+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4496Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

It's because there's a little Norm Abrams in all of us
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

As they say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3441815;
    . . . The entire neighborhood has big piles of stuff at their curbs including us. I am now having to restrain my husband from visiting the neighbors piles of junk to see if they are throwing out anything "interesting" that he can "use". . .
    My dad is the same way. Trash day, to him, was shopping day. He'd roam the streets in the neighborhood to see if anyone was throwing out any "good stuff." Then I had this weird feeling of déjà vu when DH started looking around the apartment dumpster at the end of each month because people moving out would throw away "good stuff." Luckily, our place is small, and with a bit of reasoning, he . . . uhhh . . . came up with the idea . . . uhhhh . . . all by himself . . . uh, yeah . . . that we didn't really need other peoples' stuff that didn't match our stuff and that didn't fit into our place. (Great idea, honey! Wish I'd have thought of that!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Isn't this just regular behavior? I've always seen people trolling "set-out piles" looking for whatever they thought they could use. They go around in trucks digging through peoples' heaps. I almost think it would be strange if I DIDN'T see them.

If I really want to get rid of something, I will set it out front with a sign saying "Free to a good home".....and it disappears!

Cracks me up!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I had a guy friend of mine who worked as a garbage man for a few months to earn some extra money (they get paid WELL!) and his wife threw a fit once when he brought home a box of about 20-30 pairs of jeans that someone had thrown in their garbage bins. They all just happened to be his size and in pretty good shape (according to him). His wife ended up throwing most of them out when he left for work the next day
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm a discriminating trash-to-treasure person (if that's possible )... I will pick it up if it's an item I've been considering buying anyway. My best curbside finds were a double stroller and a much-needed lamp that matched my son's room perfectly.
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3441838;
    It's because there's a little Norm Abrams in all of us
    Norm is my husband's hero. He aspires to one day own a workshop like Norm's. However, would not look like that long as he'd soon fill it up with junk and then never throw anything away and it would be slam full of junk.

About 15 years ago my husband ran the county landfill where we lived. He would come home daily saying: "can you believe someone threw this out???" Uh, yeah, I can believe it. He did get his golf clubs and golf bag while at that job. But we also ended up with a set of snow skis. In Florida. Neither one of us ski and at the time weren't likely too. He never understood why I wasn't as excited about the skis as he was. The office at the dump was furnished with castoffs too. I remember that the "common area" had several lazy boy recliners (made the one that Frazier's dad had look brand new and stylish), an old tv, end tables and such that had come in to be dumped.
    That was his dream job and I think that even after 15 years he misses it.
    Last edited by MRD; 05-09-2009 at 01:52 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3441848;
    Isn't this just regular behavior? I've always seen people trolling "set-out piles" looking for whatever they thought they could use. They go around in trucks digging through peoples' heaps. I almost think it would be strange if I DIDN'T see them.

If I really want to get rid of something, I will set it out front with a sign saying "Free to a good home".....and it disappears!

Cracks me up!!
    My son lives in a neighborhood with lots of young couples with small children. Anything that is worth using gets set on the curb and is gone within minutes. I even take my stuff down there sometimes. Toys, stuffed animals, doll furniture and stuff like that can almost cause fist fights. I'd rather do that than to take it to the Goodwill.

Our "dump" has a huge "free room" (actually a whole tin building) that is like a Salvation Army. You bring things you don't want and anyone else can take it for free. I've gotten good stuff there and gotten rid of stuff I would have hated to throw away.
    Count your blessings!

I've even had someone offer me money not to let anyone else go through my junk before he did. He called it "first rights". I turned him down because I wasn't going to stand out there and tell people "No!" until he got back. Idiot man.

+ Reply to Thread