+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6383Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3552045;
    I have inadvertently found the solution to getting off the phone quickly with solicitors. Just tell them that you are unemployed and can't pay the bills you have. It seems to work with all of them.
    Once when I had a phone call from the political party people I started rambling off in Russian (which I only actually know a few phrases of... but it is enough to confuse people) and they were thrown off and hung up.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I recently got a call that I had "won" an alarm system for my home. I don't enter contests, so I don't know what their angle was, but I laughed and told them I had nothing valuable, so they could award it to someone else.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3552290;
    I recently got a call that I had "won" an alarm system for my home. I don't enter contests, so I don't know what their angle was, but I laughed and told them I had nothing valuable, so they could award it to someone else.
    That's funny, we got a call a couple of nights ago about an alarm system. It was something about if we agreed to put a sign or something in our yard they would give us this security system for free. Gave a whole big sales pitch about how our "neighborhoods" crime rate was increasing. I guess they don't know that we live out in the boonies about 3 miles from a town with a population of less than 5000 people. Anyway, my husband told him that we are protected by a 70 pound pit bull backed up by a 12 gauge shot gun so we didn't have any need for their security system!

We seem to be getting more telemarketing calls lately though. I checked with the National Do Not Call Register and our number is still listed on there, so I don't know what is going on with that.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3552389;
    . . . seem to be getting more telemarketing calls lately though. I checked with the National Do Not Call Register and our number is still listed on there, so I don't know what is going on with that.
    It's likely that the companies are using the legal loophole of offshore call centers.

A long time ago, for a few weeks when I was between jobs, I worked as a telemarketer (talk about incentive to find a good job!). A huge policy that was hammered into us was to never, ever be the first one to hang up -- no matter what. And our calls were monitored at random. The kindest thing you can do to a telemarketer to whom you don't wish to speak is to just hang up. Don't give objections, don't give reasons, don't try to be polite. Just say "put me on your 'do not call' list," and just hang up.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3552045;
    I have inadvertently found the solution to getting off the phone quickly with solicitors. Just tell them that you are unemployed and can't pay the bills you have. It seems to work with all of them.
    I'd actually used that line, truthfully, a time when I was unemployed. And, this was for a charity that I have donated to for years. The solicitor would not take No for an answer and even when I said the above, she informed me that I could pay with a credit card. ....As if that's free, huh????
    Needless to say, I did call this charity back to complain about their insensitive solicitor.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The charity, I'm sure, trained the telemarketer to use the credit card line as a rebuttal. And if the charity contracted out to a telemarketing company, it agreed to that tactic. Not that they'll ever tell you that. I'm sure that after they smoothed your feathers, they gave the telemarketer a pat on the back for doing what they trained her to do. And likely gave tips for how to give a stronger rebuttal.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Actually that's not the case. I have known this charity for years and so I do know them, people there and how they operate.
    They did not condone that behavior and never would. They happen to have a sterling reputation and I don't think they'd risk it for some over zealous, albeit callous volunteer.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3552290;
    I got a call on my cell phone from a company once. They were like, "Hi! You signed up for a free mortgage quote!"

I as like, "Uh... no I didn't."
    Them: "Oh... you didn't?"
    Me?: "Considering I don't even live in the house I live in, I would doubt I'd be wanting a mortgage quote."
    Them: "Oh... ok. I'll take you off our list then."
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3549612;
    He got rid of the door to door religious people by carrying his pistol when he answered the door. It was sort of by accident. He had been at the gun range and when he got home was cleaning it when the doorbell rang. He didn't put it down to answer the door. The religious people looked at him, looked at the gun and took off and we never got bothered again in that house.

He is always quick with the one liners. Me, takes me about 2 hours and then I can come up with something. WAY too late. The Jenny thing was just hysterical. I mean, what were the odds of getting multiple wrong numbers for "Jenny"???
    I got the religious door to door people to stay away. Actually... my dog did. The last time one came to my parent's house (I still lived at home then.), the knocked on the door, and while I was trying to convince them I wasn't interested, my dog squeezed past me and bolted. They atleast helped my try and chase him down before the dog ran into a moving car. The dog was fine, just a small cut on his paw. But the poor car had a nice dent in the front quarter panel.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

The most frequent religious people we get around here are young Mormon men. They are typically quite polite so I just tell them that I am quite happy with my current belief system and I'm not really interested in discussing it with them. They usally leave with an "Okay thanks" and that's it.

Now my dear husband, on the other hand, will tell them to come back later when his wife it at home. Uh, thanks hun...

+ Reply to Thread