+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

You know, I was a vegetarian (but certainly not vegan - too much work) for many years. Then I had an 'event' where I was told my tastes would change. I didn't believe it, but it's true. I was also told that if I wanted it, there was probably a reason my body wanted it, so I went with the flow.

Not only do I eat meat now, but every now and then a Slim Jim is exactly what I want. I do go with the flow, and it all works out in the end.

I still weigh half of what I did three years ago, and am trying to stop the slide. I think stuff like Slim Jims is my body saying this is one way not to weigh less tomorrow than you do today.

It's quite odd, for so many years, my thought process was into weight loss. Now, I can't seem to stop that. It's not easy to halt many years of one way of life and turn it into another.

In a way, though, and I'm just rambling, on the Slim Jim specifically, it might be like pregant women, it has a specific component that is craved - and there's always a biological reason for that.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3441108;
    I've also found out how to identify if your fruits are Organic as well. I stay away from 8(it's actually my favorite number) as it means that they're genetically engineered.
    I suppose you've never had a Grapple then? They are WONDERFUL! It is an apple that actually tastes like a grape!!! They sell them in the organic section of our store (ironic since they are definately not natural.)
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Zac had a bone marrow test and biopsy today. Matt should have the results Monday. He goes back tomorrow to check his platelets and back Monday for his counts. Hopefully things will start looking up.

Here's a picture from his birthday party Saturday. The kid's a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3441241;
    You know, I was a vegetarian (but certainly not vegan - too much work) for many years. Then I had an 'event' where I was told my tastes would change. I didn't believe it, but it's true. I was also told that if I wanted it, there was probably a reason my body wanted it, so I went with the flow.

Not only do I eat meat now, but every now and then a Slim Jim is exactly what I want. I do go with the flow, and it all works out in the end.

I still weigh half of what I did three years ago, and am trying to stop the slide. I think stuff like Slim Jims is my body saying this is one way not to weigh less tomorrow than you do today.

It's quite odd, for so many years, my thought process was into weight loss. Now, I can't seem to stop that. It's not easy to halt many years of one way of life and turn it into another.

In a way, though, and I'm just rambling, on the Slim Jim specifically, it might be like pregant women, it has a specific component that is craved - and there's always a biological reason for that.
    I have always believed that if you are craving something odd then it's your body saying you need it. Always.

I also eat a slim jim maybe once or twice a year. Sometimes I see one and can't help myself They're just so... bad!

My family doesn't eat red meat (well, I still do sometimes) because my husband was a vegetarian before he met me but had to start eating fish for health reasons. He eats poultry now but won't touch cows or pigs. So it's just easier to prepare dishes that the whole family will eat. I am always amazed when we cook burgers that none of the kids pick a hamburger when they have the chance. They prefer the turkey burgers (which I think is gross). And then if we go to IHOP none of us can stand the bacon because we're so used to turkey bacon at home.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

I cannot do ground turkey. I've tried and tried. It's not the taste, but for some reason it upsets my stomach. So if I do turkey, it's not ground.

Unk, LOVE the picture of Zac. He's my kind of kid. Hope everything goes well.

The city's big art show event is this weekend. All the galleries had big parties tonight and we got invited to the "big" one that is the city council on the arts. I can honestly say I have NEVER seen people put away the booze like I did tonight. It was impressive for the sheer amount that was consumed. And honestly, I think I was the only one that actually looked at the art instead of trying to consume as much alcohol in the alloted time frame. Is this normal? I've never before been invited to an event like this and was kind of shocked at the alcohol consumption. I've seen less alcohol drunk at college tailgate parties. It was very off putting and I'm not a big prude about drinking, but this was in what I call the "sloppy" drunk category. I honestly dont' have a lot of experience in the "arts" community, so am seriously wondering if this is normal everywhere. It was more about the drinking and not so much about the actual art (which was actually very nice). I would not have liked to have been one of the artists on exhibit because NO ONE talked about art. I had several conversations that revolved around college football of all things.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Looks like Zac had a great birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3441618;
    I cannot do ground turkey. I've tried and tried. It's not the taste, but for some reason it upsets my stomach. So if I do turkey, it's not ground.
    Does ground chicken upset your stomach too? (I'm weirdly curious)

MRD

Yes it does. The only stuff that doesn't, is ground beef or pork. I know it's weird. I tried going to a different store thinking that maybe they didn't clean their grinder well, but it has happened everytime I've eaten it. And I've eaten it not knowing I was eating ground turkey and still got upset stomach. We had dinner with friends once who had made chili. About 45 minutes after we ate and were all playing domino's, I had to go excuse myself. I was so sick and when I came back to the table, announced we had to go. Our hosts were concerned of course and said they hoped it wasn't the chili. That's when I found out it had ground turkey in it.

I am the one person that a doctor or hospital worker will go: "WOW, we've never seen THAT happen before". or "OH my, no one's ever had THAT reaction to that medication before". Or "normally this goes SO much better than it is with you." So I think I'm just really weird.
    The ONLY time I've ever received acupuncture, they inserted the needles and then told me to relax for a few minutes. As soon as the door closed, I started itching. By the time the practitioner came back, I had hives at every needle site. She told me that in 30 years of doing this, she had NEVER seen that reaction before. Of course not. It's only me. And probably only me that can't eat ground turkey or chicken. Which I wish I could as I have a problem with meat like roasts and white meat chicken and ground meat is so much easier for me (results of my weight loss surgery) and having something more than ground beef or pork or lamb would be a nice option.

Unk - Best wishes to Zac, and I'm hoping he gets good results Monday from the tests.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

MRD

Today is neighborhood clean up day. The neighborhood association has arranged with the city to come around and pick up unwanted items, yard trash and stuff not normally picked up by city sanitation. The entire neighborhood has big piles of stuff at their curbs including us. I am now having to restrain my husband from visiting the neighbors piles of junk to see if they are throwing out anything "interesting" that he can "use". I said, we just got rid of our own pile of crap, we dont' need other peoples. What is this urge that some men have about other people throwing out "perfectly good stuff" that they feel the need to salvage?

Lol MRD! Sounds like the college town I used to live in a few years ago, except they called it 'rummage week' because they had it the last week of class so all of the students would put the stuff they no longer wanted (like desks, chairs, etc) and other students would 'rummage' through it in case they needed anything. Then when the week was over the garbage men would come by and take all of the left overs away. One year I found a great entertainment center that just needed a little tlc.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread