+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6764Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3510056;
    I remember a few years ago when I asked my maternal aunt about her experiences with menopause, as my mother had died very young.
    My aunt told me about being in the A & P ( supermarket ) and looking up and seeing the light go around. To which I said , And...." Her response to me was, "that's it". Sheesh...........
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Of my mother and her 6 sisters only 2 have made it to menopause naturally before it was surgically induced. My mom was 36 when she had a radical hysterectomy, one of the aunts passed away last year (she was perimenopausal at 36! I'm 38) and the other aunt doesn't talk to the family. So I seem to be SOL when it comes to personal familial experience. My apology to the men and others who have no interest in menopause LOL I don't mean for the thread to degenerate into hot flash central. Thanks livin4, I found that site and I think I will check it out again.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3510112;
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Of my mother and her 6 sisters only 2 have made it to menopause naturally before it was surgically induced. My mom was 36 when she had a radical hysterectomy, one of the aunts passed away last year (she was perimenopausal at 36! I'm 38) and the other aunt doesn't talk to the family. So I seem to be SOL when it comes to personal familial experience. My apology to the men and others who have no interest in menopause LOL I don't mean for the thread to degenerate into hot flash central. Thanks livin4, I found that site and I think I will check it out again.
    Keep in mind, though, that everyone is different in their experiences. Although they always tell you to look to your family and esp. your mother, it's not always the case as their experiences can radically differ from your own. Good Luck.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3510112;
    My apology to the men and others who have no interest in menopause LOL I don't mean for the thread to degenerate into hot flash central.
    Oh but I must add my mothers story.
    In 1968 or so I was 10 years old, but I digress - my Mom was diagnosed with cervical cancer and what occurred was a radical hysterectomy.
    She was 35 at the time and her doctor put her on prescription stuff, I am not sure what does what. Hormomes, estrogen I have no clue. All I know is that she has been taking this stuff forever. --

Fast forward to about 5 or 6 years ago, for some reason her prescriptions did not get renewed before it ran out. SHE HAD HOT FLASHES, etc etc., she told me later on it WAS JUST AWFUL and she will be damn well sure that the day she dies there will STILL BE SOME DAMN pills left.

She is 75 now, so picture a women in her late 60s early 70s going through menopause.. She HATED it for the few days she had it.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3510154;
    Keep in mind, though, that everyone is different in their experiences. Although they always tell you to look to your family and esp. your mother, it's not always the case as their experiences can radically differ from your own. Good Luck.
    I'm nearly 51; Mom's "mental pause" was at age 48. As far as I can tell, everything is still working on schedule -- so I have no idea as to when or how my innards will shut down. Which is okay with me -- except that since I'm almost always cold, a hot flash might bring me up to normal temperature.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Your welcome Duxxy. My Mom died before I even thought to have conversations of that type...almost all of my older female relatives have passed. At 47, I only have very rare mild hot flashes.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3510563;
    I'm nearly 51; Mom's "mental pause" was at age 48. As far as I can tell, everything is still working on schedule -- so I have no idea as to when or how my innards will shut down. Which is okay with me -- except that since I'm almost always cold, a hot flash might bring me up to normal temperature.
    I'm like you, I stay cold, but there are times when it feels as if my head is going to burst into flame. Only my head. Doesn't affect the rest of the body.
    At those times, I feel as if I could dunk my head in a bucket of ice cold water.

Duxxy, I used to work for an OB/GYN and my best advice is to make an appt. and talk to your doctor. Thinking has changed so much on adding hormones, or not adding hormones, etc. that your doctor can tell you a lot more and do some simple blood tests to determine if you are perimenopausal. I worked for an Osteopath, not an MD, so she was great about reccomending OTC supplements for women and not going the drug route if she didn't feel they needed it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

rosie, I don't have a doctor which really pisses me off. We are further north of Toronto and we are in the middle of a doctor shortage, doctors here do actually refuse patients! WE have emerg or walk in clinics but it just doesn't compare to having your own doctor. So I get to go to a clinic Saturday and have my FSH levels checked - wait 6 weeks for a result and have a stranger deliver the news. yay. I'm pretty positive I'm perimenopausal and since this is a natural progression and my symptoms are pretty mild I'm choosing not to take the HRT route until and unless it's absolutely necessary. I have books so I have a good idea of the suppliments I'll need I was just looking more for 'what was your experience' kinda stuff.

Gabriel I can't imagine a woman in her 70's being able to handle the hormone roller coaster. Lucky you Ellen, situation normal I know I'm very early to start even perimenopause but with the track record of the female reproductive health in my family I feel pretty lucky that I haven't had to have surgery. I'm at high risk for a myriad of maladies, my doctor even had me get a baseline mammogram at age 30. This is probably TMI. anyway Experiences welcome!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

"personal summers" are the bane of my existence right now.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I was chemically induced and suffered hot flashes and mental pauses () but I'm mostly over that now. My nemesis is chin hair.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

So is mine. What the heck is up with that? And I can't see it well enough to get rid of it all. I guess I could go and have it waxed.

Well, I have woken up and decided Hey, It's Friday. Pfffft. I have to work today, tonight and tomorrow. And what I have to work today is so not up my alley, so not what I want to do, but hey, it's a paycheck.

TGIF to all the rest of you today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread