+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6540Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

myrosiedog. My local Safeway has fancy new carts that keep people from being able to liberate them. If you push a cart over a yellow line at the edge of the sidewalk, the wheels abruptly lock up.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Maybe this is an urban thing, but both young and old women use these carts to go back and forth to the grocery store of just plain shopping for anything. At our urban Farmer's Markets, it's almost an accessory, along with the cell phone and the dog, done up in the latest fashion.

They used to be pretty ugly, but with so many people in the city choosing to NOT have cars, they now come in colors and nice liners so when it rains or snows your purchases don't get wet.

I have two: one for the city and one for the cottage. Even though I don't have a single step into the cottage (you could shuffle through the front door) I keep it in the breezeway so that I can grab it when I have multiple loads of crap to drag inside. It sure beats going back and forth 6 or 8 times, just to bring in your shopping.

http://www.furniture2yourdoor.com/prodimages/shoppinglaundrycart.jpg

All our hardware stores sell them here, but here's a link if you need to order them.

http://www.furniture2yourdoor.com/shopping-carts.php

OMG! I was just telling my husband how I want to get my parents something like a wagon for when they bring groceries, etc, from the garage to the house. This is perfect in that it also folds up!

I was thinking of getting them just a regular kids wagon. We have one here that was my daughters but she still likes to use it when our granddaughter visits, so we are not ready to part with it just yet.

I had no problem opening up the link and as soon as I am done here, I am going to go grab my CC and order one for my parents.

MRD, I am cracking up at your mom's liberating a real grocery cart and you NOT wanting to know any more than that! Too funny!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    myrosiedog. My local Safeway has fancy new carts that keep people from being able to liberate them. If you push a cart over a yellow line at the edge of the sidewalk, the wheels abruptly lock up.
    I know, they have those a lot of places now. But my mom got this cart, oh gosh, I don't even think I was dating my husband and we've been together 20 years and my mom's been gone 6 so this was quite a while ago.
    I can't even remember what we did with it aftewards.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post

MRD, I am cracking up at your mom's liberating a real grocery cart and you NOT wanting to know any more than that! Too funny!
    Well the probably the funniest thing about all of this is my mom had a convertible and the stuff she used to haul in it with the top down was amazing. This convertible had NOTHING on a pickup truck. I remember once sitting in the backseat holding up an 8 foot Christmas tree next to me as we cruised down the road with the top down (and all the looks we got), so I can just imagine seeing her driving with a shopping cart loaded up in the backseat with the top down. And usually she had my tiny little grandmother with her on these adventures, so that makes it even funnier to me. My little white haired grandmother in the front seat and all this stuff sticking out of the backseat.

My mom was a real character let me tell you. You never knew what she would do next!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I couldn't get the link to work, but if its the ones I'm thinking of I see loads of people with those. No the one my mom had was a regular store shopping cart. She "liberated" it from somewhere. I never asked as I was too embarrassed to want to know.
    Do get one, my mom has one and uses it for groceries.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Those grocery carts looks great! I think I'll get one and put my kitties in it when I go for a walk! It needs a couple of windows though
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey
    I think it was the misery of transporting groceries inside that made my mom instill in my sister and me the need to live somewhere that the entrance from the garage led into the kitchen. Both of us now live in houses where the main door we enter from goes directly into the kitchen, which makes a world of difference. Ironically, my mom no longer lives in such a house!

Several years ago, when I was living in an apartment, I had to have abdominal surgery. As a result, I could not lift anything heavy for a while. My mom stayed with me, and carried most of the groceries. But shortly before she left, she mentioned my surgery to the apartment's resident manager / maintenence man, and he continued to remember me as "the girl who couldn't lift things". Whenever he saw me coming home, he'd come out to see if I had anything that needed to be carried, and he'd take in all my groceries for me. (he was the sweetest kindest man ever!) I found myself buying less and less at the grocery, because I didn't want him to have to carry in too much. Once my doctor gave me the all clear to go back to lifting heavy stuff, it took me forever to convince him that I was fine and he didn't need to help me anymore. He finally gave in when I told him that if he wasn't careful, he was going to end up carrying in groceries for every lady who live on the property!

On a totally unrelated note, I indulged in my first Fat Burger today. It was a pretty good burger. The fries on the other hand were a total let down. They tasted like Burger King fries to me, and that's not a compliment!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Oh my goodness!! I looked at those carts, and they are what I've always called "Aunt Alma carts". I used to stay with my Aunt Alma after school, and she didn't drive, so when she had to go to the grocery store, and laundry, she was always dragging this cart behind her. To this day....."Aunt Alma cart"...rest her soul.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Rosie Your story about your mom and grandmother in the convertible is hilarious. I've always driven convertibles and I did haul a christmas tree home in one of them years ago. I think that car still had pine needles in it when I sold it. I also used to pick my grandmother up and take her to church and back every Sunday. On the way to church, the top HAD to be up so that her hair wouldn't get messed up. After church, she and a few of her friends would stand around discussing where to go for lunch and who was going to drive. My grandmother NEVER failed to volunteer me to drive and then she would add "My grandaughter always takes the roof off of the car but if you don't mind the wind, you can ride with us". I still laugh at the thought of 4 or 5 little old ladies basically stampeding towards my car to cram themselves in - they loved it! I informed my grandmother that she should "call shotgun" as they raced across the parking lot and I became very adept at cramming various walkers, canes and giant purses into the tiny trunk of my Mustang.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    doxie, your avatar is too cute! Spider-baby! And your story is too cute, too. Your grandmother was probably very proud of you--especially since the other ladies' granddaughters weren't there to give them rides but HERS was. I'll bet those were fun lunches!

+ Reply to Thread