+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5806Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3503634;
    Since it's graduation season, where have you guys gone to on your senior trips? We unfortunately didn't go anywhere. My brother is going to Washington D.C. overnight.
    Our senior trip (Oak Creek High School in Wisconsin) was, including travel time, a week: three days in New York (Manhattan) and three days in Washington D.C.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3503634;
    Since it's graduation season, where have you guys gone to on your senior trips? We unfortunately didn't go anywhere. My brother is going to Washington D.C. overnight.
    This was a long time ago, but we got on a bus and traveled 30 miles or so to Disneyland. We got to stay up all night. My daughter's class of 2005 got to go to her own gym for an all night party. That was it.

A trip to Washington DC sounds wonderful.

I didn't get to go on a senior trip: it's a long story. My family was very tight on money, and I had to choose: either go to Puerto Rico on a mission trip with my church, to a YL camp with the YL group, or go on Senior Spree (the all-night post-graduation party. I chose to go to Malibu, but well, I've had many emotional issues in my life and I had a huge panic attack the first time I had gone, and so I got kicked off the trip two weeks before I was supposed to go. The worst part? The money was refunded and I never saw a dime of it-I had fundraised my butt off, including yardwork that got my legs completely bitten up.

Apparently for Spree, they went on an Argosy cruise on Puget Sound and then went to a pool hall. Honestly, I'm glad I skipped. The year before, they almost cancelled Spree. When my dad went on Spree when he was that age, they were bussed to the train station, and they had a train rented out with a rock band at either end. It went up to Bellingham (almost two hours away) and they had the ground floor of a hotel, where they had a dance as well as a dinner. Then the next morning, there was a breakfast, and they came back. Oh yeah, it was FREE. I think it was due to not only fundraising, but it could be from the PTA as well.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

MRD

We went on a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas. Fundraised all year for it. Was great. We were the last class allowed to go on a Senior trip. This was way back in 1980.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It wasn't really a senior trip because all students were welcome to go, but when I was in HS I got to travel cross country in Mexico with my Spanish class for 2 weeks one summer. It was amazing. We got to climb both Aztec and Mayan ruins, see more cathedrals than I could count and visit many beaches all over the country. It was a trip that I will never forget. My favorite part was the Mayan pyramids at Chichen Itza. If you ever get the chance to go to Mexico make sure you visit these, they are well worth it.

An hour outside Cancun we also got to visit another Mayan village and go down into an underground lake to go swimming. Being in a cave was amazing, being in an underground lake with bats flying around you as you are swimming in what looks like a bottomless spring in near darkness with only the light from the opening in the rock illuminating the cave was absolutely thrilling!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

My senior class trip was a week in Washington DC. This was in 1977 and Mondale was Vice President so, being from Minnesota, we got a few extras thrown in like a VIP tour of the White House, (which probably meant that we got to see one extra room than the usual tour), a tour of the executive office building and we all got to sit in the VP's desk chair. There were no Senators around when we were there and my friends and I snuck into an elevator that said "Senators Only". When the doors opened there stood a huge security guard with a very stern look on his face. He gave us hell, but let us go. How different would that have turned out today?

For a Minnesota kid who had never been further east than Wisconsin, further south than Kansas, and further west than S. Dakota at the time, seeing the ocean for the first time and driving through the Shenendoah Valley was the most memorable. I also really enjoyed the Lincoln Memorial, the Smithsonian, Arlington National Cemetery, Monticello and the cherry blossoms. I've always said that I'm going back someday, but it hasn't worked out so far.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

My senior trip was actually a senior skip day. Pretty much all of us went to a dam that had boating (canoes) and we played baseball, football, frisbee, and badminton. Several of us went canoeing and ended up on an island that we found out (the next day after symptoms appeared) was filled w/poison ivy. Since we were all sitting around a circle, we all got it on our private areas. It was a carefree day. I received a plane ticket for graduation and went to New Orleans (I stayed w/a friend who was a stewardess). I got to enjoy the French Quarter and the jazz! I also saw things for the first time and my eyes bulged!! "Ladies" swinging on a trapeze and aksing us to come in for the show! What a difference from a small farm community!

We went to Kings Island. Not a big trip (about 1-1/2 hours away) - but it had just opened and that was the first time for many of us. The same year the Brady Bunch episode was filmed there.

Our graduating class was 673 strong - not easy to go on any major trips.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

My senior trip was a 3 day all inclusive top of da line stay in Branson MO. About all I remember was a swim in the hotel pool and trying prime rib for the 1st time.

My very best friend was barred from going because we had snuck into a bar in KC, MO on a field trip earlier in the year and had a cocktail. She got caught. I didn't.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

From the Bellamy Brothers' Old Hippie

He was sure back in the 60s that everyone was hip
    Then they sent him off to Viet Nam on his senior trip
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread