+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6383Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

There are also three more Sweet Potato Queen books;
    #2 is God Save the Sweet Potato Queens
    #3 is The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men: Every Man I Love Is Either Married, Gay, or Dead
    #4 The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner)

They are all hella funny too. I even checked into the Sweet Potato queens website, but found nothing to interest me there, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo Jill Conner Brown and failing miserably. Besides, we all know who the REAL Queen is!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I adore the Sweet Potato Queen books, they are a hoot. I like their book about men.

Jill Brown's sister wrote a book called "Southern Divorce" or some such thing about her divorce and life with her ex husband and his brown dog. That was pretty cute.

I read the Ya Ya sister hood and couldn't get into it for some reason. The movie was ok but also didn't hook me in.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    After the thank you note discussion I got these tips today. Thought I would share as the tips are really good, but the thank you note one is in there. So see! I'm not the only one!
    BTW, the babypowder one I've used and it really works well. Even at the playground for playground sand.

Reheat Pizza
    Heat up leftover pizza in a non-stick skillet on top of the stove, set
    heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No
    soggy micro pizza. I saw this on the cooking channel and it really
    works.
    myrosiedog: These tips are fantastic!! What's odd about the pizza one is that I've been doing that for years..ever since I saw an eeee-vil John Ritter do the same thing on BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER! His character was some twisted nut case that made FemBots and drugged people but when I saw him heating up the pizza slices in a pan, I thought, "I've got to try that!" and sure enough, it works!

And, it sounds like we have our own Sweet Potato Ya-Ya's...right HERE, in this thread! Your stories are a hoot and a half!

I'm going to have to go to amazon and check out those Sweet Potato stories; I saw the Ya-Ya movie and hated it but it sounds like the book(s) were much funnier.

queenb: I think it was YOU, who wrote about the Sweet Potato queens, but I couldn't tell if they were real or characters from the post. Do they really have Sweet Potato Chapters? I joined the Red Hats a couple of years ago but dropped them like a hot...er...sweet potato. The chapter I was involved in couldn't find anything for it's members to do UNDER the $100+ price range with each get-together and they were always, always soliciting for money for various charities each meeting...too costly for me to have fun any longer. What's wrong with FREE fun or less than a hundred Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers?
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    myrosiedog: These tips are fantastic!! What's odd about the pizza one is that I've been doing that for years..ever since I saw an eeee-vil John Ritter do the same thing on BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER! His character was some twisted nut case that made FemBots and drugged people but when I saw him heating up the pizza slices in a pan, I thought, "I've got to try that!" and sure enough, it works!

And, it sounds like we have our own Sweet Potato Ya-Ya's...right HERE, in this thread! Your stories are a hoot and a half!

I'm going to have to go to amazon and check out those Sweet Potato stories; I saw the Ya-Ya movie and hated it but it sounds like the book(s) were much funnier.

queenb: I think it was YOU, who wrote about the Sweet Potato queens, but I couldn't tell if they were real or characters from the post. Do they really have Sweet Potato Chapters? I joined the Red Hats a couple of years ago but dropped them like a hot...er...sweet potato. The chapter I was involved in couldn't find anything for it's members to do UNDER the $100+ price range with each get-together and they were always, always soliciting for money for various charities each meeting...too costly for me to have fun any longer. What's wrong with FREE fun or less than a hundred Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers?

I think the red hat societies are great. But not for me. I am going to start the Pink Flamingo and Margarita society. I'm not as um, subdued, as some of the red hats I know. LOL!

The Sweet potato queens are real peopl and they really do have chapters around the US, but they aren't nearly as fun as what I read in the books. Mostly wannabees.

Loved those tips. I have been putting pizza in the toaster oven, but it cooks the top too much, will try the pan. I like the egg salad idea. I've been doing meatloaf like that for years and never thought about doing egg salad like that. I don't like the feel of the meatloaf on my hands.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I think the red hat societies are great. But not for me. I am going to start the Pink Flamingo and Margarita society. I'm not as um, subdued, as some of the red hats I know. LOL!

The Sweet potato queens are real peopl and they really do have chapters around the US, but they aren't nearly as fun as what I read in the books. Mostly wannabees.

Loved those tips. I have been putting pizza in the toaster oven, but it cooks the top too much, will try the pan. I like the egg salad idea. I've been doing meatloaf like that for years and never thought about doing egg salad like that. I don't like the feel of the meatloaf on my hands.
    myrosiedog: Regarding the pizza in the pan: I found that you must keep a lid on top of it, or the crust crisps but the cheese NEVER melts. I have glass lids so it's easy to moniter the activity; plus, I keep the heat really, really low to do the entire process. But it's SO good when it's done! And to think that I used to chuck out pizza leftovers to the raccoons before I did this!

