+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7195Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD
    Doxie, I am about your grandmother and her friends.

Yep those convertibles come in handy huh?

I have a friend that is married to this woman that will not ride in a convertible or boat, will not go swimming, etc. as it will mess up her hair/makeup, etc.

To say she is not fun is an understatement and he's such a fun guy that I have never understood this relationship, but to each his own I guess.

Me, let the wind fly, I'd rather have fun than look good anyday (that ship has sailed anyway!)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It's official--I am an old fart. I picked up my first pair of bifocals this morning.

"The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Somebody at the radio station had a dark sense of humour, today. It's snowing outside so they decided to play CHRISTMAS MUSIC! Yeah, that's right, both Jingle Bells and It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Of course, the fact that it's currently SNOWING outside, on October 12th, in Chicago, that could be the reason why.

No convertible driving today! For all of you peeps with convertible stories, here's one of mine. Now, baear in mind that "kids say the darndest things;" this was when my brother was about 4 years old. Our grandma on our dads side had a Cadillac convertible and would have the top down whenever possible. The rule was "When the weather's nice, we'll have the top down."

My mom, brother, myself, and both grandma were shopping at the grocery store and the weather had turned nice while we were inside the store. Looking outside the stores windows at the sunshine outdoors, my brother suddenly blurted out, "Grandma! Take your your top off! Take your top off!"

Everyone in line just looked at us (Lutheranville, so much looking but no talking). Grandma was scarlet. My brother kept shouting for her to "take her top off" until Mom figured out he was chattering about the 'top' of the convertible.

Man, we laughed about that for years! My brother, however, was no longer amused by it as he grew up and found embarrassment.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    It's official--I am an old fart. I picked up my first pair of bifocals this morning.

Well maybe now you can see what you're actually posting here-it may surprise you!

I'm not too far behind you. I just haven't made the appointment. At this rate I'm thinking trifocals.

My husband went inside to get the binoculars for me to see that what I kept insisting was an owl on the roof was actually a squirrel. Damn him, I hate when he's right and I'm blind.

(BTW, I passed old fart status long ago. My teenager told me when it happened)

newfherder: Didn't you know that glasses are really fashionable these days? So is seeing!

lambikins: What a hilarious story about taking the top down. Way too funny! So sorry to hear about the snow. We've been on the brink for days now. Brrrrrr.

myrosiedog: I think you were right. It's an owl dressed as a squirrel. Halloween's coming ya know.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    My eye doc's office calls these "progressive" lenses, 'cause they said a lot of patients refused to buy "bifocals" 'cause it made them feel old. I'll be needing these in a year or two as well. Sigh.

I got LASIK surgery about 7 years ago. I only need reading glasses now.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I've had progressives now for a while. I swear the day I turned 40, the eyes started going. I had to have my glasses on to read the top half of the paper, but take them off to read the bottom half.

I am seriously thinking of Lasik surgery. My sister did it 2 years ago and sometimes needs reading glasses. She's in her mid-40s. My daughter had it done about a month or two after my sister...and she was only 21 at the time. She has had no problems. But I have to get over the ick factor first...when I took my daughter in for her surgery, I was asked if I wanted to watch the procedure being done. I couldn't do it!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Somebody at the radio station had a dark sense of humour, today. It's snowing outside so they decided to play CHRISTMAS MUSIC! Yeah, that's right, both Jingle Bells and It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Of course, the fact that it's currently SNOWING outside, on October 12th, in Chicago, that could be the reason why.

No convertible driving today! For all of you peeps with convertible stories, here's one of mine. Now, baear in mind that "kids say the darndest things;" this was when my brother was about 4 years old. Our grandma on our dads side had a Cadillac convertible and would have the top down whenever possible. The rule was "When the weather's nice, we'll have the top down."

My mom, brother, myself, and both grandma were shopping at the grocery store and the weather had turned nice while we were inside the store. Looking outside the stores windows at the sunshine outdoors, my brother suddenly blurted out, "Grandma! Take your your top off! Take your top off!"

Everyone in line just looked at us (Lutheranville, so much looking but no talking). Grandma was scarlet. My brother kept shouting for her to "take her top off" until Mom figured out he was chattering about the 'top' of the convertible.

Man, we laughed about that for years! My brother, however, was no longer amused by it as he grew up and found embarrassment.
    Lambi, that is hysterical. Poor grandma.

My mom (yeah another mom story) had my niece in the car with her and she got cut off and yelled "You sorry Bas*ard: at the driver. My niece was 3.

Later on that week my SIL is in her convertible with the top down and got cut off at the gas pumps (this was in the 70's during the gas crisis) and my 3 year old niece stands up (before car seats too obviously) and yells over the top of the windshield: "You sorry Bas*tard!!!). My SIL said she thought she'd die and then asked: WHERE did you hear that?
    Of course my niece tattled and my mom got a talking too. Didn't faze her tho.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Aren't the 'progressive lenses' the no-line bifocals? I remember mine...it's not unusual for the eyes to start to deteriorate in your 30s...like mine did. I've always had the problem with farsightedness. I've also done the surgery, only mine is called Pre-lex. They take your natural lenses out and replace them with artificial lenses...like for cataracts, except that I didn't have cataracts (which meant I had to pay out of pocket.) One eye is corrected for near vision (reading), and one for far. The surgery was fairly simple, and I now see better than I've ever seen in my life.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread