head in order to see. I also think that I kind of kept the glasses a little lower on the bridge of my nose, if you know what I mean. Like right now, my glasses are not as far up as they should be, but not down as low on my nose as they could go.

I cannot read or watch TV in bed unless my glasses are crooked. I find it really annoying as I too lie on my side in bed.

You will get used to them eventually. But that killer headache and weird walking sensation was very unnerving for me.

I picked up my progressive lense glasses at Costco 9 days ago. I put them on and took hours to get through the store as I was reading the fine print on everything! My adjustment took about 10 seconds. I could not read anything close up with my previous glasses. I had to take them off or at home I would put readers over my other glasses! Fancy, huh? So my new glasses are amazing for reading.

A problem I did have was the wave effect of scanning a table of merchandise. The items seemed to move or be distorted when my eyes moved instead of my head - very strange. But I found it more interesting than nauseating. And I have noticed that my head needs to move more to get the right area in focus...yeah MRD, this part of aging is not that fun.

The frames I got are from the Furla company. Like many things in Costco, they are a model from a few years back. I found them on the web for around $140- $250, but they cost me $99 - pretty expensive for what they have at Costco, but they fit me perfectly and are nice looking, too. The lenses cost $130.00 for the progressive part + $30 for high index lenses and $10 for polished edges. So $270 altogether. Costco doesn't bill insurance, so I still need to do that and will get some of the cost back. I am very satisfied with the whole experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3590332;
    Or the little old man sharing her brewskis?
    That was a good one.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3610099;
    ISurprisingly, within about 2-3 days all those crazy symptoms went away. I think I figured out how to move my head in order to see. I also think that I kind of kept the glasses a little lower on the bridge of my nose, if you know what I mean. Like right now, my glasses are not as far up as they should be, but not down as low on my nose as they could go.
    I've had mine since I was 26 (which is almost 20 years, yikes!). Learning how to move your head really is the key. I almost always wear mine a bit lower on the bridge of my nose too. I don't know why it works, but it does. I can't do with out them so I had to adjust (My long range vision is bad enough that I have to leave them in the same spot every night or I can't fine the darn things in the morning without fumbling around.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

MRD, I have the same type as Lil Bit. I've had for quite a while. I switched to them even before the DR. said I needed to, because I do a lot of reading and computer work. It does get better fairly soon. If memory serves, I think it was about 1 - 2 weeks. For me, it is so worth it. I can not understand how so many do the reading glasses. I love having this multi purpose, all in one. If I had to keep switching glasses, I think I'd go nuts. Hang in there, it does get better.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I have a question for anyone who is on Twitter. If you set it up to receive mobile updates, do you get a text every time someone you follow posts an update or only if it is something posted directly to you?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD

Thanks guys. When I just needed then for reading. I was buying cheap glasses at Big Lots, Dollar Tree, etc. I had glasses everywhere: by the bed, by my chair, at my desk, in my purse, in the car. I was hoping to get away from all that, but I"m noticing that I don't need them inside my house much because everything I need to do is pretty much intermediate distance which I can still see fine. I do need them for reading. I think it's the distance part that is giving me so much trouble.

But I did try moving them down the bridge of my nose some and that really helped.

My out of pocket expense was less than the Costco expense and I"m not sure if my insurance would cover glasses at Costco. I'll have to look into it as I really need sunglasses with my Rx for driving.

+ Reply to Thread