+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3435068;
    My sentiments exactly. Or, perhaps you could invest in a box of sugical gloves, and leave a couple pair between the pages as a public service in the event a germaphobe checks out the book.
    I don't find damaging the books to be any way amusing--I can promise you, at our local library, the book would never get replaced; we get very, very few new books here and certainly no replacements of older books.
    At our library you would be charged for a book you damaged. I agree with those who say that germs aren't that big a problem on a book. A good hand washing after reading should take care of any worry about germs.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3434354;
    Some of these job ads are ridiculous!

Receptionist/Admin Needed for Office Suites
    What the hell does that have to do with your ability to do the job?
    Guess we'll just have to put our heads together and find you a historical receptionist. They surely couldn't argue with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3434354;
    Some of these job ads are ridiculous!

Receptionist/Admin Needed for Office Suites
    What the hell does that have to do with your ability to do the job?
    This is where they separate the men from the boys, so to speak. I'm sure they have a lot of applicants and a creative question like this really does help. So just be prepared for things like this when looking/interviewing for a new job. These types of questions are actually pretty common.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I'll throw my cat at them, she'll give them a history lesson.

eta: I'm mainly asked questions that actually have something to do with the job at hand.
    Last edited by Amy Lee; 05-05-2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I'm a reader and visit the library often. When I come upon a stain of questionable origin, I put a piece of tape over it. That way, my skin doesn't come in contact with it. No harm, no foul. I can, however, understand why it really bothers some people.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

In this economy, I can understand why employers might ask "off the wall" questions. It's a "buyers' market". They (employers) can afford to talk "crazy". The ball is definitely not in the applicant's court.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3435119;
    Nasty is Nasty, and I will not back down.
    :nono Then perhaps you should vandalize the books shelved on either side, since they were in contact with the offending volume :nono
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Do any FORTers have experience working with their significant others (as in...employed by the same, small company). I have the opportunity to take a fabulous new position with the same company my fiancee is starting a new job with next month. I'm perfectly happy with the job I have now, but taking the new one would mean no commute for either of us, sharing lunches, possibly working on the same projects, hanging out with the same work people, etc. But the paranoid side of me is saying that taking the new position means never getting away from each other, limiting our social network, and various other awkward situations my overly active imagination has come up with. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any good (or horror) stories to share.
    Don't let the small things sweat

I worked with my former spouse at jobs both while we were married and after we were divorced. It never created any problems for us.

It depends on the couple's ability to separate work and home. For example, if you do end up working closely together, how will you handle it? What if one of you pisses the other off about some work related issue? Can you briefly explain how you felt, accept that they felt differently, and move on without dragging it home? Will you be able to handle it if you think the boss is favoring your fiancee over you? And the biggie--what if things changed, and you broke up up? (Sorry, I know that's not going to happen, but you do have to think about it)
    I actually met my guy on the job-- and it's been 16 years now. We work on the same crew, same everything. BUT, we do not live together. And we do NOT discuss any at-home issues at work--ever. We only rarely talk about anything that goes on outside the job to other people. And he does not spend time over here every single day--I think that would be the deal breaker for me. I need some time for myself, or around other people, or whatever.
    It is nice to split the ride to work, especially since we've been moved to a new shop 60 miles from my house (and 75 for him!) one-way. Then again, sometimes it's hard to change the subject at home when work is going badly.
    Personally, if I had a job I was fine with, I would not switch just so I could work with my man. I have not had a bad experience with it, but sometimes I do think I might enjoy HIM more if we did not work together. And that would outweigh the benefits of sharing a ride, etc.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread