+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6958Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

In 1978, We went on a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas and then to Disney World. We were in the bottom of the boat and it was horrible. We had fundraisrers all year long and I almost didn't get to go because of a English term paper that I had trouble writing (imagine that).

My school didn't even have a senior trip, period, in 1978, and it was a huge school with 400+ in the graduating class. After graduation I went with 2 friends to the beach to celebrate, but that was it. My parents sure didn't pay for it, either, I had to use money saved from my job. Then again, ten dollars was considered a good graduation gift then--twenty from parents and grandparents. And most of the parents of students at my school were fairly well off. My, how times change!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I don't know if our class had a senior trip. I graduated my junior year and missed all that senior year stuff. When I tell my kids that, they don't know whether to feel sorry for me or envy me.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3504605;
    In 1978, We went on a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas and then to Disney World. We were in the bottom of the boat and it was horrible. We had fundraisrers all year long and I almost didn't get to go because of a English term paper that I had trouble writing (imagine that).
    Our cabins were in the bottom of the boat too. I don't think I was in mine except to shower and change clothes. There was certainly no sleeping and because of the laws and the ship being registered in another country, we could all drink once we left US waters. So there wasn't a lot of sober students either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My class went to Six Flags in New Jersey, but I was working at my old camp that summer and had to go to training instead. Plus some of us had gone weeks earlier for Physics Day, so I didn't feel like I was missing much.

We went to Six Flags for the senior trip in the 8th grade.10 years ago....
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

"Senior" in 8th grade? Your school district is drastically different from ours. We defined "senior" as either 12th grade (high school) or the fourth year -- or undergrad beyond 36 credits -- in university.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I graduated during the time in which the 6th grade was still a part of elementary(and yes, i graduated from that too), then i went to a JHS that had 6(i think) through 8 in one building. Just divided into special sections(bilingual kids had their own row, their was a Science row, etc), which made for a large graduating class. Now that i think about it, i didn't go to the 6th grade senior trip.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

My daughter graduated from Kindergarten, 5th grade, 8th grade and would have in 12th grade had she not finished early. I think that some of these graduations are rather much and take away from the all important, 12th grade graduation.

ETA: I forgot about her pre-K graduation too. No wonder she wanted to finish school early, she had graduated enough.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Our senior trip was a weekend up at Mt. Snow in VT. I was one of 93 girls in the graduating class (all-girl Catholic school). The class was really split as to where to go....some wanted to go skiing, others wanted to go to Boston. It got sooo bad that the kids that wanted to go to Boston boycotted the senior trip and stayed home.

We then were allowed to bring girl friends from other schools along with us if we wanted. I think we had to have a minimum number of kids.

We basically had this little lodge all to ourselves......until four ski-bums showed up that Friday night for the weekend! They couldn't believe they were booked in the same place as all these girls.

We filled up the bathtubs with ice for the beer. When one of the chaperones discovered that, we then stuck the beer outside the window in the snow...til they went to bed.

We stopped off at a nearby grocery store before we pulled into the lodge and couldn't believe they sold WINE in a grocery store.....so we made the 18-year-olds in the crowd load up on some wine. (NY is only now trying to make it legal to let grocery stores sell wine, so that was new to us)

I really don't remember my siblings doing any kind of senior trips. Will have to ask them next time we all get together or I send out an email.

My kids didn't do a trip when they graduated, but they do have a senior dinner on a cruise boat up at Lake George.

+ Reply to Thread