+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6528Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've always believed that too much togetherness can be deadly.

Met my ex- on the job (which is a male-oriented profession), married, and I proceeded to get promotions (my choice) and he didn't (his choice). The guys teased him about it (he had to address me in a certain way); I didn't. He was a guy with a manly ego; I'm not inclined in that "ego" direction. We are divorced, but that was going to happen anyway. I KNOW he was glad when he retired from that place and got away from the constant threat of my presence! He never knew when I was going to show up out of NOWHERE!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-05-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

There are a lot of married couples who have desks only meters apart in my office. Most of them (who I am friends with) seem to like it. It is convenient because quite a few have the same hours and save gas since they can commute together.

Unlike Shay, my office is very female dominated. We have actually turned quite a few of our guys onto listening to Nora Roberts and Mary Higgins Clark books (boring desk job, we get to wear headphones.) It is always funny to see a husband discussing Nora Roberts plots with his wife in the cafeteria.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

It's nice to hear that working together works out for at least some people! I was convinced that we were just asking for trouble by considering it.

There are numerous other benefits of me taking the new position (I've been battling with this decision for over a month...pro/con lists....even a decision matrix--I'm a nerd to the max). If I stay where I am, my career won't develop any further than it is and we stay in the condo we own and he commutes 2 hrs every day. If I go, it's a huge career advancement opportunity, we move to a small town and buy a house with a yard. And there are tons of other points on the list....

I've considered the "what if we break up" angle but I don't want to dwell on it and I'm not too worried about it. I even thought about how we handled a home reno project together a few years ago (although not directly comparable to working together 5 days a week, home renos are famous for making or breaking a relationship...kinda like TAR I guess). We got through it with minimal arguments...although I attribute that to my easy going nature (and not at all to his tolerance of my blond moments).
    Don't let the small things sweat

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;3435674;
    There are numerous other benefits of me taking the new position (I've been battling with this decision for over a month...pro/con lists....even a decision matrix--I'm a nerd to the max). If I stay where I am, my career won't develop any further than it is and we stay in the condo we own and he commutes 2 hrs every day. If I go, it's a huge career advancement opportunity, we move to a small town and buy a house with a yard. And there are tons of other points on the list....

I would like to see that, lol.

I don't work with my SO, but I do work with my Mom. We get along really well most of the time. Sometimes though she asks me questions that aren't really my job because she doesn't want to "bother" the person she really should be asking. And another reason we get along is that we only work together for 1-2 hours a day, I work 9-5 and she works 4-8:30.

The funny part is when someone new is hired and they hear me call her "Mom". They always get the strangest look on their faces.

I've worked with sig. others and it was never a problem. In fact, it was often a boon as there was a lot to talk about that was work-related. Right now, my daughter and I teach swimming lessons in the deep/shallow ends of the pool at the same time. We share the prep and pick-up and ride together. She showers longer, so I bring Sudoku puzzles and my iPod to wait.
    Count your blessings!

It depends on the couple's ability to separate work and home.
    EXACTLY! I met my ex-wife on the job, we worked together for a couple of years before we got married, worked together for the 10 we were married, and for the 8 years after the divorce. The single biggest problem, at least from my viewpoint, was that she could not, would not, let the day end. I hated when I'd be laying in bed, trying to sleep, and she'd want to yammer on about some job or other.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3434969;
    I doubt that's it. I don't care for this make you jump through hoops attitude. Next thing you know they want you begging for it.
    Actually, they do want to see that you can write and function in a creative manner. That is why they use more behavioral type questions; they're much better predictors of future behavior based on past behavior. I'm not sure what area you are in, but most companies in the country are sitting in the driver's seat. There are a lot of applicants out there who are all competing for a very limited number of jobs. In other words, you need them - they do not need you.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 05-05-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I know a number of married couples who work for my company without issue. However, I believe that my company does prefer married couples to work in separate functional areas of the organization. I'm not sure if it a hard and fast rule or not since it has never been an issue for me. I would try to find out as early as possible if the company you are interested in might have any restrictions of that nature that could be a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;3435545;
    Do any FORTers have experience working with their significant others (as in...employed by the same, small company).
    My husband and I started out as friends and co-workers at the same small company. After 4 years, after being best friends, when we discovered we liked each other more than anyone else, and that we were really, really good at problem-solving together (we worked on a lot of the same projects), we started dating and got hitched 10 months later. We never got sick of each other. That was 15 years ago -- we no longer work for the same employer, but we're still married, best friends, and are still good at problem-solving together.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'm happy to report that my nightmare with technical support *seems* to be at an end! They sent a guy out to replace the motherboard on Tuesday and it appears to be working again now. I am being cautious because I don't want to get too optimistic yet!

+ Reply to Thread