I hear about a lot of Red Hat chapters doing really fun stuff but my chapter was so deadly serious. It was a lesbian chapter and I swear, I wanted to turn back to straight after a couple of months of them. I felt like I was back in High School and we couldn't have fun without a political cause attached to anthing: Save the Whales, Save the Ozone, Save Blah-Blah-Blah! While other Red Hatters were going to see the Jackie Kennedy exhibit at the Field Museum, our group was holding a Fund Raiser for Hurricane Katrina Victims. While other Red Hatters were organizing trips to the movies for fun, our group would organize trips to other states to support some Important topic or such. It was NEVER about fun, it was more like they had a group of us together to champion the leaders pet charities. When I was asked to play poker at one of the last meetings I went to, and I said, "I don't play poker", I was then asked to "donate $20.00 to the kitty, anyway", as the money was going to an abused woman's shelter.

Now, I certainly do my part for society and give donations and food and money to causes, but it's MY choice and not mandated by others. I still get all the emails and they are still fighting "the good fight" with each other. But, if I wanted to become an activist, I'd join a specific group that had an agenda, not a group of women who are supposed to be having FUN. Seems like they lost the joy in life. P-f-f-f-f-t-t-t-t!

I'll join your Pink Flamingo Group, myrosiedog! As long as you don't ask me to hand out political campaign buttons or sign petitions, I'll help you drink margaritas and "take my top off" in our group convertible!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I reheat pizza by putting it on a sheet of aluminum foil and heat it in the oven for about 10 minutes at 375. Then it's crisp (the crust) and gooey (the cheese). Delicious!

People reheat pizza???? I just eat it cold for breakfast.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    The microwave is usually good enough for me.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    People reheat pizza???? I just eat it cold for breakfast.
    Right on!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    myrosiedog: Regarding the pizza in the pan: I found that you must keep a lid on top of it, or the crust crisps but the cheese NEVER melts. I have glass lids so it's easy to moniter the activity; plus, I keep the heat really, really low to do the entire process. But it's SO good when it's done! And to think that I used to chuck out pizza leftovers to the raccoons before I did this!

I hear about a lot of Red Hat chapters doing really fun stuff but my chapter was so deadly serious. It was a lesbian chapter and I swear, I wanted to turn back to straight after a couple of months of them. I felt like I was back in High School and we couldn't have fun without a political cause attached to anthing: Save the Whales, Save the Ozone, Save Blah-Blah-Blah! While other Red Hatters were going to see the Jackie Kennedy exhibit at the Field Museum, our group was holding a Fund Raiser for Hurricane Katrina Victims. While other Red Hatters were organizing trips to the movies for fun, our group would organize trips to other states to support some Important topic or such. It was NEVER about fun, it was more like they had a group of us together to champion the leaders pet charities. When I was asked to play poker at one of the last meetings I went to, and I said, "I don't play poker", I was then asked to "donate $20.00 to the kitty, anyway", as the money was going to an abused woman's shelter.

Now, I certainly do my part for society and give donations and food and money to causes, but it's MY choice and not mandated by others. I still get all the emails and they are still fighting "the good fight" with each other. But, if I wanted to become an activist, I'd join a specific group that had an agenda, not a group of women who are supposed to be having FUN. Seems like they lost the joy in life. P-f-f-f-f-t-t-t-t!

I'll join your Pink Flamingo Group, myrosiedog! As long as you don't ask me to hand out political campaign buttons or sign petitions, I'll help you drink margaritas and "take my top off" in our group convertible!

Hmm, I thought the red hats were purely social. Hmmm.

Well the Pink Flamingo & Margarita club is about fun. Once or twice a year, we can do Relay for Life or the Breast Cancer walk (dressed in Flamingo gear with margaritas afterward), but the rest of the time we will be about fun!
    Silly, irreverant, sarcastic, and whatever else words you want to describe it: FUN!! We will listen to fun music and we will dance and wear outrageous clothes (certainly not ones suited to "our age") and make everyone around us jealous that they are not having as much fun as we are. No politics allowed, I save that for another organization I belong too.
    This is purely a wacky, fun club and no mandatory red hats either. You can wear what you want, but pink flamingos would be nice.

I'm all for volunteering my time, giving my money, like you said, but when you want to socialize, you want to socialize, not be forced into activism. That should be a choice anyway not a mandate.

Add me to the cold pizza for breakfast club. I eat it that way too. I've also been known to eat cold lasagna for breakfast. I am not a huge egg fan except boiled, so I tend to eat weird stuff for breakfast anyway. I'll eat a piece of lunch meat and a piece of cheese rolled up together for breakfast or even a sandwich. And I'm not all that crazy about cereal or oatmeal either. Sometimes I get the cravings for both, but normally, I don't eat most breakfast foods and I don't like sweets for breakfast (which is weird as I will eat them the other 23 hours of the day! )

NOTE: let me add that the Pink Flamingo & Margarita club does not discrimminate on the basis of age, gender, sexual orientation, race or anyother way the human race trys to pigeonhole people. It is strictly for anyone wanting to drink margaritas, tell jokes and have fun and be wild and crazy for a few hours. (kind of like college all over again! )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread